Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer Deadline Closed: who has done best?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Premier:

Stoke are gonna even harder to beat on there home ground now. Their style will cause any team trouble.

Fulham: Ruiz to the head of Bobby Z

QPR: Two useful additions.

Arsenal: Change of style ?

Sunderland: selling Anton Ferdinand does not sound all that good.

Championship:

Leicester sign Beckford. He might get a few extra points that could make the difference.
West Ham look a better bet

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
QPR have done well in signing Joey Barton and Shaun Wright-Phillips, they may just stay up now. On the other hand it doesn't really look good at all for Everton, can see Jagielka and Cahill both going in January if they're struggling. West Ham have a quality squad and if anyone finishes above them then they'll be promoted. Leeds look like they'll be in a relegation fight this year, players out, no-one in and they have no money.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Depends if the West Ham team gels together. As with Leicester they still might prove to be a bag of ole shite so I'm not going to start worrying about them just yet. In football there are no guarantees of success unless you've got a long-term plan/footballing philosophy and a manager like Gustavo Poyet.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Depends if the West Ham team gels together. As with Leicester they still might prove to be a bag of ole shite so I'm not going to start worrying about them just yet. In football there are no guarantees of success unless you've got a long-term plan/footballing philosophy and a manager like Gustavo Poyet.

I agree. There is strategy and tactics. It is prudent to buy players not just for their skill/talents etc. but because they are what is required as an overall strategy. I wonder if Gus plays chess?

Big Sam and Harry Redknapp have past experiences of wholesale buying and selling and buying new teams. It might get them out of the Championship but it still seems to leave them short of success. I do not know about Sven. Not impressed though. The current strategists are Ferguson and Wenger. Old time strategists can get stuck in a rut though and upstaged by the new managers on the block.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION], I was enjoying and agreeing with your post until the very end there, I don't agree that Wenger is a good strategist. Technically speaking, you didn't say he is good at it but I'm inferring that is what you meant. I think the biggest difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie is able to constantly rebuild his team and shape a whole new one, without a drop off in quality or results. Wenger hasn't been able to regenerate the team he built for their glory years, it's no suprise that they've won nothing for so long because Wenger hasn't put together a squad to replace people like Vieira, Pires, Henry, Ljungberg, Campbell and Toure. Instead he has built squads not good enough to challenge at the right end of the table.

In contrast, David Moyes has constantly reshaped his Everton team. He hasn't had a choice, granted, but the reason they start badly but finish strongly is because it takes him time to mould what squad he ends up with after the window shuts in August, into a competitive and effective team. Losing Arteta is a blow, but they'll recover as a team through playing differently, that's what Moyes does so well. They'll be fine. Arsenal look better with Metesacker, Arteta and Benayoun but I don't have faith in Wenger as a strategist.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
[MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION]
In contrast, David Moyes has constantly reshaped his Everton team. He hasn't had a choice, granted, but the reason they start badly but finish strongly is because it takes him time to mould what squad he ends up with after the window shuts in August, into a competitive and effective team. Losing Arteta is a blow, but they'll recover as a team through playing differently, that's what Moyes does so well. They'll be fine. Arsenal look better with Metesacker, Arteta and Benayoun but I don't have faith in Wenger as a strategist.

There was a league table I saw a while ago that shows points amassed by Prem league managers per pound spent - Moyes was second (a fraction behind Wenger). I suspect that Moyes would be top now if the league was done again - and would have been top then if it had taken wages into account too.

I think that Moyes has consistently been a top-performing manager in the PL. You can see why Ferguson wants him as his replacement, his ability to constantly rebuild teams is first-rate and I really can't see Everton struggling for too long.

On the other hand, I can't see that Wenger has done brilliantly in the transfer market. Mertesacker is a good buy (although I reckon they need two decent CBs) as is Arteta but what's the point of Benayoun? Arsenal's problem is an abundance of classy, skilful footballers who are unable to grind out results - why they want another one is beyond me. They also want someone to score goals to complement an injury-prone Van Persie. They're clearly a top third of the table team but I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to make top five

Agent_Torpor

May 1, 2009
Stoke and Peter Crouch? = waste of time all around.

Wenger and Arsenal are flapping about like a trout out of water. Their signings look desperate and slapdash.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Arsenal's problem is an abundance of classy, skilful footballers who are unable to grind out results - why they want another one is beyond me. They also want someone to score goals to complement an injury-prone Van Persie.

they have that person already, annoyingly for Arsenal and England fans Wenger doesnt see it - Walcott, who is far better in front of goal than he is on the wing. Arsenal is missing something in the managment team, people keep talking about budgets there, the main problem is they dont go after and secure their targets, allowing others to sneak in. they paniced to pay £15m for Oxy-chambermaid because they thought ManU were about to nab him.

West ham have done some decent business especially *if* Bently is over his injuries. Leicster really needed a goal scorer, but im not sure getting a Beckford who was a regular in the Premiership, is going to be up for it much having to drop down a division.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
[MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION], I was enjoying and agreeing with your post until the very end there, I don't agree that Wenger is a good strategist. Technically speaking, you didn't say he is good at it but I'm inferring that is what you meant. I think the biggest difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie is able to constantly rebuild his team and shape a whole new one, without a drop off in quality or results. .

What about the three years when didn't win anything ? (apart from maybe a Carling Cup)

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
I think Bolton have done very well to keep hold of Cahill.

Add to that N'gog permanent deal and Kakuta on loan, they will do just fine this season.

worringly Cahill's contract expires at the end of the season, really suprised they didnt cash in. Fair play to sticking to their guns though.

IMHO QPR made up the most ground yesterday, but that's partly because they were so far behind to start with - almost any Premiership player would have improved them.

Arsenal have bought two lesser replacements for Nasri and Fabregas, and Wenger looks like someone haunted by their capitulation at the weekend. Panic buying.

The biggest losers were Everton (doomed to repeat their bad start followed by strong finish of the last couple of seasons due to losing two important players on deadline day).

I'd also say Stoke (plus bringing in Palacios, negative £10m on Crouch???) and Sunderland (plus getting good money for the useless Anton Ferdinand, negative bringing in rubbish Bendtnar) had a mixed bag.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Deal of the window Santon to newcastle.

West ham did well in champs, think if Sam can get Bentley head right he will do well in this league. Demel was quality buy aswell. They will go up no doubt in my mind just need to sort out there home form.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I don't agree. Stoke and Crouch are the perfect combination although I think they paid over the odds. Also Bruce got the best out of Bendtner at Birmingham so no reason to suspect he won't again

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011

This

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
QPR have done well and should comfortably stay up. West Ham have got some players in who are premier league class if they feel like it (Bentley) but will depend if they fancy the championship. Everton have got to feel pretty shafted losing their play maker

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I agree that Bendtner will be a good foil for Gyan....Sunderland finished on the plus side in my view.

Only Everton a major loser in the Premier League and the question now must be will they lose Moyes? A cheeky offer to join Fergie at Man U might tempt his loyalty and few fans would blame him. I do understand what Kenwright is trying to do in retaining solvency but I can't believe his inability to attract new investors - Dick Knight with no Bloom family in sight? Well unfortunately real fans with real money don't come along very often. Russians/Arabs/Thai's.....take your pick Bill but wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late.

Arsenal? Panic buying to paper over the cracks will leave them short of the mix come the end of the season. Spurs? No cohesion. Not looking good. Stoke will be upper mid. Not sure Blackburn have got enough.

At the important level, West Ham have bought in quality again but Bentley is a hard one to get to play consistently and although he will score a few great looking goals he will give Sam more headaches than he can deal with. Overall he has all the aces covered though and they must be strongly favoured to go back up with that squad playing anywhere near their potential. Leicester have a dream squad but then so do Ipswich on paper.......... Both will come good and challenge for the second promotion place. Southampton didn't improve but wait for the loan window to open as that is where Adkins will do some quality business in my view - certainly going to be there or thereabouts.

Brighton? Looking mighty good with just a couple to come in on loan now and then, like others, let's look again in January and see if it is worth breaking the bank for the final push or whether that is a risk too far. For sure Tony will know what is the right thing to do and whatever happens we look swt up to challenge for the play-offs and from there, who knows? It's a real lottery isn't it. Let's get a big centre forward in, one who like the ball on their head whether back to goal to lay-off or in the box to put away - it paid off last season with Wood and I'm sure Paynter could do the job at the next level (although my Blues' supporting mates say Chris Wood is genuinely looking the business for them). For sure with Vicente we need that one player more than ever as it may be more Plan A now than Plan B.

A midfield of Vicente, Noone, Bridcutt, Harley with LuaLua and Buckley on the bench? What's not to enjoy!!

On the negative side, Palace are looking good for mid table but that is more than offset by watching Leeds struggle....what a greedy man Bates is and like everyone who puts their future in his greasy fat palms LUFC are discovering that loyalty to self comes way ahead of loyalty to club or fans - truly a man with a vision (the one he sees in his mirror that is!).

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
[MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION], I was enjoying and agreeing with your post until the very end there, I don't agree that Wenger is a good strategist. Technically speaking, you didn't say he is good at it but I'm inferring that is what you meant. I think the biggest difference between Fergie and Wenger is that Fergie is able to constantly rebuild his team and shape a whole new one, without a drop off in quality or results. Wenger hasn't been able to regenerate the team he built for their glory years, it's no suprise that they've won nothing for so long because Wenger hasn't put together a squad to replace people like Vieira, Pires, Henry, Ljungberg, Campbell and Toure. Instead he has built squads not good enough to challenge at the right end of the table.

I think Wenger is a strategist (good or bad?) who got stuck in a rut! He has now been shocked into realising this and done something about it. Strategists may or may not be good tacticians. Tactics are what fans notice.

I

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
In our division, I think the following three sides have carried out the best business in the past week (in no particular order):

West Ham - they have boosted their ranks with Baldock, Bentley and Lansbury to compliment their already sizeable squad. Still think with the dinosaur that is Sam Allardyce in charge though that if they were to do well this season it'll be a case of success being won by the board as opposed to the manager.

Burnley - The West Ham duo of Stanislas and Hines along with Danny Ings have all been good additions to Eddie Howe's squad. After a sluggish start, I could see them improving as the season goes on and perhaps being play-off material.

THE ALBION - I'm very, very happy with how we've done. Despite our blistering start to the season, the important thing was that we kept hold of our entire squad, and we have managed to do that. We have also made a superb recent signing in Harley and if and when Vicente joins, that will add some great experience as well as even more FLAIR to our side.

As for the others...

I expected Leicester to be much more active in the transfer market this week than they were - a lot of expectancy will be on Jermaine Beckford following his move from Everton.

Millwall have made some very good bargain basement deals, with Bournemouth's talented Liam Feeney and Jay Simpson of Hull joining.

Blackpool now have Daniel Bogdanovic to challenge Phillips and Taylor-Fletcher up front, could be a good deal for them.

Watford and Coventry have both bought young strikers in Joe Garner and Cody MacDonald respectively - they may help propel their new clubs up the table, but in my opinion they're both a bit of a gamble.

Leeds have lost their star player in Max Gradel, he'll be hard for them to replace (if they can).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here