Trains to the east on Sat. post match.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Just had a look at the timetable for Sat. and we,ve gone from 3 trains in the 1st hour after the game down to 2. Hardly a good way to get us to use them unless they're putting on more carriages.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Without just grumbling for the sake of it, there are some issues with the trains that don't make any sense, and could be easily corrected.

No one, especially after Buckley scoring that late winner, is going to want to miss play to get that 17.02 to Lewes, which serves not only Lewes and East but a lot of people going to Wivelsfield and Haywards Heath. That, with kids, is a very hard train to catch now.

But if you now miss that train and are going to Wivelsfield, basically it's at least another hour on your journey. There is no good connecting service from Lewes for the 17.32 from Falmer.

It's just uneccessary, and there has been a long time for Southern to think about this. Apart from anything else, sensible timetabling going East is going to alleviate the problems going West. A lot of people from Mid Sussex might rather go via Lewes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
is there something wrong with the timetable (or reading of it)? someone said the same in a recent thread, but when i check there's clearly 5 an hour.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Without just grumbling for the sake of it, there are some issues with the trains that don't make any sense, and could be easily corrected.

No one, especially after Buckley scoring that late winner, is going to want to miss play to get that 17.02 to Lewes, which serves not only Lewes and East but a lot of people going to Wivelsfield and Haywards Heath. That, with kids, is a very hard train to catch now.

But if you now miss that train and are going to Wivelsfield, basically it's at least another hour on your journey. There is no good connecting service from Lewes for the 17.32 from Falmer.

It's just uneccessary, and there has been a long time for Southern to think about this. Apart from anything else, sensible timetabling going East is going to alleviate the problems going West. A lot of people from Mid Sussex might rather go via Lewes.

you could go into Brighton. at least one every half hour stopping at Wivlesfield

falmer to Wivlesfield after 5pm saturdays
17:02, 17.15, 17.37, 18.02, 18.05, 18.36, 19.01, 19.05

Last edited:

Matrix10

Jun 7, 2011
Bexhill
Correct me if I am wrong :)wrong:my wife does always:wrong:) but are Southern not running specials to Lewes which will not be listed on the timetable. This gives the opportunity to connect with the London, Eastbourne, Hastings service as well as the Brighton to Hastings service. It also gives a good excuse to visit a few hosieries in Lewes:drink: while breaking the journey.
I understand that they grossly underestimated the crowd for the Gills match, there were therefore insufficient special trains running plus proper coppers were involved elsewhere with the riots, so we were left with the noddies that could not fill a train and they were leaving half full or half empty depending on your view.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i don't think all 'football special' trains are visible on the timetable - at least i've noticed loads of extra trains that weren't listed from my experience so far.

i know the gillingham game didn't work so well on the trains, but can we please please not reach a collective false consciousness about train travel to and from falmer. It's been really GOOD so far in my experience and that's the same with everybody i have spoken to. the system seems to work really well.

VeronaSeagull

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
As far as I was aware the train at 17.50 from Lewes going to Victoria is supposed to stop additionally at Wivelsfield for this exact reason.....granted the driver missed the stop after the Donny game but it was listed as stopping there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports