Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains on Monday- waaaaah! [Update: full match day service]

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Conductors still doing their sick leave protest?

Tried striking, didn't want to lost pay, so they do this instead...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Conductors still doing their sick leave protest?

Tried striking, didn't want to lost pay, so they do this instead...
No. They now need signing off by a doctor for any absence. Phoning up with 'flu doesn't cut it.

And they are now also banned from doing overtime to cover absent colleagues.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Also been told that trains from Falmer going east after 10 are terminating at Lewes, so those of us going to Eastbourne and beyond are well shafted.

Southern have just tweeted me confirming that trains will be running east from Lewes after 10 and no replacement buses needed, apart from very last train east from lewes

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Whatever you do, don't end up as the equivalent of those poor docile saps who always join the hundred yard long queue for Dick's Bar an hour before kick-off. Think outside the box. Unless you actually leave at half-time on Monday. the trains will be unfit for purpose for you. Make other plans NOW.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
An opinion is one thing, sheer ignorance in spite of what has been told to you in this thread and others is ridiculous.

First time I've been in this thread, are you getting confused with someone else?

When you've learnt to read and write English come back with more of your idiotic opinions

Must be annoying to criticise an innocuous typo then forget a full stop. Don't beat yourself up too much though.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Not a night to worry too much about the return journey. It's a lottery with Southern anyway, whatever they tweet now will probably turn out to be bollox. If they say no trains, there will be loads. They haven't got a clue.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Modernisation of British Railways

I don't understand the logic here. I must be missing something, but if most trains have two members of staff (a driver and a guard), why don't Southern just add an extra carriage or two? What exactly is the sticking point that makes it impossible to extend the train by another couple of coaches?

If the numbers of staff are the same on 3-coach, 4-coach, six-coach and 12-coach services, why can't they just send out a service with a few extra carriages - to partially make up for the reduction in scheduled services operating out of Falmer??

They don't want to. Their aim is to make a profit not to provide a service.

NB: Extra carriages is a bit like keeping a second car for use once a fortnight in winter only, cost of depreciation. maintenance and storage.

Excuses, or fares would increase above inflation?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Southern have just tweeted me confirming that trains will be running east from Lewes after 10 and no replacement buses needed, apart from very last train east from lewes

I have just this minute received a tweet from Southern, advising that replacement buses WILL be serving Glynde after 10pm.

#hopeless

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Nope. You commented a few times in this thread: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?336755-Southern-Rail-STRIKE-details and if you had read that thread and this one you would know the facts.

I don't always re-read threads I have once posted in, nor do I read an entire thread before posting.

Having said that, and in spite of your weirdly aggressive attitude, I decided to read a few pages of the other thread to try and educate myself. Didn't find much beyond allegations that Southern have been misrepresenting the causes of certain delays.

???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have just this minute received a tweet from Southern, advising that replacement buses WILL be serving Glynde after 10pm.

#hopeless

I believe that the club have been told that engineering works shouldn't be starting until midnight tomorrow night, with trains running until then. I've let them know about the mixed messaging.

I believe that the club have been told that engineering works shouldn't be starting until midnight tomorrow night, with trains running until then. I've let them know about the mixed messaging.
My latest tweet from Southern (at about 7:05pm this evening) suggested I ask Network Rail's timetable enquiry line. When I phoned Network Rail, the man who was trying to be helpful said that the only trains running east of Lewes after 10:00pm would be at 22:12 and 22:42 - ALL OTHER departures would be buses.

My concern is that there won't be capacity on the rail replacement buses for the numbers travelling to Polegate, Eastbourne, Bexhill and Hastings (and intermediate stations).

My other concern is an operational management one. How does any transport operator achieve the introduction of extra journeys, when rosters (of crew and vehicles) have already been settled - with only 24 hours to achieve the desired result? I'm not just being an awkward clever dick - I ask this question, because I have been employed as a public transport planner for the last 40 years. Changes to rosters at the very last minute are extremely difficult to achieve, without bringing in large numbers of extra staff.

Tomorrow evening, I will drive from home (east of Lewes) to Mithras House in time to catch the P&R bus to the game, hoping (of course) that enough buses are available to provide the P&R service and that they haven't all been requisitioned by Southern to provide a rail replacement bus service that nobody wants to see.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
My latest tweet from Southern (at about 7:05pm this evening) suggested I ask Network Rail's timetable enquiry line. When I phoned Network Rail, the man who was trying to be helpful said that the only trains running east of Lewes after 10:00pm would be at 22:12 and 22:42 - ALL OTHER departures would be buses.

My concern is that there won't be capacity on the rail replacement buses for the numbers travelling to Polegate, Eastbourne, Bexhill and Hastings (and intermediate stations).

My other concern is an operational management one. How does any transport operator achieve the introduction of extra journeys, when rosters (of crew and vehicles) have already been settled - with only 24 hours to achieve the desired result? I'm not just being an awkward clever dick - I ask this question, because I have been employed as a public transport planner for the last 40 years. Changes to rosters at the very last minute are extremely difficult to achieve, without bringing in large numbers of extra staff.

Tomorrow evening, I will drive from home (east of Lewes) to Mithras House in time to catch the P&R bus to the game, hoping (of course) that enough buses are available to provide the P&R service and that they haven't all been requisitioned by Southern to provide a rail replacement bus service that nobody wants to see.

To run an extra service at the last minute as a Controller you'd ring the local crew manager and ask what spare train crew or cover crew you had, in this instance the only depots of use would be Brighton and Eastbourne, the answer straightaway would be NONE owing to the management banning any guards from working overtime.

Normally you'd have at least one spare crew at one of the 2 depots so you'd pinch a train from the sidings , at Eastbourne you would have something you could use off of a commuter train from London then just run an ad hoc service to get everyone where they wanted to be. I did it many times in the past, on such occasions as the Fat Boy Slim gig on the beach when they forgot to put any extra trains on and realised they had 250k punters wanting to get home.

Trouble is now Southern just don't care, they want to paint the narrative of Conductor sickness being the reason behind the cancellations when the reality is that they have never had enough crew for years and relied on overtime to patch it up and because they want to carry on the bullying and being vindictive they would rather cancel trains and leave people stranded so they can keep up their message of it being due to Conductors being sick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here