Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains need sorted before the really nasty teams come visiting

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Four trains an hour in both directions after the match is just not enough. Southern Rail should learn from the Monaco Grand Prix and have trains lined up so they can get all the fans away from Falmer inside 30 minutes. It might not be good for post match bar revenue but I can hardly see some Millwar or Palacescum supporters putting up with a two hour wait for a train. It needs to be sorted and sorted now before something nasty happens.

TNBA

TTF

PS Also the guy who sits next to me wasn't there again on Saturday and i very much doubt he will be there more than 5 times this season, judging on what he told me. A complete waste of a ticket and really annoying since he lives 30 minutes from the ground. If I, who live 450 miles away can get the seat filled with family and friends for the full season, then so should all! Ticket exchanged is most definitely called for, all proceeds split 75:25 to the club.

PPS Apart from the above minor gripes I am really luvvin it! Fabulous game on Saturday and one of the most enjoyable matches I have ever been to.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
After going to Cardiff it does make me realize how much work will have to be done to separate fans when teams like palace come down. Cardiff had a complete fenced in car park for all away fans, which led straight into the away stand.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After going to Cardiff it does make me realize how much work will have to be done to separate fans when teams like palace come down. Cardiff had a complete fenced in car park for all away fans, which led straight into the away stand.

Thats to protect the away fans from the HOME fans though. Not really necessary here.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Let's give them Bennetts Field car park then.
I'm sure nobody here would moan.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
There speaks someone who has no idea how a railway operates. Are you proposing the complete suspension of the timetabled service between Lewes and Brighton?

Nope, pretty sure he was asking for additional services to the timetabled ones. If Brad Pitt can hire a whole train to himself without disrupting the mainline service from London to Scotland, then I'm sure Southern, or whoever, can lay on a few more trains.

Sorry lads, can't get you home from Dunkirk, there's only a service every 2hrs, you'll have to wait til the 1990s.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They've already laid on extra trains haven't they ?

Anyway, I doubt there's loads of rolling stock just laying idle waiting to be used on a matchday. And timetables being what they are, I doubt its overly simple to just simply drop extra trains into the equation at the drop of a hat.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
The signalling system simply doesn't accommodate a more frequent service. Nor do the stations at either end of the line.

I know this is probably old ground for you, but are you really suggesting there is absolutely nothing that can be done to increase capacity in the hour post match?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Clearly something will need to improve before the evening games with Leeds and Palace, but I would hope this has already been thought through and a plan is in place.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Maybe fixtures, but why didn't they extend the platform at Falmer to accommodate longer trains???

I know this is probably old ground for you, but are you really suggesting there is absolutely nothing that can be done to increase capacity in the hour post match?
They are using longer trains already and running as frequently as they can.

That's about it. I dare say if they spent a few million on upgrading the signalling they might squeeze an extra train in, but it's difficult to justify this for a couple of dozen occasions a year, when most passengers would only be paying pennies towards the costs.

Using Platform 3 at Brighton was only possible for short trains. My understanding is that it doesn't work now that the frequency of trains on the Brighton to London main line (which Lewes to Brighton trains have to cross to reach platform 3) has been increased.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I think it will have to be seagull muzzy, if not now when they apply to get the extra 8000 seats i think it will have to be a condition. can see it coming !

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
They are using longer trains already and running as frequently as they can.

That's about it. I dare say if they spent a few million on upgrading the signalling they might squeeze an extra train in, but it's difficult to justify this for a couple of dozen occasions a year, when most passengers would only be paying pennies towards the costs.

Using Platform 3 at Brighton was only possible for short trains. My understanding is that it doesn't work now that the frequency of trains on the Brighton to London main line (which Lewes to Brighton trains have to cross to reach platform 3) has been increased.

my experience of getting to/from Falmer has been varied - by train for Spurs/Gills was without problems. easy.

although there were delays and congestion at Brighton on Sat, it wasn't anything you'd not expect at a big sports event

my only real concern for viability of stadium expansion is evening game post-match congestion. hopefully if they squeeze more people onto trains that come (it's only a 5mins journey anyway), the queue may not seem so bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here