Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Trains innit

Whilst I accept that technically they maybe correct (I really don't know). For the 1st time since the Amex opened we just walked in to Brighton Station and were refused entry as it was after 3 hours from the end of the match.

After an all too rare 3pm kick off we generally go for a few pints in the Prince Albert and catch a train home 9 or 10 ish. Today told it wasn't valid and go and buy a ticket.

Again accepting, but questioning, the rules. What f ing difference does it make to Southern what time I head back with a valid ticket as they still get paid? They've manged to get paid twice.

Always disliked southern, now I hope they get renationalied and fired. Jobsworth wankers.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Whilst I accept that technically they maybe correct (I really don't know). For the 1st time since the Amex opened we just walked in to Brighton Station and were refused entry as it was after 3 hours from the end of the match.

After an all too rare 3pm kick off we generally go for a few pints in the Prince Albert and catch a train home 9 or 10 ish. Today told it wasn't valid and go and buy a ticket.

Again accepting, but questioning, the rules. What f ing difference does it make to Southern what time I head back with a valid ticket as they still get paid? They've manged to get paid twice.

Always disliked southern, now I hope they get renationalied and fired. Jobsworth wankers.
They usually try this trick once a season, hopefully once and never again

Kenn

Jun 15, 2023
For a 3pm kick off free travel is valid until 9pm on buses and trains

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-25-10-40-37-45_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-25-10-40-37-45_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 49

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I went to a game at Southampton last season and noticed similar size crowd how a longer walk to the station disperses people obviously more option to walk, bus etcand walkable pubs butpart of the problem atFalmer is the station is too close so queues stack up. Just a thought.

My other is I hope Man C has trains running and no replacement busses up the London line. Timetable doesnt look great currently.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I went to a game at Southampton last season and noticed similar size crowd how a longer walk to the station disperses people obviously more option to walk, bus etcand walkable pubs butpart of the problem atFalmer is the station is too close so queues stack up. Just a thought.

My other is I hope Man C has trains running and no replacement busses up the London line. Timetable doesnt look great currently.
That is probably why the club is spending a lot of money on a fanzone / bar. We cannot physically move the station / stadium. Southampton central also has 4 platforms and (at least) 10 trains an hour to all parts of the country, it’s going to be quite difficult to replicate that at Falmer. Furthermore on the Man City game, it still may not happen so nothing is guaranteed to happen on that day yet.

Aug 18, 2013
That is probably why the club is spending a lot of money on a fanzone / bar. We cannot physically move the station / stadium. Southampton central also has 4 platforms and (at least) 10 trains an hour to all parts of the country, it’s going to be quite difficult to replicate that at Falmer. Furthermore on the Man City game, it still may not happen so nothing is guaranteed to happen on that day yet
I think the fanzone is just an opportunity to boost revenues and put a new Corporate lounge in where Dicks was that can be sold for a few grand a season. Can't see it making much difference to the travel situation

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I think the fanzone is just an opportunity to boost revenues and put a new Corporate lounge in where Dicks was that can be sold for a few grand a season. Can't see it making much difference to the travel situation
Yeah fair enough, if it entices people to stay and disperse the crowd, it can only help. While it can be improved with more, I don’t think we’re ever going to see the sort of service where you can walk up and get on a train without any queue whatsoever, which some people want, and get a seat, it’s just the nature of the stadium, the line and the frequency. However I don’t think there’s any stadium in the league really where that happens, unless you have to walk back to the city centre.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Yeah fair enough, if it entices people to stay and disperse the crowd, it can only help. While it can be improved with more, I don’t think we’re ever going to see the sort of service where you can walk up and get on a train without any queue whatsoever, which some people want, and get a seat, it’s just the nature of the stadium, the line and the frequency. However I don’t think there’s any stadium in the league really where that happens, unless you have to walk back to the city centre.
Google maps says 45 min walk to Moulsecoomb station if trains DID stop there post match (especially weather ok) maybe some fans would quite happily rather walk there and get on a train with no queue than queue at Falmer? That may disperse some fans too that are going westbound. It may make little difference but it might, and might be worth asking fans, I wonder if the club have thought of this? Obviously it requires train companies co-operation.

Is it the Man C game that trains may run normal service or "nothing happens" its a mix of busses and trains or no trains at all?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Google maps says 45 min walk to Moulsecoomb station if trains DID stop there post match (especially weather ok) maybe some fans would quite happily rather walk there and get on a train with no queue than queue at Falmer? That may disperse some fans too that are going westbound. It may make little difference but it might, and might be worth asking fans, I wonder if the club have thought of this? Obviously it requires train companies co-operation.

Is it the Man C game that trains may run normal service or "nothing happens" its a mix of busses and trains or no trains at all?
Trains do stop there after the game and have done since every game there has been a train service since the stadium opened. Moving crowds to Moulescoomb will just move the problems there as all the trains will be full from Falmer. There is nothing in terms of pubs to actually disperse the crowds, so you are just essentially marching people 45 minutes to queue again. Plus it is a station that definitely cannot handle large crowds. Like I said the Man City game is not confirmed so it is not yet confirmed what the train plan is.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Trains do stop there after the game and have done since every game there has been a train service since the stadium opened. Moving crowds to Moulescoomb will just move the problems there as all the trains will be full from Falmer. There is nothing in terms of pubs to actually disperse the crowds, so you are just essentially marching people 45 minutes to queue again. Plus it is a station that definitely cannot handle large crowds. Like I said the Man City game is not confirmed so it is not yet confirmed what the train plan is.
Fair enough. I think the fan zone may keep a small number of fans back but it has to have an appeal, not just food and drink and not at high end prices. Fans get stumped with that already pre-match. Not sure what would attract fans but if its cold wet outside few toilets, no seats, it'll attract fewer. I wonder have the club thought about using what they already have i.e. inside the stadium - low key concert, shortly after final whistle, retain some fans in the dry in seats and opportunity for food drink sales with an interval after final whistle and between support and following band that sort of thing? i think its useful to explore as many options as possible.

Aug 18, 2013
Yes, that's the club line. But back in the real world you already a stadium that opens late after the game including 1901 lounges and Dicks Bar. What will most likely happen if this new place gets approved is you'll have a marginally shorter queue for your pint in the West Stand because a few people will move to this new bar instead.

The main issues getting away from the Amex occur midweek. No fancy bar is going to change that, people need to get home. But a new fancy bar definitely will give the club an excuse to convert the current supporters bar into more corporate space and make more money in the process, which is their main objective.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Been discussed on here before - definitely a thing. Same at most other grounds - it feels longer at the Amex because you’re stood doing nothing rather than walking to the next mode of transport. Personally I don’t share the mentality the majority seem to have where the top priorities are 1. Getting to/away from the ground as quickly as possible and 2. Walking as little as possible. A 30 min stroll to the car pre and post match is perfect imo, so try to do this home and away much of the time.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
"We are trying to capture more of the money our supporters spend on a match day, by creating a venue where they can meet their mates and buy food and alcohol, instead of going to a pub."
If it was expected to be an expenditure that was not going to be profitable, it wouldn't be happening. It may help ease travel congestion, but I doubt Barber will measure the level of success of the project on the length of the queues for the trains and buses.
It's hopefully a win win, the club gets increased revenues, and we get lower stress transport.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, that's the club line. But back in the real world you already a stadium that opens late after the game including 1901 lounges and Dicks Bar. What will most likely happen if this new place gets approved is you'll have a marginally shorter queue for your pint in the West Stand because a few people will move to this new bar instead.

The main issues getting away from the Amex occur midweek. No fancy bar is going to change that, people need to get home. But a new fancy bar definitely will give the club an excuse to convert the current supporters bar into more corporate space and make more money in the process, which is their main objective.
Is it not possible they want to make ££ - of course they do - but also make the experience better for fans as well ? (Outside Toilets, screens, more choice of food/drink, events, stagger journeys even further) . That’s a good thing - right ?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Is it not possible they want to make ££ - of course they do - but also make the experience better for fans as well ? (Outside Toilets, screens, more choice of food/drink, events, stagger journeys even further) . That’s a good thing - right ?
Some clubs have excellent Fan Zones - Wolves springs to mind pre-game, surprisingly friendly and with those tasty Masala Fries everywhere. However, I don't see people using that one after games at Moleniux.

This might sound a bit 'I'm alright Jack' (sorry @Terry Butcher Tribute Act but hear me out) but I had no issues at all with trains on Saturday. We went very early though and I met some old mates from the Goldstone days in The Swan. Excellent ale, cheesy chips, Hull v WBA on the telly. All the things I'd expect from a fanzone but indoors. Afterwards stayed in the West Lower bar catching up with various mates for a pint and chats about Roma options. Left at 6, got on a train almost immediately, got the 6.30 to Portslade (where we talked to some Everton fans from Newport who had thick Welsh accents!). So clearly staying with your friends and having a beer or three does help with travel.

But......

1) Clearly those options exist already. And give me a proper pub like The Swan over a corporate fan zone.
2) Those options very much do NOT exist after midweek games. Roma could be absolute carnage if it goes to extra time. The very earliest people will get to leave the ground would be 10.30 and, a few in the East notwithstanding, we'd all leave together. People will have connections to catch, school or work the next day. No one's going to be staying for a pint.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
2) Those options very much do NOT exist after midweek games. Roma could be absolute carnage if it goes to extra time. The very earliest people will get to leave the ground would be 10.30 and, a few in the East notwithstanding, we'd all leave together. People will have connections to catch, school or work the next day. No one's going to be staying for a pint.
Putting my non insider hat on, I think this problem will occur regardless of whether there is more or longer trains or not, there will always be more of an impetus to leave straight away at evening games. Ultimately this will never probably satisfy all, and this happens at most stadiums after evening games. Arsenal the queues are much longer after evening games, because no one is having a swift one on the way home, same with Palace, Millwall etc.

Aug 18, 2013
I didn't say they didn't want a better experience, the plans look great and much better than turning up at the ground not being able to have slash or a pint if it rains. But this is a thread about trains, which are unlikely going to be improved by a new bar

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I didn't say they didn't want a better experience, the plans look great and much better than turning up at the ground not being able to have slash or a pint if it rains. But this is a thread about trains, which are unlikely going to be improved by a new bar
Agreed. A few toilets and screens and a different place to shelter and drink and eat before and after a match is not going to make any difference to the train service the train operators provide. But i do think it will make more than a marginal difference to the staggering of journeys and that is , in good faith, one of the motivations for the club to invest so heavily in it. (as well as the obvious - increase matchday revenue and the not always acknowledged - club likes to improve the fan experience)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here