Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train prices set to rise

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All part of the governments plan to make passengers pay for the entire railway. No chance of renationalisation either, the cost to actually run the railway would be too significant. Also compared to how services were ran under British Rail, if it was a full return to then - there would be a major reduction of services.

I also highly doubt train companies will stick the extra 2% on either, the PR for them would be atrocious, Southern decided not to last year for that reason.

The new Thameslink franchise starts soon for the record, additional services to London from Brighton as well as direct trains to Cambridge and Peterborough from Sussex, some of what the eye-watering fares pay for, not to mention the load of new trains on the way and the ongoing works at London Bridge.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to the Office of National Statistics, the cost of train travel (in real terms) has increased by an eye-watering 62% since 1980. The cost of bus and coach travel has increased by 59% while the cost of motoring has decreased by 12%.

Future governments will start looking at pampered motorists and think they're ripe for hitting next

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It is a deliberate policy to get as many people using the road network as possible. This is the real ' cash-cow ' not trains, buses, coaches etc. The government wouldn't worry if there was a 50% fall in rail passengers. They will continue to allow price rises above inflation just to see more cars on the roads.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And people think we are being mugged paying £40 a month to watch Championship football!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All part of the governments plan to make passengers pay for the entire railway. No chance of renationalisation either, the cost to actually run the railway would be too significant. Also compared to how services were ran under British Rail, if it was a full return to then - there would be a major reduction of services.

I also highly doubt train companies will stick the extra 2% on either, the PR for them would be atrocious, Southern decided not to last year for that reason.

The new Thameslink franchise starts soon for the record, additional services to London from Brighton as well as direct trains to Cambridge and Peterborough from Sussex, some of what the eye-watering fares pay for, not to mention the load of new trains on the way and the ongoing works at London Bridge.

East Coast Main Line have already proved that whilst in arms length public ownership you can return a healthy profit into the Treasury coffers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to the Office of National Statistics, the cost of train travel (in real terms) has increased by an eye-watering 62% since 1980. The cost of bus and coach travel has increased by 59% while the cost of motoring has decreased by 12%.

Future governments will start looking at pampered motorists and think they're ripe for hitting next

Future governments should definitely start hitting motorists next.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If my lad finds a job nearer Sussex that will be the end for me travelling down from Devon to home games on a Saturday next season as it will be stupid money to lash out for a train

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reading the Easyjet in-flight mag is quite revealing. Gatwick to London stands out at about 6 times the price of all others. Total piss take.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Reading the Easyjet in-flight mag is quite revealing. Gatwick to London stands out at about 6 times the price of all others. Total piss take.

how many of the others involve a 35Km trip on a busy commuter route?
and where are the others that do fares for £1.60?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
how many of the others involve a 35Km trip on a busy commuter route?
and where are the others that do fares for £1.60?

UK trains are a rip-off. You cannot defend them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Yet the car fraternity bleat about being squeezed...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
But the trains have never been busier. They will only listen if people say no (not commuters poor s**s) same goes for not paying your gas/electricity and water bills (down here anyway its ridiculous) its all a rip off and yet all we do is make a nice cup of tea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i'll take that as a no then. i was only wondering if there are comparable issues abroad.

If you're wondering if the railways I use have increased in price by 50% in 10 years, are overcrowded, increasingly complicated to book, increasingly fragmented and late with all manner of bullshit excuses then it's a no.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But the trains have never been busier.

because for most people the train is still cheaper than car. even for commuters with premium fares its cheaper to pay 4k from the Sussex coast to London than petrol for the same (at say 35mpg avg.), before even counting depreciation and running costs. we have a commuting culture that we accept traveling 30, 40, 50 miles to work which i'm not sure is prominent elsewhere. the commuters can pay for this, and so there's little justification for a heavily subsidised non-commuter service, even though in practice there is by virtue of all the discounting available off-peak.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
because for most people the train is still cheaper than car. even for commuters with premium fares its cheaper to pay 4k from the Sussex coast to London than petrol for the same (at say 35mpg avg.), before even counting depreciation and running costs. we have a commuting culture that we accept traveling 30, 40, 50 miles to work which i'm not sure is prominent elsewhere. the commuters can pay for this, and so there's little justification for a heavily subsidised non-commuter service, even though in practice there is by virtue of all the discounting available off-peak.

It's surely more to do with the fact that in a lot of cases it is the only viable option? If you choose to work in London but live in Brighton driving is not really an option. I agree we do have a culture which is happy to accept travelling 50 miles to work. And seemingly happy to accept a shite and expensive service.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Disgraceful of rail companies to do this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here