Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Derailment - Brighton Station

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surprised to find when i got to PP that trains running reasonably. Only delay for 7am was that conductor was at Brighton station and had to wait for a replacement bus! Honestly with the amount of delay repay apps being turned on you'd think they'd cab him to PP, or at least he might check on the website and see no trains in or out of Brighton on London line.....Clueless

it beggers belief that when the trains are fubar they cant move crew around by cab. i perfectly understand that a driver turning up for shift at Brighton cant get a train to location x if the trains arent running. i do not understand why they cant put him in a cab to location x at cost of <£100.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
image.jpg

This made me laugh.

theboybilly

it beggers belief that when the trains are fubar they cant move crew around by cab. i perfectly understand that a driver turning up for shift at Brighton cant get a train to location x if the trains arent running. i do not understand why they cant put him in a cab to location x at cost of <£100.

I often have to be taken by taxi from Victoria to our train depot on Battersea (or vice versa) and the price negotiated is rock-bottom. I asked one cabby (when we were sitting in a very long queue of traffic near Chelsea Bridge) what he made from the job. His answer? :
'about 7 quid'

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Came close to breaking my record for journey home last night. Took me 4 hours 6 mins, 23 minutes short of my record. Bloody glad I'm WFH today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 292

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

saw this, and with the fact its mid April and the sun and heat is clearly going to be lower than end of June/July, i conclude this is a load of bollocks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Like the hi-tech lifting gear they're using to get the train on its tracks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 274

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
WFH today, what a joke! But it does mean that I get to stroll out for a swim this afternoon and get back home on time before I would have gotten back from work usually. OH WELL.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

'Wrong type of heat is blamed for rail delays'

Sounds like the cognoscenti called it pathetically predictably right then...

Doesn't the steel they use on the tracks normally buckle as soon as the temperature reaches about the equivalent of a warmish Summer's day?

From Google; "Steel is just the element iron that has been processed to control the amount of carbon. Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510 degrees C (2750°F). Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F)."

Phew wot a scorcher!

Still, look on the bright side, a couple of degrees warmer and the rail network would have ground to a complete halt due to - oh no, anything but THAT!! - a trackside FIRE! :rolleyes:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
'A Labour government would renationalise the railways without compensation in the course of the next Parliament.'
Huge vote winner.
So they won't do it.

Is that this years manifesto or 1997...?

They did a terrific job in the 13 years they had to renationalise.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
'A Labour government would renationalise the railways without compensation in the course of the next Parliament.'
Huge vote winner.
So they won't do it.

Reckon the Greens a.k.a Caroline Lucas should nationalise the railways between Brighton and Preston Park. One constituency at a time is the way forward :thumbsup:

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
The trains all over have been horrendous this week. I am sat in Burnham stn, where there are only 2 trains an hour to Paddington mind, waiting for a train that has been 10, then 20 minutes late, and has now mysteriously disappeared from the boards.

All adding to my commute which is 2 hours on a smooth day :(

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Doesn't the steel they use on the tracks normally buckle as soon as the temperature reaches about the equivalent of a warmish Summer's day?
Steel used on the track is high grade, if you had a length say 60ft long on the ground and heated it up what temperature do you think it would buckle?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How are the London commuters doing tonight? Things okay coming back down to Gods own County?

markw

Aug 28, 2009
saw this, and with the fact its mid April and the sun and heat is clearly going to be lower than end of June/July, i conclude this is a load of bollocks.
This is one of the worst times of the year for track, high temp in the day and still cold at night.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is one of the worst times of the year for track, high temp in the day and still cold at night.

Behave. Couple of days this week has seen a slightly above seasonal temperature during the day for April and its been maybe a wee bit nippy overnight. Are you seriously suggesting our rail network can't even cope with those mild fluctuations in temperature? ???

markw

Aug 28, 2009
Behave. Couple of days this week has seen a slightly above seasonal temperature during the day for April and its been maybe a wee bit nippy overnight. Are you seriously suggesting our rail network can't even cope with those mild fluctuations in temperature? ???

But it is coping and this is the climate that doesn't help, hot in day, cold at night. , it was the hottest day of the year yesterday with high of 25 degrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here