Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Train Compensation?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
SO got up this morning all packed for holiday with the kids, meant to be travelling to Cornwall

No f***ing trains from Eastbourne, or south coast it seems though I had seen no trains from Brighton today.

Need to get to Gatwick for 10 for connecting train!! Anyone know if I can claim back the taxi for this journey from Southern Fail? I dont believe there is any alternative service being offered, I bought the tickets about 3 weeks ago in person at the Eastbourne ticket office

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
you used to be able to get the station staff to get you a taxi - not sure if they still do it but ask at least.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You can get a refund for your tickets

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The no trains today thingy has been advertised for some time. You'll get a refund, but that'll be it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The no trains today thingy has been advertised for some time. You'll get a refund, but that'll be it.
Never seen it advertised that the were no trains to London, you don't need to go to Brighton to get to London from Eastbourne. And besides the person who sold him the ticket should have know that surely.

Edit: there is a service from Eastbourne to Gatwick showing on the planner

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Yeah I did see no trains from Brighton widely advertised but nothing about no Southern Trains, didn't expect an overtime ban to completely shut everything down!! En route in cab to Gatwick now, 95 quid on top of the 200 already spent on top of train tickets, which was for 3 trains to get to Newquay.. Hopefully will get some of that back, total refund on train tickets would be a nice touch but guess they might try and refund a partial journey or something...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
they haven't been very explicit about all trains cancelled, saying all trains would stop at Three Bridges due to Brighton Pride. easy to make the association that's only the Brighton bound trains.

can understand why no trains to Brighton, cant really see why they couldnt run trains to Eastbourne/Hastings or Shoreham without stops through B&H the otherside, DFLs wouldnt navigate themselves back to Brighton from 10 miles away.

Last edited:

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
SO got up this morning all packed for holiday with the kids, meant to be travelling to Cornwall

No f***ing trains from Eastbourne, or south coast it seems though I had seen no trains from Brighton today.

Need to get to Gatwick for 10 for connecting train!! Anyone know if I can claim back the taxi for this journey from Southern Fail? I dont believe there is any alternative service being offered, I bought the tickets about 3 weeks ago in person at the Eastbourne ticket office
You could write a letter to the train delivery customer service or whatever it’s called, but I suggest you save your ink. I got FA from them years ago when a train from Shoreham to London (Arsenal away) and had to drive/park at Gatwick. You can get a refund on your ticket though by delay repay .

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You should be able to claim a two hour delay for one leg of the journey. If so and successfull, you should then get 50% of your cost back 🤞
Delay Repay seems to have improved. I was delayed by 90 minutes recently (when I say 'delayed' - the train I was intending to catch was cancelled, so instead I had an extra 90 minutes wandering around the stalls in the pleasant market town I was staying in, so no great hardship in comparison to the OP) - and to my great surprise, the refunded 100% of both parts of the whole return ticket.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was it purchased as one ticket - Eastbourne to Newquay , or did you break it up ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hope hmgov will be withholding part of their payment to GTR for non-provision of service to a large chunk of their network today. Not that that is much consolation to the many thousands of people who will have had their weekend travel plans wrecked at great expense and inconvenience to themselves and their friends and families. Shower of ****s

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023

We got stuck at Blackfriars a few weeks ago due to fatality at Purley. All trains cancelled running south and at about 12.30am Thameslink announced that basically you’re on your own get a taxi home. We ended up getting an Uber, costing £165! Did refund form for tickets and asked for Uber cost to be fully refunded supplying all relevant info. Thameslink coughed for the lot thankfully. You should get the cost of your tickets refunded but may struggle with taxi as no trains due to previously announced strikes? Would still try though..explain your situation and send receipts etc. Good luck.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you used to be able to get the station staff to get you a taxi - not sure if they still do it but ask at least.
That would only happen in exceptional circumstances, ie very late cancellation of the last train home or, as happened to us, you're on the last train and it misses a scheduled stop (coming back from Tottenham a few years ago and as the train left Haywards Heath they announced it was now running straight through to Brighton. Staff at Brighton had to hastily arrange a host of taxis to Hassocks and Burgess Hill).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Hope you made your connection, enjoy your time in Cornwall.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I paid £22.50 for an off-peak return from Brighton in May, which was fine going to Victoria, but on the return leg, all trains out of Victoria going to East Croydon were cancelled until further notice due to trespassers on the line at Norwood.
90 mins later, managed to get on a Gatwick Xpress to Gatwick, where I met my husband who drove up to collect me. I got £11.50 repay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here