Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trafalgar day

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Based on many 'authorities' haste to replace Christmas with a 'WinterFestival' there seems every reason to suppose that (the resurrection of) Trafalgar Day would be viewed by some as being as potentially inflammatory as the Cross of St George although in truth it's celebration as a national day has long passed.

Which authority was that?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Winterval: the unpalatable making of a modern myth http://gu.com/p/3387c

In 1997 Mike Chubb was working for Birmingham city council during the rejuvenation of the city centre. As the council's head of events he and his team were charged with creating a marketing strategy to cover:

"41 days and nights of activity that ranged from BBC Children in Need, to the Christmas Lights Switch On, to a Frankfurt Christmas Market, outdoor ice rink, Aston Hall by Candlelight, Diwali, shopping at Christmas, world class theatre and arts plus, of course, New Year's Eve with its massive 100,000 audience."
Chubb realised that with so many events competing for visitors, marketing them as individual occasions would be expensive, time-consuming and ineffective in acquiring sponsorship or funding. What the events needed, he decided, was a "generic banner under which they could all sit". His team settled on "Winterval" – a portmanteau of "winter" and "festival".

Little did he or anyone else on the events team realise that this name was to found one of the most persistent urban myths of modern times, and that 11 years later he would be writing an article explaining – again – what the event was and how it was never about renaming or banning Christmas.

How this happened makes for a fascinating story about the causes of bad journalism, the messages of irresponsible and paranoid church leaders, and badly informed, popularity-seeking politicians looking for a tabloid-friendly soundbite. The bad journalism started with the local newspaper that broke the "story" of Winterval on 8 November 1998 and travelled quickly through the national media. What is worrying is that the original story was so clearly completely untrue and contained clear statements from the council that demonstrated this.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I have a nice bottle of Pusser's Rum at home ..... unfortunately I'm in Germany at the moment. So I'm toasting with a large glass of Red, Chilean mind you. None of the french or Spanish muck today!

Yep toasted with a large pussers this evening.
Been lucky this year. Ive been given it as birthday and xmas presents...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I have a nice bottle of Pusser's Rum at home ..... unfortunately I'm in Germany at the moment. So I'm toasting with a large glass of Red, Chilean mind you. None of the french or Spanish muck today!

As you know that all those Chilean vines were introduced by the Spanish then that must be irony you're employing....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Winter Festivals (or Wintervals) have been brought in by County Councils, one of the hotbeds of OTT PC. Same as attempts have been made to re-name blackboards and accident black spots (I'm not sure what they came u[p with for the last two, but I don't think it stuck).
Name one.

Start with Gloucestershire (and Birmingham - see above). After that, do your own research.

Just looked on the Gloucestershire CC website, plenty of entries with Christmas in them, nothing comes up for Trafalgar Day though. Should I be outraged?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The average issue of the Daily Mail contains around 80,000 words - the equivalent of a paperback book – most of which are written on the day under tremendous pressure of deadlines.

Huge efforts are made to ensure our journalism meets the highest possible standards of accuracy but it is inevitable that mistakes do occur.

This new column provides an opportunity to correct those errors quickly and prominently.

********************************************************************************************

We stated in an article on 26 September that Christmas has been renamed in various places Winterval.

Winterval was the collective name for a season of public events, both religious and secular, which took place in Birmingham in 1997 and 1998.

We are happy to make clear that Winterval did not rename or replace Christmas.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just looked on the Gloucestershire CC website, plenty of entries with Christmas in them, nothing comes up for Trafalgar Day though. Should I be outraged?

Found the website from 10 / 12 years ago have you? Never mind, I feel sure you'll manage to avoid seeing something that you don't want to see. Are you a politician?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't understand why people are so precious about the title of a festival that has it's origins in paganism and celebrates the birth of someone who, historians believe, was born in spring, and whom they don't believe in anyway.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Found the website from 10 / 12 years ago have you? Never mind, I feel sure you'll manage to avoid seeing something that you don't want to see. Are you a politician?

But if you want to reinforce your argument why not provide a number of links and back up your side of the story? Telling someone to go find it themselves without knowing the search reference you used kind of undermines what you say.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Dutch as well?

Dutch? Don't think they had a dog in this fight.There were a couple of converted East Indiamen, one on each side. ( Slightly Dutch.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But if you want to reinforce your argument why not provide a number of links and back up your side of the story? Telling someone to go find it themselves without knowing the search reference you used kind of undermines what you say.
Can't find a reference to Winter Festivals (probably taken off by now; shame you don't accept eye-witness accounts from people who were there as valid evidence, but never mind). Have this one to be going on with.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't find a reference to Winter Festivals (probably taken off by now; shame you don't accept eye-witness accounts from people who were there as valid evidence, but never mind). Have this one to be going on with.

As usual you have been caught out talking ill informed gibberish. You've been proved wrong sausage, deal with it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I think where you're left looking a bit high and dry is where you suggested "councils" (plural) were engaging in such politically correct activities. I'm quite happy to accept the one council you happened to be working for did such a thing one year, but essentially you're pushing the tabloid-style myth that local authorities are staging seasonal, wintery, no-mention-of-Christmas festivals in their droves.

Which simply isn't true. As has already been proved, the classic one about Birmingham's "Winterval" programme has been shown to be a complete lie, and that's it. Suggesting that because one council in Gloucestershire did it, one year, means everyone's gone PC (god, I hate that expression) is like saying Serbia vs Albania is an accurate reflection of crowd behaviour across international football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here