Tour of Britain 2014 - down this neck of the woods at last!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Better hope we've got an away game that day then or that's another non Saturday afternoon fixture.
With this, Uni open day and international fixtures, September Saturday's will be very quiet around Falmer.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looking forward to this & hopefully we'll find a nice spot to set up camp & watch them go by on the C7 (pretty sure that's the way they'll be heading)
Providing its a nice sunny day there'll be some lovely places along the route to capture some quality photos....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just found out today, in order to keep the finish fast and true, the Pier roundabout will be removed for the event.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
The ToB passed the bottom of my road last year. It was stunning. The road was closed for about 20 mins so inconvenienced virtually nobody and was an honour to see the World's best.

My tip: find an uphill section where you can stand on the outside of a bend. That way you can see the riders working a bit harder, maybe a fraction slower and for as long as possible. Seeing the bikes is great, but the atmosphere is probably made by the entourage of vehicles going past.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The ToB passed the bottom of my road last year. It was stunning. The road was closed for about 20 mins so inconvenienced virtually nobody and was an honour to see the World's best.

My tip: find an uphill section where you can stand on the outside of a bend. That way you can see the riders working a bit harder, maybe a fraction slower and for as long as possible. Seeing the bikes is great, but the atmosphere is probably made by the entourage of vehicles going past.

Have they started having a caravan like they do in the tour de France? They didn't when I last saw it a few years back?

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
Looking forward to this & hopefully we'll find a nice spot to set up camp & watch them go by on the C7 (pretty sure that's the way they'll be heading)
Providing its a nice sunny day there'll be some lovely places along the route to capture some quality photos....

i hope they hurry up and sort out the c7 or there might be a few crashes whilst avoiding the potholes.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I really fancied watching this, but it clashes with the Goodwood Revival weekend. Sussex will be bulging with visitors.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Have they started having a caravan like they do in the tour de France? They didn't when I last saw it a few years back?
No, nothing like that.

Although if you're enthused by the prospect of the ToB, popping up to London on the Sunday, for the final stage should be a must.
You'll meet all the riders, they will stop, sign, and be photographed.
There won't be any oversized ear-phones, or ridiculous security men.

Good luck finding 'mid Sept '13' in our Geeks thread, but if you did it's littered with excellent images of the event.

There'll be 10's of thousands people there cheering on the event.

The deafening noise of the roar as it 'waves' down the finishing straight (outside Downing Street) is amazing.
You can almost see the noise, 700 metres away as the riders straighten up, then it just builds into a stunning crescendo as Cav crosses the line. I've never heard anything like it, at any football match, I've ever been too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Quality; i'm just about to buy a road bike on the bike to work scheme! A grands worth of bike for 43%!! insane not to. However; i've not ridden a bike for 25yrs!!

You will make up for lost time.

Are they going up that hill from the seafront in Eastbourne to Beachy Head? Are they going up High and Over? These have got to be the places to watch - steep climbs, and smaller crowds than the Beacon.

I will also go to London on the Sunday. This has made up my mind - I'm not going to bother going to Yorkshire for the TdF.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quality; i'm just about to buy a road bike on the bike to work scheme! A grands worth of bike for 43%!! insane not to. However; i've not ridden a bike for 25yrs!!

Excellent news.
Before you know it you'll be posting on 'Geeks'.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I really fancied watching this, but it clashes with the Goodwood Revival weekend. Sussex will be bulging with visitors.

Sounds far more interesting, more speed, lasts longer, girls will be less sweaty and better dressed!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Quality; i'm just about to buy a road bike on the bike to work scheme! A grands worth of bike for 43%!! insane not to. HoweverD; i've not ridden a bike for 25yrs!!

Definitely worth it, been on mine for a year now, I enjoy it, am much healthier, and weekend rides are a pleasure. REMF ride in September here I come!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports