Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
At least seven big policies have been changed that have put a chasm between the EU and the UK on environmental regulation. These include:

• EU-derived air pollution laws that will be removed under the retained EU law bill.
  • Dozens of chemicals banned in the EU are still available for use in the UK.
  • Thirty-six pesticides banned in the EU have not been outlawed in the UK.
  • The UK is falling behind on reducing carbon emissions as the EU implements carbon pricing.
  • The EU is compensating those who are struggling to afford the costs of the green transition, while the UK is not.
  • The EU is implementing stricter regulations on battery recycling, while the UK is not.
  • Deforestation is being removed from the EU supply chain, while the UK’s proposed scheme is more lax and does not come in until a year later.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nothing to see here.
Just our Prime minister laughing in the face of the women who told him, he could improve the NHS.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson has backed Donald Trump ahead of November’s US presidential election, saying his return to the White House could be “just what the world needs”.

In his weekly Daily Mail column, the former prime minister argued that if Trump backs Ukraine in its war against Russia, his renewed leadership “can be a big win for the world”.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Boris Johnson has backed Donald Trump ahead of November’s US presidential election, saying his return to the White House could be “just what the world needs”.

In his weekly Daily Mail column, the former prime minister argued that if Trump backs Ukraine in its war against Russia, his renewed leadership “can be a big win for the world”.
Whereas Zelenskyy is frightened of Trump’s rhetoric.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Has anyone just seen some Johnson wannabe from some economic w@nk tank defending the proposed lifting of the earnings cap on child benefit and paying for it by reducing the number of people claiming disability benefits?!

He was asked who this move might benefit and happily confirmed that it would be the highest earners.

He was also happy to say openly that there are too many people claiming disability benefits.

At least when Kenny Everett ‘hilariously’ threw his support behind Thatcher he only wanted to kick Michael Foots walking sticks away!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Has anyone just seen some Johnson wannabe from some economic w@nk tank defending the proposed lifting of the earnings cap on child benefit and paying for it by reducing the number of people claiming disability benefits?!

He was asked who this move might benefit and happily confirmed that it would be the highest earners.

He was also happy to say openly that there are too many people claiming disability benefits.

At least when Kenny Everett ‘hilariously’ threw his support behind Thatcher he only wanted to kick Michael Foots walking sticks away!
The Child Benefit Tax is probably the most "unfair" Tax there is. Two families on the same household income of £60000 and if they both have three children, one family gets a £6 grand Tax bill, and the other pays no additional tax just because one family has one high earner and the other one has two middle income earners. The person on £60k is already paying more tax overall than the two on £30k in the other house together before the Child Benefit Tax.

Strangely, it was actually introduced by the Tories (Osborne) in the first place

It should be abolished, but the solution isn't to make the poor pay for it.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ministers could be at risk of fuelling a fresh house-price bubble, according to industry experts who have warned about a potential “99% mortgages” scheme for first-time buyers that would appeal to young voters before the next election.

The scheme, which is reportedly being considered by the prime minister, Rishi Sunak, and the chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, before the spring budget on 6 March, would only require borrowers to put down a 1% deposit towards their first home.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Moggy referred this as an act of self harm, they've delayed it 5 times. But there's no escape the Tory Brexit needs to be properly implemented.

More food inflation, its the will of the people

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Every trick in the book

"The Conservative party has hired an overseas voter registration coordinator to mobilise thousands of supporters who live abroad to vote in target seats the party needs to win at the next general election to stay in office.

The job description from party headquarters, seen by the Guardian but no longer online, said the role would focus on boosting the turnout of Tory expat voters in crucial electoral contests.

It suggests the operation would coordinate UK-based proxy voters to increase Tory support in the so-called 80:20 contests. These are 80 seats, including many of those in the red wall, that the party needs to retain and 20 it wants to win."

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It’s the will of the people…

Don't think so small

(Bonus point for anything bar JCB)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Every trick in the book

"The Conservative party has hired an overseas voter registration coordinator to mobilise thousands of supporters who live abroad to vote in target seats the party needs to win at the next general election to stay in office.

The job description from party headquarters, seen by the Guardian but no longer online, said the role would focus on boosting the turnout of Tory expat voters in crucial electoral contests.

It suggests the operation would coordinate UK-based proxy voters to increase Tory support in the so-called 80:20 contests. These are 80 seats, including many of those in the red wall, that the party needs to retain and 20 it wants to win."
I think that's mainly wishful thinking/straw clutching on the part of the Tories, and the article makes it out to be worse than it actually is. I'm one of the 2.2 million (or 3 million, depending on your source) UK citizens who've lived long-term overseas but got our right to vote in the UK back again last week. I know quite a few other people in the same boat and not one of them would dream of ever voting Tory again after the last 14 years.

I know my experience is just a tiny straw poll that may not be representative of the actual situation, but a far more important element is that they cannot, under the rules, parachute proxy voters into their target areas. I re-registered last week and my application had to go to the constituency of Hove - because that was where I was last registered before I left the UK. I was very specifically NOT allowed to cherry pick a marginal seat where my vote might make a difference. If you use a proxy (or postal) vote it has to be used in the constituency where you are registered

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Child Benefit Tax is probably the most "unfair" Tax there is. Two families on the same household income of £60000 and if they both have three children, one family gets a £6 grand Tax bill, and the other pays no additional tax just because one family has one high earner and the other one has two middle income earners. The person on £60k is already paying more tax overall than the two on £30k in the other house together before the Child Benefit Tax.

Strangely, it was actually introduced by the Tories (Osborne) in the first place

It should be abolished, but the solution isn't to make the poor pay for it.
How is losing benefits a "tax bill" ? I can agree that the calculation is unfair but it certainly isn't a tax bill. The easiest way to deal with it would be to scrap Child Benefit and provide free nappies ( and associated things like wipes ) and free school uniforms along with free school meals for all. Then parents who earn a combined £60k income couldn't use the child benefit to go on holiday etc. Really - why does a household with a £60k income need child benefit ?

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Every trick in the book

I've been given a vote back, but sure as hell won't be voting for that lot.

However, I'm not sure Peter Kyle's seat will be on their hit-list.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
How is losing benefits a "tax bill" ? I can agree that the calculation is unfair but it certainly isn't a tax bill. The easiest way to deal with it would be to scrap Child Benefit and provide free nappies ( and associated things like wipes ) and free school uniforms along with free school meals for all. Then parents who earn a combined £60k income couldn't use the child benefit to go on holiday etc. Really - why does a household with a £60k income need child benefit ?
Because if you do not claim the benefit, any person who stays at home loses out on their state NI contributions and will potentially end up with a reduced pension.
Therefore, families with higher earners are advised to take the benefit and then repay the tax.
This is the problem with an overally complex tax and benefits system.
My point remains that it is possibly the unfairest part of the whole tax and benefits system and needs to be reformed.
I would be happy with your suggestion to replace the whole thing completely, although I suspect that would raise a whole set of different issues.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That would be a real vote loser for any party suggesting such a move and, no doubt, exceedingly bureaucratic to administer.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
It is if you get to the end of the tax year and discover that the bonus you just received sends you into the taper zone unexpectedly (which starts at £50k, btw - £60k is the point at which all child benefit is lost). In that circumstance, the way the overpaid Child Benefit gets clawed back is via a tax bill. I know because I had it happen to me a few years back. They are not particularly helpful about it, either.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Therefore, families with higher earners are advised to take the benefit and then repay the tax.
My understanding is you can claim it, and then ask for it not to be paid and thus avoid having to pay back at year end (that's what we've done, on advice from staff in the relevant departments).

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
My understanding is you can claim it, and then ask for it not to be paid and thus avoid having to pay back at year end (that's what we've done, on advice from staff in the relevant departments).
The tax advise I read said it would be better to stick the payments in an ISA, then pay back a year later when the tax return is due. Then at least you can earn a small amount from it. Not that I am organised enough to do that!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The tax advise I read said it would be better to stick the payments in an ISA, then pay back a year later when the tax return is due. Then at least you can earn a small amount from it. Not that I am organised enough to do that!
Well yes. Back when we stopped the payments interest rates weren't enough to pay for the effort. Maybe today they might be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here