Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I rest my case.
Tories have been awful agreed but Labour will never be called a bunch of ****s on NSC. No matter what.
Selective memory loss. The Gulf war from 2003-11 was widely criticised on Nsc, and Labour called all manner of names.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What's interesting is that in becoming so fervently right wing that the Tory party has lost the historically Tory voting moderates.

They won votes from hard-right groups like UKIP, Reform and BF because they sold themselves as the party of nationalist, hardline, anti-immigration Brexiteers, however, what's happened is that it's drawn those people out of their dank, miserable cave-dwellings and made them braver and more proud of their (in some case terrifying) views. They're now at a point where they're confident enough to see the Tories as not-far-enough-right, so have returned to their basest roots, voting for BF and the like.

At the same time, in their focus on becoming more or a far(ish) right party, they've lost the voters that were fiscally conservative, or centre-right conservative who may well see themselves as politically homeless, hence the massive absence of voters in these by-elections.

The Tory party now has a decision to make: Keep ploughing this ever-further right agenda (without going full fascist, yet) or returning to a more Cameron-esque position. The problem is, all those more sane MPs have been replaced by swivel-eyes goons like 50p Lee, Suella Deville and Kemi Bad-enoch-Powell.

Good luck solving that problem, Rish
When you get places like Chipping Norton voting Labour you need know the Tories have lost their way.

They seem to be making the calculation that they can become the UK version of the US Republicans fuelled by GB Beebies and social media.

Most people in the UK don't want extreme politics

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seen the potential response to the kicking they received in the by-elections?

Tax cuts for top earners. Classic.
Blimey I thought you were joking

A source told the newspaper the Tories are planning to either cut stamp duty or abolish inheritance tax.

A senior Tory told the Times that reducing stamp duty would be “aspirational”

FFS

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will be interesting looking at NSC in 2025. Will the Labour government get the bile as things haven't got much better?
Based on the usual content nope.
Let’s see.

All they’ll have to do is end peace in Northern Ireland, party through a major pandemic against their own rules, come up with a hair brained and illegal schene to move migrants to Africa, double the cost of everything, go through three leaders unelected by the population and have half the country on strike.

Should be a doddle.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I rest my case.
Tories have been awful agreed but Labour will never be called a bunch of ****s on NSC. No matter what.

I’m not so sure. All it takes is a highly emotive issue with the government taking a different decision to the one that seems “obviously” the correct one.

Although it’s more likely that the minister in question will be called a **** rather than the party as a whole.

I do have some sympathy for @Baldseagull though, because it does appear (to paraphrase) that in the current government’s case, it’s ****s all the way down.

There’s just a vacuum where any form of leadership, integrity or desire to act in the nation’s long term interests should be. You can’t judge this lot by the standard of past Conservative governments. This lot simply want to get richer without working. They destroy public services and salt the earth behind them.

I will moderate my language and call them chancers, greedy, detached from reality, chasing a (semi-realised) wet dream of a largely unregulated Wild West where regulatory bodies are underfunded and toothless and anything goes, regardless of the long term consequences.

The future that they envisage is of a US style, limitless inequality with an underclass of working people with few rights or access to public services. It is a grim bleak future, effectively turning capitalism into a form of semi-slavery where you have a choice of employer/slavemaster but no hope at all (if in the lower 33% of earners) of saving enough capital to break out of that cycle. A future of living hand to mouth across your entire working life. We can and must do better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m not so sure. All it takes is a highly emotive issue with the government taking a different decision to the one that seems “obviously” the correct one.

Although it’s more likely that the minister in question will be called a **** rather than the party as a whole.

I do have some sympathy for @Baldseagull though, because it does appear (to paraphrase) that in the current government’s case, it’s ****s all the way down.

There’s just a vacuum where any form of leadership, integrity or desire to act in the nation’s long term interests should be. You can’t judge this lot by the standard of past Conservative governments. This lot simply want to get richer without working. They destroy public services and salt the earth behind them.

I will moderate my language and call them chancers, greedy, detached from reality, chasing a (semi-realised) wet dream of a largely unregulated Wild West where regulatory bodies are underfunded and toothless and anything goes, regardless of the long term consequences.

The future that they envisage is of a US style, limitless inequality with a underclass of working people with few rights or access to public services. It is a grim bleak future, effectively turning capitalism into a form of semi-slavery where you have a choice of employer/slavemaster but no hope at all (if in the lower 33% of earners) of saving enough capital to break out of that cycle. A future of living hand to mouth across your entire working life. We can and must do better.
Especially if their Charter Cities/Freeports come into being. It’s already being attempted in Middlesbrough. Horrific and unthinkable. Vast tracts of land ‘owned’.
Eg: the Solent Freeport sounds like a good enterprise for Southampton until you realise it includes the New Forest.

JamieR

Jan 25, 2020
Let’s see.

All they’ll have to do is end peace in Northern Ireland, party through a major pandemic against their own rules, come up with a hair brained and illegal schene to move migrants to Africa, double the cost of everything, go through three leaders unelected by the population and have half the country on strike.

Should be a doddle.
You forgot to mention doubling of the national debt (now £2.4 trillion) while in office and awarding fat contracts to their crony mates without competition.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I rest my case.
Labour won't get a free pass forever, but I can't see the country getting as fed up and disgusted with them by 2025, I doubt they will make huge changes to Tory policy in the first year, except for those policies Tories are trying to put in place now, purely to give them ammunition in opposition, like cutting taxes when we/the treasury cannot afford to. This is so they can state Labour increased taxes at the election after next, this is the problem with the current Tory Government, they are sure they are going to lose the next election, and are spending the time they have left trying to leave Labour a difficult hand to play, to give themselves a better chance at the election after next, and line their own pockets and those of their pals (donors/backers) as much as possible in the time they have left.
Absolute ****s, and they have made it a crime to even protest about them loudly.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Will be interesting looking at NSC in 2025. Will the Labour government get the bile as things haven't got much better?
I know your expectations of Labour are low but crikey they’ll have to go some to be as unpopular within a few months as the current one has managed in 13 years.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Short memory.

All Governments get grief, but nobody thinks about an alternative until the opposition have sorted themselves out.

It's quite clear what will happen now - it's a repeat of the late 1990s / 2000s.

Tories will get smashed at the next election and in the la la land they currently are convince themselves it was because they weren't "conservative" enough and lurch even further to the right.

After then losing the next election (badly) they will come to their senses and return to their normal historical position of a centre right party and not the scaremongering neo liberal pound shop tea party they have become.

At which point, they may be in state to win an election.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Short memory.

All Governments get grief, but nobody thinks about an alternative until the opposition have sorted themselves out.

It's quite clear what will happen now - it's a repeat of the late 1990s / 2000s.

Tories will get smashed at the next election and in the la la land they currently are convince themselves it was because they weren't "conservative" enough and lurch even further to the right.

After then losing the next election (badly) they will come to their senses and return to their normal historical position of a centre right party and not the scaremongering neo liberal pound shop tea party they have become.

At which point, they may be in state to win an election.

That is more or less the outcome I’m expecting too, though I do wonder if the Conservative Party has gone so far this time that the Lib Dem’s become the de facto opposition, they are centre-right, comparatively sane and I’d say offer a more compelling alternative to Labour than the Conservatives do.

Not much we can do about any of it until election time, but the Conservatives have certainly given enough of us a reason to never again vote for them in our lifetimes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I rest my case.
I have called Corbyn that, and worse.

But....he is now history.

Hopefully the present bunch of ****s running the show will be, soon.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is more or less the outcome I’m expecting too, though I do wonder if the Conservative Party has gone so far this time that the Lib Dem’s become the de facto opposition, they are centre-right, comparatively sane and I’d say offer a more compelling alternative to Labour than the Conservatives do.

Not much we can do about any of it until election time, but the Conservatives have certainly given enough of us a reason to never again vote for them in our lifetimes.
Yes, the old school tories, that stood for fair play and decency, seem to have completely been replaced by shifty chancers, public school gadflies, and gaslighting neo-liberals. Their primary objective is to be in control, and their policies are largely designed with only that in mind. I appreciate that you can't achieve anything unless you win power, but if you win power on the back of nothing more than a load of made-up shite, and allow the neo-liberals to insert some of their madcap aspirations, then you have nothing real to pursue as policy- no principles, no vision, and no f***ing hope of getting anything done when in power. We have spent the last 13 years watching the UK go slowly down the plug hole, while the ****s 'in charge' watch the water going round and round, scum floating to the top, while sipping gin and tonics and counting their money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have called Corbyn that, and worse.

But....he is now history.

Hopefully the present bunch of ****s running the show will be, soon.
I don’t understand people selecting a political party to vote for like a football team. Supporting them no matter how bad they get!
I’ve voted Conservative, Liberal (LibDem) and Labour throughout my life, depending on candidate and policies.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, the old school tories, that stood for fair play and decency, seem to have completely been replaced by shifty chancers, public school gadflies, and gaslighting neo-liberals. Their primary objective is to be in control, and their policies are largely designed with only that in mind. I appreciate that you can't achieve anything unless you win power, but if you win power on the back of nothing more than a load of made-up shite, and allow the neo-liberals to insert some of their madcap aspirations, then you have nothing real to pursue as policy- no principles, no vision, and no f***ing hope of getting anything done when in power. We have spent the last 13 years watching the UK go slowly down the plug hole, while the ****s 'in charge' watch the water going round and round, scum floating to the top, while sipping gin and tonics and counting their money.
The richest 1% in the UK own more wealth than 70% of the rest of the population put together, (Oxfam)and thanks to nondom newspaper owners, who pay no tax, in this country, the propaganda continue.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don’t understand people selecting a political party to vote for like a football team. Supporting them no matter how bad they get!
I’ve voted Conservative, Liberal (LibDem) and Labour throughout my life, depending on candidate and policies.
I agree.

But Liberal (LibDem), Labour, Green and Independent for me. I can't see how I could ever bring myself to vote Conservative - because I cannot think of a single policy of theirs that I have ever thought 'I like that - that's worth my vote'. I did almost once think about it in a District Council election - as the candidate himself was a really nice chap. I did actually ask him whether he was 'really' a Tory given his views. If it had been a foregone conclusion district-wide I might have done - but, as it was a very close election overall - I couldn't bring myself to do so because it may just have meant the difference in having them in control or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here