[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Laura Kuenssberg
@bbclaurak
Tories seem pretty sure that they have lost iconic Wandsworth council in SW London, and Barnet in North London, and even Westminster council looking at risk

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm up all night on shift and very much hoping I get to see a raft of embarrassing Tory defeats in rolling live time. TORY SCUM OUT.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was keen to get to my local polling station early and get my vote in. There's a strong working class Tory / Gammony Thickett contingent where I live. I didn't see one Labour or Green bod about, just a set of teeth and glasses with a blue bow hovering around in some knitwear by the entrance looking like she was about to be hanged.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Partygate doesn’t come up as much as you’d think and for those who have brought it up they’ve said things like ‘You’re all as bad as each other’ or ‘that’s politics’.

Quoted from a Labour figure who went door to door in Sunderland

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ashen-faced Conservative activist at the count In Portsmouth reported to have called it “a bloodbath” according to 5Live.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Analogous to "Labour Cooperative", I suppose.

(Not directly, I know, but in the sense that it feeds in to the main party)
No not at all.

They have campaigned to distinguish themselves from the main party because they are so embarrassed. I've spoken to them.

To reiterate they have "changed" the name of the party locally. They registration could only have been organised centrally and done so to assist the local elections.

That's the state of the current administration.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Conservative “implosion” being reported in Rutland tonight- even though there were no local elections there. The Tory leader of the council plus other fellow councillors have resigned in protest at the government and intend to sit as independents.

To lose councillors via the ballot box is unfortunate; to lose them when there hasn’t even been an election is downright careless

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
So far, across the six wards declared in Sunderland, there is a 6% swing from Conservative to Labour. If Sunderland is any guide, we will be looking at a series of Conservative losses overnight.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Conservative “implosion” being reported in Rutland tonight- even though there were no local elections there. The Tory leader of the council plus other fellow councillors have resigned in protest at the government and intend to sit as independents.

To lose councillors via the ballot box is unfortunate; to lose them when there hasn’t even been an election is downright careless
The next elections for Rutland County Council won't take place until May 2023. But the Conservatives there have suffered a blow tonight with the resignation of council leader Oliver Hemsley and several other Tory councillors.

In a statement, Mr Hemsley says he intends to carry on leading a minority administration as an independent. He says the council has been ignored by the government on funding.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
South Tyneside - Labour hold.

Redditch - Con hold

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So far, across the six wards declared in Sunderland, there is a 6% swing from Conservative to Labour. If Sunderland is any guide, we will be looking at a series of Conservative losses overnight.

The BBC have just shown a graphic where the share of the vote for Labour in Sunderland has gone down by 1% from 2018 (the last time this council had an election), Conservatives up 0.4%, Lib Dems up 2%. :shrug:

Edit. Now labour down 3%, Con up .3%, LD up 4%

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
In Sunderland, there were real fears for Labour that they could lose overall control of the local council for the first time since its foundation in 1974 - a result that would have been a hammer blow for Keir Starmer.

But in the end, the party retained control comfortably, with the only seats changing hands so far going to the Lib Dems - one from the Conservatives, one from Labour.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone expecting a huge swing from Tories to Labour is misguided.

Unfortunately.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
3 words we've wanted to here for so long...

WANDSWORTH LABOUR GAIN

:clap:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A Scottish Conservative source said the situation north of the border “is not looking good” and pointed the finger of blame at the prime minister, Boris Johnson.

They predicted “heavy losses” for the Tories in Scotland and insisted “it’s all down to partygate and Boris”. They added that those who would normally back them were “understandably, and rightly, angry” and had opted to stay home rather than vote.

They had their chance to stand alone and be different . Douglas Ross made the jump to distance Scottish Conservatives from Westminster Conservatives by declaring his no confidence in Johnson and his preference to quit....

sadly he bottled it, withdrew his comments and now is seen in the same light as the other Westminster liars and incompetents.

Wrong choice.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I took my 90 year old Mum to vote today.
She can barely walk now, chronic arthritis and sciatica.
I said to her she should give it a miss this time as today her pain had been particularly bad, She insisted on going, says she would have crawled if it meant voting against”Johnson and his gang of thieves”.

Her words, not mine.
I also told her, this might be the last time she can vote, as she has no photo ID.

She then went into a rant about how it’s becoming more like Nazi Germany every day.

I felt quite proud of her.
Bless !

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Labour takes Westminster from Tories for first time in more than 50 years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports