Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory government yet again panders to bonkers, right wing, reactionary loons.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The right to buy is indeed to daft policy unless the money received from the sale of a council house is used to build new ones.

I'm intrigued in your issue about people not knowing if they will have their current house from one year to the next given your stated aim of being a B2L landlord - you'll be using Shorthold Tenancy Agreements which will mean you gave give fairly short notice on your tenants to get out. The difference between mi idea for council housing and your rentals being that the council will assess needs while you can give any old excuse you like !
I know what you're saying about btl, but I am differentiating between council and btl tenants .

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds sensible, but you have to consider a few social aspects.

Proximity to family members for childcare, elderly care etc is often very important to people. Knowing they can be shunted across town, or to another town is not really going to help them here. How do you instil a sense of pride in houses and or neighbourhoods ? There are still huge numbers of council houses that are beautifully cared for, because the tenants take pride in their own homes. Short term tenancy areements risk breaking this bond.
Agree believe it or not.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm confused. You're annoyed that they're cutting housing benefits by paying 35-45% MORE?
Yes I can see you are. Very simple. The government in a bid to pander to the cries of "All people on benefits are robbing bastards" have ended up costing the tax payer more, or they will if they ever stick to decision.

- - - Updated - - -

Any links to this policy ? Just I can't find it on the BBC.

I'll have a look, was being discussed on R4 this am. A fairly well flagged policy though, been discussed in depth over last few months.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Is the correct answer, but lets not let the truth get in the way of nibble's frenzied , ill thought out(as usual) anto tory rant.

I'll explain it to you one more time. The point is, people will be forced to move. there aren't enough small social flats to cover the amount of people that will be moving. So they will have to seek private landlords and the government will then pay them 35-40 % more benefit than they would on a 2 or 3 bed house on the social list. See? You just have to apply a bit of common sense to it. Plus, have you seen the way they assess disability allownace? No way will people get fairly assessed.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Also, old chap, my rental properties are struggling a bit at the moment...we have to get some new tenants from somewhere...let's winkle some more of the plebs out of their houses!,we can sell the council houses too old bean.
Well, precisely. The Tories policies grow ever more transparent by day.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You turf people out of their homes or force them to pay an extra 35 quid a week and the economy will suffer. How will people find that extra 35 quid? Dealing, prostitution, crime in general and cash in hand jobs. All of which rob the economy of taxes. The crime rate rising is just dandy for some though, say perhaps those involved in the construction and profit making of the Private Indistrial Prison System, one o fthe UK's fastest growing industry's. If you build it they will come, because the government will turn as many poor people into criminals as we possibly can to justify building this shit. It doesn't take a genius to look furether down the road.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You turf people out of their homes or force them to pay an extra 35 quid a week and the economy will suffer. How will people find that extra 35 quid? Dealing, prostitution, crime in general and cash in hand jobs. All of which rob the economy of taxes. The crime rate rising is just dandy for some though, say perhaps those involved in the construction and profit making of the Private Indistrial Prison System, one o fthe UK's fastest growing industry's. If you build it they will come, because the government will turn as many poor people into criminals as we possibly can to justify building this shit. It doesn't take a genius to look furether down the road.
More drugs and brasses , whats not to like ? :lolol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I certainly dont think that people earning 30/40 k should be excluded from council housing

even when there are those on 20/25k struggling in the private sector? i didnt say exclude, but there alot of people sat in social housing who could easily afford private, in place of those its intended for.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
even when there are those on 20/25k struggling in the private sector? i didnt say exclude, but there alot of people sat in social housing who could easily afford private, in place of those its intended for.
I know what you're saying , I can definitely see your point, it just goes against the grain with me to boot someone out of a house ,maybe there should be incentives for them to downsize, maybe the answer is to embark on a massive social housing building programme, would have the added advantage of boosting the economy.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know what you're saying , I can definitely see your point, it just goes against the grain with me to boot someone out of a house ,maybe there should be incentives for them to downsize, maybe the answer is to embark on a massive social housing building programme, would have the added advantage of boosting the economy.

Or to possibly give tax breaks or temporary assistance to those that could afford to move from council to private accommodation. Maybe a government loaned mortgage with a preferential interest rate for the first 5 years ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Or to possibly give tax breaks or temporary assistance to those that could afford to move from council to private accommodation. Maybe a government loaned mortgage with a preferential interest rate for the first 5 years ?
Something like that, we need more imaginative solutions and ideas than the same hackneyed crap that we've had from politicians of all flavours for the last 50 odd years.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The key word in the policy is "assessed". It's not a blanket policy where if you are single or a couple you get a 1 bed flat etc If the council assses you need extra space for carers or your children then you won't have your benefit docked. This is designed to cover people inhabiting large homes where their kids have moved out for good but are still getting a big property on peanut rents.

Agreed.
For example,my wife's elderly widowed aunt still lives in the council house that she and her late husband brought up their family in.She is now the only occupant in a large 3 bedroom house.She no longer requires this kind of house which would be put to better use by the many families on the social housing waiting list.
The problem is that she has lived in this particular part of town for over 50 years and understandably,at her age ,does not want to move away from her friends and neighbours.Once a smaller one bedroom flat becomes available near by,she will be quite willing to move.The Tory council have put no pressure on her at all and understand the situation.

P.S.Nibble must spend an inordinate amount of his time trawling through articles,just to get the thrill of being able to post a supposed anti Tory story.
Wouldn't mind so much ,but he isn't what you'd call a balanced commentator.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agreed.
For example,my wife's elderly widowed aunt still lives in the council house that she and her late husband brought up their family in.She is now the only occupant in a large 3 bedroom house.She no longer requires this kind of house which would be put to better use by the many families on the social housing waiting list.
The problem is that she has lived in this particular part of town for over 50 years and understandably,at her age ,does not want to move away from her friends and neighbours.Once a smaller one bedroom flat becomes available near by,she will be quite willing to move.The Tory council have put no pressure on her at all and understand the situation.

P.S.Nibble must spend an inordinate amount of his time trawling through articles,just to get the thrill of being able to post a supposed anti Tory story.
Wouldn't mind so much ,but he isn't what you'd call a balanced commentator.

Articles? You mean like, a newspaper? Judging by some of your views I would imagine you class the MAil or The Sun as a paper. Anyway, this was a discussion I heard on the radio in the van on the way home this morning and it's actually been a pretty big story for about a year now, well it has to people who happen to pay attention to the news.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Articles? You mean like, a newspaper? Judging by some of your views I would imagine you class the MAil or The Sun as a paper. Anyway, this was a discussion I heard on the radio in the van on the way home this morning and it's actually been a pretty big story for about a year now, well it has to people who happen to pay attention to the news.

Anyone would think a successful actor like yourself wouldn't be coming home in a VAN............... an early morning cleaning job ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anyone would think a successful actor like yourself wouldn't be coming home in a VAN............... an early morning cleaning job ?

Very good. I was getting a lift home with a DoP after doing an 11 hour night shoot on Thor 2. Anything else you'd like to know smartarse?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Oh dear Nibble;hit a nerve did I?
Actually,I heard this story on the telly the other morning and thought that it was at the same time a good and a bad idea.Good in theory but fraught with difficulties and possible unfairness(Please refer to my post re my wife's aunt.)
For your information,the only time I have even glanced at a copy of either the Sun,the Mail or the Guardian is if I have been in a railway carriage without reading matter and have found an abandoned copy nearby.
Oh,by the way,I do pay attention to the news.The difference between me and you is that you cannot help yourself frothing at the mouth when the word Tory is mentioned.
Rant on Nibble,by all means,but try and take a more measured stance in future.
For instance,the headline to this thread gives a clue to your foam flecked attitude.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh dear Nibble;hit a nerve did I?
Actually,I heard this story on the telly the other morning and thought that it was at the same time a good and a bad idea.Good in theory but fraught with difficulties and possible unfairness(Please refer to my post re my wife's aunt.)
For your information,the only time I have even glanced at a copy of either the Sun,the Mail or the Guardian is if I have been in a railway carriage without reading matter and have found an abandoned copy nearby.
Oh,by the way,I do pay attention to the news.The difference between me and you is that you cannot help yourself frothing at the mouth when the word Tory is mentioned.
Rant on Nibble,by all means,but try and take a more measured stance in future.
For instance,the headline to this thread gives a clue to your foam flecked attitude.

The Headline to this thread is deliberately alarmist, mirroring the type of reactionary headline our beloved Mail or Redtops like to use. But I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The Headline to this thread is deliberately alarmist, mirroring the type of reactionary headline our beloved Mail or Redtops like to use. But I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that.

Sounds more like a headline from 'The Nibble Times' to me.
What an angry fellow you appear to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here