Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toronto - Worth the move?

modo

Mar 15, 2004
Streatham
Firstly hello all - it's been a long time since i last posted as i don't usually have a lot of albion related information to contribute and there are more than enough people happy to post randomness:bla:... But thank you for keeping me entertained while I lurk!

However, I do now have a favour to ask... I know there are few Toronto based people on here and I would like to gage peoples opinions on the place. I've visited a few times and have just been offered a job out there.

Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of life / cost of living? I live in London at the moment and if I did go it would mean a complete life change etc especially leaving friends and family behind so it's a really big decision to make.

Obviously with big decisions it seems customary to throw them open to debate on NSC...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Having lived there for 16 years I'd recommend it. So much so that I'm looking for a way to move back there-I have my Citizenship so that isn't a problem. Personal reasons led to me returning to the UK-in hindsight I should have stayed. It's a great place to live and work and the quality of life, in my opinion, is far superior to the UK.

Life in Toronto is different to the UK but you don't see too many people returning to the UK which would suggest that it's a great place to live. I'd recommend you take the job, stick it out for 3 or 4 years and if you don't like it after that, you can always return. As for leaving family and friends behind, that isn't as much of an issue as it seems. You can make new friends, your English friends can visit and you'll be fed up with family coming to visit. The internet makes it much easier to live overseas-I now keep in touch with my Canadian friends in a way that wasn't possible when I moved to Toronto.

What have you got to lose?

I'll let the current residents fill you in with the cost of living details-I'm interested in that myself.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My son has lived in Toronto for a couple of years. Had a great time. Winter is hard but you have to embrace it by doing winter activities rather than sit indoors and moan. Also he has taken many weekend trips to other parts of Canada and the US. As you have been to Toronto you will know it's a nice city. Having said all that my son reckons 2 to 3 years there is enough. He never did intend to settle there.So he is looking to come back to London.

modo

Mar 15, 2004
Streatham
Thanks Bwian,
Thats kind of what i'm thinking. Is there a big ex-pat community out there?

A big concern I have is the lack of holiday time people seem to have in Canada (the company are only offering me 3 weeks), which means traveling back to the UK will be hard.

With regards to what I have to loose... I'm a good position at my company now and moving out will mean taking half a step backwards to go forwards. I guess I'm more concerend that if it didn't work out and i wanted to come back it's unlikely i'd get a similar position / money.

I know it's an onerous and vulger question but how much money out there would be considered a 'good wage'

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've got more relatives in Ontario than I have here. I can thoroughly recommend Toronto given the proviso it's not London or Brighton for that matter. Some people find Canada a bit bland but that depends on what you want out of life. Me personally I love the rural areas and the space. It's true about the winters being harsh but at least they have the wherewithal to deal with it unlike here. You also get four proper seasons there and the summers are often much hotter than here.

To me Canada has most of the advantages of the American way of life but without most of the disadvanatges, it's a far better place to live than America. I'd say America is a better place to visit than Canada though.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Thanks Bwian,

A big concern I have is the lack of holiday time people seem to have in Canada (the company are only offering me 3 weeks), which means traveling back to the UK will be hard.

With regards to what I have to loose... I'm a good position at my company now and moving out will mean taking half a step backwards to go forwards. I guess I'm more concerend that if it didn't work out and i wanted to come back it's unlikely i'd get a similar position / money.

I know it's an onerous and vulger question but how much money out there would be considered a 'good wage'

If they match your Stirling salary in Canadian dollars you'd be laughing. Cost of living is lower there.

modo

Mar 15, 2004
Streatham
Thanks BHA,
Your thoughts are exactly what I was thinking! I don't mind the harsh winters... and yes to me Canada is like the States but without the bad bits!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Thanks Bwian,

There was never a big (British) ex-pat community when I was there. I've never understood that because Toronto has so many areas where other ex-pat communities thrive (Italian, Greek, Portugese, Chinese, etc.).

I wouldn't let holiday time affect your decision-how many times will you want to travel to the UK? If it's to see family and friends, they'll much prefer coming to see you...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Thanks BHA,
Your thoughts are exactly what I was thinking! I don't mind the harsh winters... and yes to me Canada is like the States but without the bad bits!

Like Americans?!

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
Been to Toronto twice and I love the place. The crime there is growing significantly, it's one of the worst in North America now, apparntly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went for a couple of weeks with work a few years back and I think it is a great city. I'd certainly consider living there.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Been to Toronto twice and I love the place. The crime there is growing significantly, it's one of the worst in North America now, apparntly.

When I lived there in the 80's it was one of the safest, possibly the safest, of any major city in the world. There was a noticeable change before I left thanks to a lot of imported trouble but it still felt very safe back then.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Lived there for 7 years in the 70s and have visited since. Would never choose to go back to live although I took Canadian citizenship.

On the negative side it is a bit of a boring city, nothing close by worth visiting except Niagara Falls, crappy winters which go on for ever, and the Canadian accent is awful, TV is even worse than the UK. And no BHA!

Positives: it is relatively safe, some good restaurants and night life.

If you are thinking of Canada and have a choice, then Vancouver is the place to go. A beautiful, fantastic city.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I don't know where that crime comment came from but it doesn't sound right to me. It certainly hasn't been a topic of conversation around these parts. There has been an increase in gang-related crime with teens shooting each other from time to time, but I would suggest staying out of the gangs - that should do it. I've never felt unsafe in Toronto.

That said, I've never really understood the lure of being in a big city. The best thing about being here is the space and the countryside. The winters really aren't that bad when you get used to it - I find the summers worse, as I don't have air conditioning. Mind you, this year we haven't really had a summer.

Personally I've never once regretted coming to Canada and could not imagine moving back.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I don't know where that crime comment came from but it doesn't sound right to me. It certainly hasn't been a topic of conversation around these parts. There has been an increase in gang-related crime with teens shooting each other from time to time, but I would suggest staying out of the gangs - that should do it. I've never felt unsafe in Toronto.

Yeah, sort of what I meant. I don't know all the figures but I have relatives who live near Toronto and they mentioned that gang crimes have picked up a lot since they've moved there. The news is always quick to mention the shit stuff, and shit stuff happens in EVERY city in the world on a regular basis.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
It's ok. Full of immigrants and can be a bit dull compared to Quebec City or Montreal, but it's still a nice little city. Plus side, cheaper standard of living, well supported football club and a proper winter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's ok. Full of immigrants and can be a bit dull compared to Quebec City or Montreal, but it's still a nice little city. Plus side, cheaper standard of living, well supported football club and a proper winter.

Isnt the whole of North America full of immigrants?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

You call f***ing freezing for three months and no leaves on the trees until May a proper winter? You're crazy!

My comment when I lived there to all who cared to listen was why the hell the early immigrants stayed there. As soon as the first winter arrived I would have been heading south to find somewhere warmer. That kind of winter is not fit for man nor beast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here