Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories in a total mess

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Doesn't seem to have affected their standard of living. Whenever I have visited the whole country seems well heeled, no slums etc..

I don't think you've been looking in the right places. There are ghettoes in every large city, and social deprivation of all kinds. A lot of tension below the surface, not unlike France.

The unemployment figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt - many are on re-named 'benefits' rather than unemployment.

Almost 10% of Swiss children live below the poverty line.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/-we-in-switzerland-have-a-real-poverty-problem-/28787926

High cost of living means the middle class are increasingly struggling to make ends meet.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/middle-class-struggle-to-stay-afloat--says-study/8781130

Pensioners living in poverty.

"Poverty amongst young people is a social time bomb" - http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/report-reveals-dangers-of-youth-poverty/6076714

Segregation in schools along class and racial lines. Immigrants separated and not taught the local languages.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I don't think you've been looking in the right places. There are ghettoes in every large city, and social deprivation of all kinds. A lot of tension below the surface, not unlike France.

The unemployment figures are to be taken with a pinch of slat - many are on re-named 'benefits' rather than unemployment.

Almost 10% of Swiss children live below the poverty line.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/-we-in-switzerland-have-a-real-poverty-problem-/28787926

High cost of living means the middle class are increasingly struggling to make ends meet.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/middle-class-struggle-to-stay-afloat--says-study/8781130

Pensioners living in poverty.

"Poverty amongst young people is a social time bomb" - http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/report-reveals-dangers-of-youth-poverty/6076714

Segregation in schools along class and racial lines. Immigrants separated and not taught the local languages.

Are they that bad off? They were talking about giving everyone £1750 a month living wage for FREE the other day.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I was having a conversation with someone who was adamant that the Swiss only allow migrants who come in on a working permit/visa that when they're done/retirement they go back to where they came from.

I was dubious but never looked it up. He'd been there a few times for work and was sure of it.

Bollocks? ???

I've heard the same thing several times over the years. Like you, I have no clue if it's true. I'd be interested to know. Interested enough to read your post clarifying what you find, but not interested enough to do primary research...just so that we're clear. :wink:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I can't wait for Boris to be PM with Gove and IDS alongside him and Farage as Home Sec.

Happy days.

That scenario would make me want to emigrate, and I consider myself proud to be British.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think Farage's diplomatic skills will see him as Foreign Secretary. He and Boris will enjoy powwowing with Trump and Putin. This sounds like the very definition of an 'Unholy Alliance/Triple Entente'.

Sounds like "The end of civilisation as we know it".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are they that bad off? They were talking about giving everyone £1750 a month living wage for FREE the other day.

Half of Switzerland's wealth is owned by just THREE % of people. Massive inequality.

Take away those three % and the national average income is around CHF3,000 (£2k) per month, rather than the CHF6,000 suggested 'average'. £500 per week does not go far in Switzerland.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Half of Switzerland's wealth is owned by just THREE % of people. Massive inequality.

Take away those three % and the national average income is around CHF3,000 (£2k) per month, rather than the CHF6,000 suggested 'average'. £500 per week does not go far in Switzerland.
Lovely Country to visit but far to expensive and I agree with Hans I been to Switzerland many times.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

This is what some of them do with their wealth.

Oberwil-Lieli: It seems that more trouble is brewing-up for the asylum seekers in the Europe Union as people of one of the wealthiest villages of this region have refused to accept any migrants – and instead voted to pay a fine of a hefty £200,000.

According to The Telegraph, the residents in the picturesque Swiss village of Oberwil-Lieli unanimously voted for 'no' in a referendum on whether to accept the refugees. And the reason for their choice is more shocking. “Because they wouldn't fit in," said the villagers when asked.

Their is one more reason which has led the super-rich of Switzerland’s alpine resort of Oberwil-Lieli to vote ‘no’ in a referendum to accept just ten migrants.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'd need 10 times that to live in Switzerland. The dullest country I've visited by far.

PS The cash hand out you mention is an alternative to benefits and economic model...any country pulling taxes can do it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I was having a conversation with someone who was adamant that the Swiss only allow migrants who come in on a working permit/visa that when they're done/retirement they go back to where they came from.

I was dubious but never looked it up. He'd been there a few times for work and was sure of it.

Bollocks? ???

I knew a tart who worked in a Swiss lap dancing club and it was all correct, work permit, visa for the time allowed and paying tax etc. When visa expired they went home, obviously with a lot more cash than when they got there

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Just to add another angle on this emergency budget.
I think there is a possibility that due to Osbornes total cock up of a budget and the finances being in a mess that he actually thought that if we vote out, which looks likely, he could mend it by bringing in more tax and cut spending and blame it all on the leavers, only he did not think that half the Tories and the public would rebel, this is the way Cameron and Osborne work these days, making crass, punishing and unnecessary decisions thinking that whatever the reason for it we will all believe them, unbelievable egos.
On the other hand if it scares the voters to stay in then its mission accomplished.
They have not thought that we can all see Camerons and Osbornes nasty fingerprints all over it.

PS I don't think that Boris is really that bothered, he may want out but for him this is totally a quick route to number 10 now he is out of the spotlight as London Mayor. He really is a nasty, devisive piece of work but he may very well get his way but don't expect anything he has said to actually happen once his fat arse hits the chair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here