Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories going for it...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Seems odd for a leader under pressure to bring in a former leadership candidate who she sacked only year ago. What must the other 300-odd Tory MPs keen for a Cabinet position think about that?

boik

She'll have changed her mind in the morning.

I know that that was just a throw away joke, but it really bugs me that changing your mind is used to beat politicians of all shades. We voters change our minds all over the time, and as events change then it is inevitable that initial interpretations will have to be revised, and yet it is considered to be a cardinal sin rather than sensible revision.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know that that was just a throw away joke, but it really bugs me that changing your mind is used to beat politicians of all shades. We voters change our minds all over the time, and as events change then it is inevitable that initial interpretations will have to be revised, and yet it is considered to be a cardinal sin rather than sensible revision.

I agree, and it's one of my bug-bears that a "U-turn" is deemed to be the worst of all political sin, when actually I do WANT a politician to be prepared to change their mind when they realise the strength of view coming from the public, especially if the point being raised is a good and valid one. Of course you want them to be right first time, and have the courage of their convictions, but I do also want them to LISTEN.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

I think the issue here raised by the comment is that she keep ******* up in the first place, and then has her mind changed.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I agree, and it's one of my bug-bears that a "U-turn" is deemed to be the worst of all political sin, when actually I do WANT a politician to be prepared to change their mind when they realise the strength of view coming from the public, especially if the point being raised is a good and valid one. Of course you want them to be right first time, and have the courage of their convictions, but I do also want them to LISTEN.

It's a paradox, for sure.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree completely. So I'm just going to repeat what you said, as 'I agree' doesn't feel sufficient.

Yes we want them to get everything right first time. But no politician has ever done that. So when they get it wrong, do we want them to think 'oops', but carry on regardless, because they know U turns are unforgivable, or do we want them to do what's best for the country?

We obviously want the latter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

With you, but it also rests on there being a media that deals with such issues appropriately, which we're unlikely to get from our most popular two organs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

become very overused, its now applied when policy details adjust, when policy detail doesn't meet what opponents said it would be, or even when policy exploration is turned down. whatever happens to white papers?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

That's all very well when you are not in Government and you have just called an Election and say ''vote for me and we will do this for you'' Then change your mind as soon as the votes are in the bag. That's not adapting to circumstances. That's called lying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here