Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Top Bands who never had a hit song

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This is the issue. I mean, look at Led Zeppelin. Not many singles as such and when they did I'm not sure they troubled the scorekeepers.
I'm not sure I would count LED Z, stairway is a classic and considered one of, if not, the greatest rock track of all time. Whether it was released as a single is not the barometer of hit song imo

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
TOTP used the cover version by CCS.
I was being ironic 😜

Many bands in the 1970s and 1980s stopped worrying about singles, the money was in touring and albums. For many bands, e.g Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin etc, the album was all important, not the individual tracks. And of course, the prog rock bands rarely released singles, as their album tracks were too long.
I think we are now seeing the same thing today with streaming. It doesn't matter for most artists whether their singles are hits anymore.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Toots and the Maytals , made well known records but never had a hit afaik .

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Portishead.
Three albums all getting to number 2 in the charts and selling gazillions.
Just one top ten single, think it was All Mine.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I was being ironic 😜
It still wasn't Led Zep though! :) :wink:

TBH, it would probably been better if the OP had specified top twenty - which is probably the criterion most of us were thinking of. It might have saved the odd argument!
Agree your point about prog rock bands only doing LPs though.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Grateful Dead?
Velvet Underground?
Led Zeppelin never had a top 20 single in the UK.
Genesis (only had hits after Gabriel left, and they switched to playing MOR).
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) peaked at 21and spent 4 weeks in the top 30.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes, for a time, TOTP insisted on bands re-recording their songs (before miming to them!) Something to do with not playing the records, I suppose? Copyright, record company royalties or something?

Anyway, it wasn't Led Zep introducing TOTP every week...............................
As far as the theme music was concerned, I'm pretty sure that must have been down to not paying royalties to the record company.

I know that in the 60s there was a rule about not playing more than x hours of recorded music on the radio, which is why they did "live" sessions that were actually prerecorded, but I don't know if that rule covered TOTP or television more generally.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As far as the theme music was concerned, I'm pretty sure that must have been down to not paying royalties to the record company.

I know that in the 60s there was a rule about not playing more than x hours of recorded music on the radio, which is why they did "live" sessions that were actually prerecorded, but I don't know if that rule covered TOTP or television more generally.
Yep, strange times - 'Needle time' agreement prevented the Beeb playing many records on the radio - that's why they employed people like Elvis Costello's dad to sing cover versions. I'm pretty sure it covered TV too - some of the 'Pop' programmes featured Pinky and Perky singing the latest chart hits.........
For those who couldn't afford hit singles, Woollies used to sell cheaper singles on their own label which were cover versions of whatever was in the charts at the time!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Grateful Dead?
Velvet Underground?
Led Zeppelin never had a top 20 single in the UK.
Genesis (only had hits after Gabriel left, and they switched to playing MOR).
I would hardly call Wind and Wuthering MOR!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
The levellers were pretty popular in the 1990's but never had a top 10 single

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here