Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top 6 on merit after 10 games

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think following completion of the tenth game, the worst we can be is 8th. It seems to be accepted that after 10 games you are where you are in the table by merit, not just a run of easier games.

With performances like yesterdays and Man City second halves we have shown that we can compete and do very well against the best teams in the League. we are unbeaten away, and have picked up points in all but two games

There is no doubt we are top ten on merit, and all indications are that we are well placed to maintain that throughout the coming months.

I think we still have to improve before we can say with any confidence that we are a top six side,and I dont think many of us believe we are, but the "long term" goal of being a top ten club may be closer than many of us thought at the start of the season. I actually think that qualifying for Europe (mad as it seems to be seriously saying that) this year would not be a good thing long term. While we have a great squad, the extra games would possibly be too much for us at present, and next season we could suffer in a similar way that other clubs have done.

A couple of seasons consolidating around 12-8th , with maybe a cup run would be a remarkable achievement and allow us to build the in depth squad that is needed for the European tour.

One not of caution though, while we are sitting pretty at the moment we are only a quarter of the way in, we have some tough games ahead, and there is still time for it to go wrong. I must say though that with each week that goes by, that scenario seems to be becoming less and less likley

I'm afraid that the only part of your post that l agree with is the final paragraph.

Yes we are progressing well, but to talk about qualifying for Europe is madness. Top ten this season? l seriously doubt it, but even a final placing of say 12th or 13th l'd be delighted with.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm afraid that the only part of your post that l agree with is the final paragraph.

Yes we are progressing well, but to talk about qualifying for Europe is madness. Top ten this season? l seriously doubt it, but even a final placing of say 12th or 13th l'd be delighted with.

I agree with you but I will be more optimistic if we take at least 12 points from our next 6 games.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

with Europe places going to 7 teams, and with the likes of Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs,Everton, hardly setting the pace, then as unlikely as it may seem 7th is not out of the question- although it may be unlikely I agree.

You say you disagree with all of my post except the last paragraph, so you think we do not deserve to be in the top 8 now. That I do not understand, we didnt get a point yesterday by luck, or a fluke, it was well deserved at the only undefeated club in the league. We came inches away from a win.

Who would you say then "deserves " our position more than us?

If we are where we are on merit now, which I believe we are, then why should we then think we can not keep here or here abouts.

By the way , I agree finishing anywhere above 13th would be a great season, however given our current form then I dont think its total "madness" to say that 7th is obtainable-even if somewhat unlikely and would require some luck with injuries and suspensions and the like.

Personally I think we will finish in that 13-9th range, but I certainly wont dismiss out of hand the possibility of finishing higher

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
with Europe places going to 7 teams, and with the likes of Leicester, Arsenal, Spurs,Everton, hardly setting the pace, then as unlikely as it may seem 7th is not out of the question- although it may be unlikely I agree.

You say you disagree with all of my post except the last paragraph, so you think we do not deserve to be in the top 8 now. That I do not understand, we didnt get a point yesterday by luck, or a fluke, it was well deserved at the only undefeated club in the league. We came inches away from a win.

Who would you say then "deserves " our position more than us?

If we are where we are on merit now, which I believe we are, then why should we then think we can not keep here or here abouts.

By the way , I agree finishing anywhere above 13th would be a great season, however given our current form then I dont think its total "madness" to say that 7th is obtainable-even if somewhat unlikely and would require some luck with injuries and suspensions and the like.

Personally I think we will finish in that 13-9th range, but I certainly wont dismiss out of hand the possibility of finishing higher

Yes l'd bite your hand off to finish i9th to 13th. Yes l agree that we deserve to be where we are in the table currently, and maybe l am being overly cautious. I'm just trying to remain grounded, a long way to go yet, and plenty of time for things tro go wrong yet, as we both know.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Can’t find the quote, but paraphrasing someone on RAWK (LPool Forum) yesterday ‘At least we haven’t lost to the three (other) best teams in the league @ Anfield!’

Keep players fit and we’ll all have nosebleeds at our PL altitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here