Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Too nice?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Are Albion as a club too nice?
Could we, should we, have told Chelsea to **** off re Potter? It’s one thing being trusted as a stepping stone for a player, something completely different to allow one man to rip your entire operating management team out in one go, even departing CEOs of multinationals can’t normally do that.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Could we, should we, have told Chelsea to **** off re Potter? It’s one thing being trusted as a stepping stone for a player, something completely different to allow one man to rip your entire operating management team out in one go, even departing CEOs of multinationals can’t normally do that.
Yes.

Although as has been said elsewhere Potter could have resigned had we blocked him I guess. Does seem like we rolled over a bit too easily though.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton

There was a buyout clause which was met so it isnt a decision at that point

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Practically impossible, even less so when we’ve put a release clause in his contract.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
What can the club do? Force Potter and team, Bruno and Roberts to stay?

As others have said, it's the way of modern football. We did it to Swansea and many clubs for their players.

We don't know what the future holds, right now it hurts big time for the heart of our coaching staff to be ripped out.

But our philosophy got us where we are today and will keep us going in the future.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Remember when Spurs were interested in him it was the release clause payment that they seemed to have baulked at. Was obviously a lot more than the amount that was being quoted back then now we know what Chelsea had to pay.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What can the club do? Force Potter and team, Bruno and Roberts to stay?

As others have said, it's the way of modern football. We did it to Swansea and many clubs for their players.

We don't know what the future holds, right now it hurts big time for the heart of our coaching staff to be ripped out.

But our philosophy got us where we are today and will keep us going in the future.

Let’s see who we get in as manager next? I’ll wager we’re in a much better position to get top talent with them knowing that we’d not stand in their way if they wanted a top 6 job (providing the buy out fee is paid of course).

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Yes we are too nice at all levels, too much fawning over Potter from club to fans now he's gone... xxxx them all and move on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The only mourning required is for Her Majesty.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes we are too nice at all levels, too much fawning over Potter from club to fans now he's gone... xxxx them all and move on.
This, it did seem some supported Potter fc and not BHA. Venomous against those who didn’t tow the line. I did have a little chuckle yesterday when he f.ucked them all over.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Maybe the transfer window should also apply to managerial appointments too. If you sack a manager during the season you either have to wait until January or the summer to replace them?

And yes, we are too nice. I think from here on in we have to be a bit more ruthless in dealing with vultures like Chelsea. Otherwise I can see a potential exodus of players in January at this rate.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think we're too nice

I think there might be an argument that we pay too little, but that wouldn't have affected things in this example as we can't compete with Chelsea and what they are offering.

In the medium term though we need to consider how we can stem the flow of key personnel

Sent from my M2101K9G using Tapatalk

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
Transfer window should include managers, u can sack a manager if u must. However a new manager must have been not attached to any club before the first game of the season. New managers can only change clubs from end of season to beginning of next.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I’m afraid on this I’m of the contrary view. We could have dug our heels in, created a soap opera that lasted for a week or two, burned our bridges and unsettled our players, turned the atmosphere around the club toxic, but we chose not to.

GP wanted to go and he’s gone. He’s taken his coaching team too, that also seems fairly standard practice these days. Where’s the upside in dragging this out? Once somebody’s decided they want to go, they want to go.

If we rebuffed Chelsea’s advances we suddenly have a manager who’s feeling denied other opportunities. Would he still have the same focus? Would the relationships between coach and directors remain the same? In my view those relationships wouldn’t survive.

We trusted in Potter to manage our club, but we trust in Tony who put him there. We will soon have a new manager, with a new coaching team. They will take time to get bedded in, and I’d expect a blip or two, but I’m still optimistic for the future.

It’s the difference between expelling a shit smoothly with no friction, and trying to force a hardened turd seemingly made of barbed wire out from an ******** that seems to have shrunk to the size of a pinhole. Given the choice between the two, I’d take the easy route.

Which reminds me, I must book that colonoscopy…

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Only thing we are is too well run. Doesn't matter if we're nice or not when the time comes for our rivals to offer 3 times, and upwards, the salary we pay to our players or staff then of course they are going to go. Money talks; especially in the PL. By not being dicks at least we have that in our favour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here