Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Blooms vision for the club (aka Olive Branch II)

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I saw it in the same manner and didnt mind at all but considering the endless debate regarding Potter this season, there cant be much if any doubt that it was going to provoke some (which also happened) and I wont believe for a second GB wasnt aware of it. In itself not provoking, in the wider context more so. And as you say, its just an example.

Personally I dont make any CH vs GP comparisons. I've retrospectively seen a few Brighton games where CH was in charge but not enough to say all that much.

While I generally disagree with the perception of the strength of this squad - its a very common opinion on pretty much every PL teams forum that "we have better players than our league position", and not everyone can be right about it - I do think, from what I saw of the CH squad, that it was quite an achievement to stay up in the league the two first seasons, so well done to CH. On that matter my only opinion that might differ from some on this subject is that I dont think the current squad is all that much better (yet). I've seen enough of Trossard, Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Zeqiri, Jahanbaksh & co to believe that the expectations of some fans are higher than the capacity of the squad (unless they perform above their abilities). But thats a bit OT.

But as mentioned, there is too much harshness and fickle, exaggerated and/or opportunistic bashing of various individuals at the club and its just as tiresome, tedious and toxic as the "thread bumping" stuff. At the end of the day the club is in the Premier League despite a small budget, its one of the best clubs in Europe when it comes to playing academy players, the stadium is getting new seats pretty much biannually, continued improvement of the training facilities, lots of exciting talents from the senior squad downwards, the womens team are making progress, the club is involved and on the good side of social matters/footy politics, the boys are trying their best to play good football... knee-jerk hysteria about the club not progressing or some that someone needs to be sacked or that some player should never wear the shirt again, its all a bit exaggerated and unnecessary. Some believe that being generally positive is "happy clapping" and that being overly negative and asking for blood is "being balanced". I dont buy that.

Why did you bump that thread the other day then.

Also in 2020 we managed 31 points in 2021 we have managed 28 points if we win today thats 31 points. The thread that was bumped yesterday was quoting people from around the turn of the year. Potter has turned things around and he and the team should take credit for it. The same as 2020 wasn't good in terms of results and Potter and the team should take responsability for it. It isn't Knee-jerk. It isn't wrong it is what happens in a results based industry.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That it is.
Even on the 'I was wrong about...' thread, there were posters who couldn't just answer that without then putting '.., but I was right about ...'.
So so small.

I can't begin to imagine just how fragile some egos are that people can't possibly be wrong to a group of faceless, nameless, strangers who they are never going to actively meet

There's also another side to this many headed beast the:-

'You were wrong, I said you were wrong, and I was proven right'.
That can stick in the craw of many a poster, it's as if that validates every other differing opinion that is made for years to come.

In 5 years time I'm still going to be getting shite for being #TeamAliJ. :shrug:

What does that say about those posters?

The weirdest thing of all is that we all want the same thing.

We want our 'escape' to be good.
The fact that it's the best it's ever been still isn't enough for the 'I'm right' posse and 'haha you were so wrong'ists.

Not strictly true hun. You are forgetting NSC Curry Night. This year you are going to have to have some pretty good explanations for your support for Ali J xxxxxxxxxxx

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not strictly true hun. You are forgetting NSC Curry Night. This year you are going to have to have some pretty good explanations for your support for Ali J xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks hun

xxx

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Also in 2020 we managed 31 points in 2021 we have managed 28 points if we win today thats 31 points. The thread that was bumped yesterday was quoting people from around the turn of the year. Potter has turned things around and he and the team should take credit for it. The same as 2020 wasn't good in terms of results and Potter and the team should take responsability for it. It isn't Knee-jerk. It isn't wrong it is what happens in a results based industry.

This

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There won’t be one professional football club in the world where all the fan base is aligned, we are no different. The sooner people realise this the better we all will be.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

is there an industry that is not results based? and how do they resolve issues?

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
is there an industry that is not results based? and how do they resolve issues?

They have resolved the issues at the moment so they just carry on. I will say it again if we win today we will have the same amount of points in 2021 as we did in the whole of 2020. Every season I start of with minimum hope we manage 10 wins 10 draws.This for me more or less guarantee we get another season in the prem. What I have learnt is 9 wins will do. If we win today then we would have 8 wins in 2021 for me thats fantastic.

I do not have any issues at the moment with Potter, my issues are with people who try and make out that 5 wins in a year is something that should be ignored or de-valued then when things have been turned around they put the reactions of those people into the context of today which is different from just 6 months ago.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
You make it sound very one-sided, which is not really the case. Some of you who are on the fence just want the freedom to change opinions on a daily basis, thus never being held responsible whenever you go into "this guy is shite and this guy or this guy should be sacked" modes. Its not "balanced".

GB is a good example, probably the best. Wants to portray himself as some kind of balanced voice of reason but raises his pitchfork at every opportunity and the shit stirring he accuses others of is his own speciality. Just take the draw against Chelsea - immediatly pops up calling it a "Chris Hughtonesque performance". Not necessarily wrong but to anyone who could put two and two together, it was obviously deliberately provoking.

Couple of lost points early on, he starts a thread about how everyone is good enough... except Dan Burn. Poor spell, "the club is regressing". "Get rid of Dan Ashworth". "Look at Swansea now, they are better off without Potter". Thread after thread after thread. Balanced? No, knee-jerk and tiresome. But whenever things are going well, mode swiftly changes to :whistle::whistle::whistle: "nah.... just balancing on my fence here tra la la". Or Stat Brother, "neutrally" lurking through various threads looking for opportunities to take some vague, barely comprehensible dig at someone (Tony Bloom one of the main targets).

I'm not saying that this "post bouncing" or these "GP in/out" polls/discussions are not divisive, but I think you are overlooking the effect of having some people constantly throughout the season looking for new witches to burn or any and every opportunity to take a dig at their least favorite character at the club has similar divisive effect. I'm not against being critical against anyone doing a job for the club, its normal, but the whole "make every drizzle seem like its hailing" thing is something we'd be equally good without as these olive branches.

So people aren't allowed to change their opinion?

I agree some people are very reactionary (on both the 'Potter in' and 'Potter out' sides) after results but some people are like that. Heck, a number of football club owners are like that which is why they go through so many managers.

There is nothing that says 'you must take a stance on something and stand by it vehemently for the season' and then if people do criticize or have 'knee-jerk' reactions, that doesn't necessarily make them wrong. At the time the club were regressing. Swansea probably are 'better off' without Potter. At the time, maybe Dan Ashworth hadn't done a good job. Things and opinions can change over time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here