Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom - Sami is here to stay

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I don't know Tony Bloom at all and can only base my assumptions on what I've seen him say in print or on video.

But I would imagine he's had pretty frank talks with the coaching staff and sought assurances that improvements are happening. As part of that process I would imagine he would assure Sami that he will back him publicly, unless things deteriorate on the pitch. Then of course he would be sacked. Sami must understand that, as any manager would.

Just glad we don't have a chairman who feels the need to mouth off or publicly interfere with the coaches he employs. And while I have doubts about Hyppia, it's only fair that he is given more time to put things right, not least because I'm not sure who would do a better job at this particular time.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
From today's Argus - Tony Bloom: Sami Hyypia is here to stay

Tony Bloom expects the Finn to be at the club "for many years to come".

"I have every Blind faith with Sami and Nathan's coaching team and the players that we will come through and it will make us stronger."

"I'm absolutely loving being chairman of this great football club. I have absolutely no intention of selling. I think I will be here for many years to come."

Edited it for you.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
But you haven't even given them a chance! I'm not saying everything is rosy, far from it, but you've got to give them a chance. So what if we have a mediocre season, flirt with relegatoon, but end up mid table, these things happen. I use to sit there and laugh at clubs like Wolves, Leeds and Sheffield Wed where fans thought they should always be in the top 6 every season, but it seems we have gone that way as well.

There has been so much change over the last 5 years and whilst the club hasn't helped itself with its "Premier League Ready" slogan, a season or two of treading water, sorting the off the field finances out is fine by me.
I'm all for giving people a fair chance. And don't like the managerial merry go round that has been imported to the English game in last 20 yrs.

But if I ran a restaurant and my new head chef seemed to struggle with basic recipes and consistently used the wrong ingredients I'd probably sack him. There's only so much learning on the job that is viable.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm all for giving people a fair chance. And don't like the managerial merry go round that has been imported to the English game in last 20 yrs.

But if I ran a restaurant and my new head chef seemed to struggle with basic recipes and consistently used the wrong ingredients I'd probably sack him. There's only so much learning on the job that is viable.

I do not disagree. But you made the decision to recruit a novice chef - what changed ?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I do not disagree. But you made the decision to recruit a novice chef - what changed ?
That's a fair point and board are culpable. Our strategy of appointing relatively inexperienced managers bore fruit twice (even if second was a bit undigestible at times). I suppose this is realisation of the risk.

But in business - and that's what this is - if senior appointments don't work it's not unusual for quick and decisive action to be taken.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What exactly were you expecting him to say? "Sami is a poor manager and I'm going to sack him soon"?

What about- If we are not in the top 6 by March he is gone?

(With a silent clause of : if we are in bottom 4 at Christmas he will not be here for New Year)

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I wonder if Tony Bloom and Sami Hyypia have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' that if we haven't reached a certain position in the league by a certain time then Hyypia will step down. That way it allows Tony Bloom to publicly back the management team and the players without backing himself into a corner of having to hang on to a management team that isn't working?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I don't know Tony Bloom at all and can only base my assumptions on what I've seen him say in print or on video.

But I would imagine he's had pretty frank talks with the coaching staff and sought assurances that improvements are happening. As part of that process I would imagine he would assure Sami that he will back him publicly, unless things deteriorate on the pitch. Then of course he would be sacked. Sami must understand that, as any manager would.

Just glad we don't have a chairman who feels the need to mouth off or publicly interfere with the coaches he employs. And while I have doubts about Hyppia, it's only fair that he is given more time to put things right, not least because I'm not sure who would do a better job at this particular time.

I think that is fair enough. Sami will be under pressure anyway, not least from himself, so to publicly back him and to keep things calm within the club is only going to help.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
According to the BBC Sportsday page, not only is Bloom backing Hyppia, but he's going to strengthen in January: ???

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom says he is prepared to back manager Sami Hyypia in the January transfer window.

The Seagulls signed eight players in the summer but have struggled in the Championship and currently lie 20th in the table.

"Generally January is not a place I like to do business but for the right player at the right price, we certainly will," Bloom told BBC Sussex.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
most shocking quote in the interveiw is that the current squad is the most expensive in terms of salary in the clubs history......

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Hyypia deserves at little longer yet so, with that in mind, I'm glad Bloom is sticking to his guns and backing the manager.
Yep. On balance, I'd say he deserves the rest of the year. With Elliott Bennett back in the fold and Dale Stephens returning from injury, he will have every chance to turn results around.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
According to the BBC Sportsday page, Bloom backing Hyppia

Chairman backing Hyppia.

This wouldn't happen in Germany. Fact.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
"I'm absolutely loving being chairman of this great football club. I have absolutely no intention of selling. I think I will be here for many years to come."
That's all I needed to know. Thank you Tony!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
According to the BBC Sportsday page, not only is Bloom backing Hyppia, but he's going to strengthen in January: ???

Brighton chairman Tony Bloom says he is prepared to back manager Sami Hyypia in the January transfer window.

The Seagulls signed eight players in the summer but have struggled in the Championship and currently lie 20th in the table.

"Generally January is not a place I like to do business but for the right player at the right price, we certainly will," Bloom told BBC Sussex.

Isn't that the exact quote he says around this time every year??

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Isn't that the exact quote he says around this time every year??

Yep word for word.

I do think the change in FFP rules means we are more likely to splash the cash though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here