Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Bloom lumps yet another £8m on his Albion Premier League dream

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
People need to realise this is a very well run club and we should never break the bank or take a gamble on getting to the prem....You could spend £100 million and fail and you'll end up having a dressing room full of egos and seriously overpaid players.The pressure is on the big spenders and they certainly won't find it easy when the tough gets going.

We have some fantastic players and a great manager and we'll be up there for sure :)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The ground and training ground are mortgaged and are ASSETS which will appreciate over time.
Players are ASSETS which depreciate over time.
Where is TB investing his COMPANY'S money?
I've had enough of this. Hands up who on here owns a football club? What's that, no one, funny that, because it costs a fortune, traditionally you have to be the richest person in a city to own that club. Therefore stop cryarsing that you sink loads into the club, that's the point. Otherwise everyone would have one.

Players are stock valued at the lower of cost or net realisable value

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We've got a solid defence and outstanding midfield. Murray is capable up front, Hemed bagged 17 last year in a weaker team. We'll be OK, and if reinforcements are required we've kept our powder dry for January.

A decent (if slightly boring) transfer deadline day.

Hasn't Tony Bloom said he doesn't like doing business in January though ?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It's certainly a gamble, if we don't go up this season then we'll almost certainly lose him for nothing next Summer.

That said, Tony is a hell of a gambler so I'm willing to trust him - I do, however, have the same nagging feeling as others that our failure to sign that last piece of the puzzle that we all wanted (TB included, no doubt) may cost us.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The onus is now on team spirit work ethic and a team that scores....we apart from Saturday have not done too bad so far,more far more to come and don't look at any table till October 1st.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I'm not sure why people keep going on about a striker our problems were conceding last season which has been more than adequately rectified over the summer
For me it's been a good window
Also I think we are more worried than we need to be we lost to the best side in the division no shame in that in all other games we've been the better team I suspect that will still be the case in the majority of games this season

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agreed he has done well but short sighted not to have gone the step extra and signed a striker to make it more likely....

FFS BG we tried to get a striker, we knew who we wanted, we must not have been able to get him. We don't know why but we tried.

I don't want us to go for someone just because we couldn't get what the Manager thought we needed. We now know we have funds to push in January should we be right up there again. We are a good side still and we will be there or thereabouts come May next year

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yeah, it's so easy to spend £10m-£20m of someone elses money. Last season we were the highest scorers in the league, and still people bleat on about another f***ing striker. Maybe all of these keyboard warriors know the sum of f*** all. If our defence had been better last year, we would have gone up.

That is a much stated statistic that is very much overstated simply because at Easter we were so far behind on GD that we had no choice but to throw caution to the wind and out last few scores gave a false impression. Had we done the same in the period September to December we would now be in the Premier not chasing possible play offs again.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm not sure why people keep going on about a striker our problems were conceding last season which has been more than adequately rectified over the summer
For me it's been a good window
Also I think we are more worried than we need to be we lost to the best side in the division no shame in that in all other games we've been the better team I suspect that will still be the case in the majority of games this season
How do you know they're the best side regardless of finances?
The best side wins the league and they've lost two already :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FFS BG we tried to get a striker, we knew who we wanted, we must not have been able to get him. We don't know why but we tried.

I don't want us to go for someone just because we couldn't get what the Manager thought we needed. We now know we have funds to push in January should we be right up there again. We are a good side still and we will be there or thereabouts come May next year

Obviously didnt try hard enough as we failed for whatever reason.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We've got a solid defence and outstanding midfield. Murray is capable up front, Hemed bagged 17 last year in a weaker team. We'll be OK, and if reinforcements are required we've kept our powder dry for January.

A decent (if slightly boring) transfer deadline day.

Pretty much agree with that - and boring in this case is good. We have retained our three biggest assets (Knockaert, Dunk and Stephens), which is a major plus as far as I'm concerned.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People need to realise this is a very well run club and we should never break the bank or take a gamble on getting to the prem....You could spend £100 million and fail and you'll end up having a dressing room full of egos and seriously overpaid players.The pressure is on the big spenders and they certainly won't find it easy when the tough gets going.

We have some fantastic players and a great manager and we'll be up there for sure :)

I don't *always* agree with you (ahem) but that's 110% spot on :bigwave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This season Baldock could come good. I'm hopeful. :kiss:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Obviously didnt try hard enough as we failed for whatever reason. We had about 3 months to sort it out. We have made the defence tighter so perhaps we should be grateful for that and hope that Murray doesnt get injured or suspended.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Anyway you cannot say TB has given up £8m, he would have had to reinvest at least half of that on a replacement potentially on greater wages.
I'm sore tonight because like last January we are so close, and like last January we haven't completed the jigsaw.

Won't we just get the money in January. Does anyone really think we are going to run his contract down to nothing?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's not just that Baldock doesn't score, the guy got red carded vs Newcastle and killed our chances of a result there. If Murray gets injured we are f*cked.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's certainly a gamble, if we don't go up this season then we'll almost certainly lose him for nothing next Summer.

That said, Tony is a hell of a gambler so I'm willing to trust him - I do, however, have the same nagging feeling as others that our failure to sign that last piece of the puzzle that we all wanted (TB included, no doubt) may cost us.

But he has an improved deal on the table. To not sign it would cost him probably tens of thousands of pounds. Surely he is better off signing an extention to his contract with a pay rise than not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here