Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Cruise cast as Jack Reacher!?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
This is probably the worst case of mis-casting since John Hannah played Rebus.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
shocking decision read all the reacher books.... Daniel Craig... or if he could act Dolf Lingren... my god i would be a better choice than Tom Cruise.... i guess eeeeeez complicated.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My favourite film is One Flew Over The Cuckoo`s Nest but the casting of Jack Nicholson raised a few eyebrows from many who had read Ken Kesey`s wonderful novel. The character he played was R.P. Macmurthy. a 6ft 4in flamed haired Irishman. Nicholson nailed it because he had amazing talent but I suspect Tom Cruise might come up short.
Sometimes an actor has to give a little less of the character and little more of himself when adapting book to film.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My favourite film is One Flew Over The Cuckoo`s Nest but the casting of Jack Nicholson raised a few eyebrows from many who had read Ken Kesey`s wonderful novel. The character he played was R.P. Macmurthy. a 6ft 4in flamed haired Irishman. Nicholson nailed it because he had amazing talent but I suspect Tom Cruise might come up short.
Sometimes an actor has to give a little less of the character and little more of himself when adapting book to film.

As you point out, there is a stark difference between the two "actors". I see Cruise as more of a Jack Duckworth. His homeworthy charms and sly want-away-from-his-wife potbelliedness would make him ideal for "Corrie", released in cinemas June 2012.

Sep 9, 2010
The film's been in the pipeline for some time (a couple of years I believe) and I think Cruise has been on board pretty much from the start as producer. Reacher's such a good character that perhaps Cruise, knowing he's playing a big part in finance / progress, has denied anyone else the chance to play the lead - kind of "first dibs".

Lee Child himself has supported TC saying Reacher's size is a just a metaphor for an "immovable object", but he would hardly come out and criticise Cruise though..

For me - I agree with everyone else - Cruise is wrong. Other than his size he is too much of a pretty boy. Reacher needs to be a bit more grizzled.

Still going to watch the film though. One Shot as one of my favourite books (and I've read 'em all :_))

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
Nice One!

Perhaps Mr Cruise will be wearing his well-used 11 inch 'lifts' discretely hidden in his shoes...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
There have been some really good suggestions on here, i particularly like Gerard Butler, Sawyer (cant remember his real name) from lost would also be good or even Russell Crowe could all nail this part but Tom Cruise? Oh well...

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
My girlfriend who is a big Jack Reacher fan saw the trailer at the cinema today and was not happy.

I have just watched the trailer myself and I can confirm Tom Cruise is not the Jack Reacher I picture in my head when reading the books.:(

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Watched this the other day and as a big fan of the books, was slightly apprehensive about seeing it! Have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The plot was changed somewhat, but I guess that is necessary in order to keep the running time down. Cruise gave a very good performance as Reacher and I barely noticed the height difference to be honest. I'm hoping some of the better books in the series get considered as a sequel.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If the author has said its ok then it ok. Besides the cruiser is arguable the no1 action hero in the world at the moment.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the film, being a big fan of the books and rather apprehensive about TC playing the huge imposing figure of Reacher.

But whilst I did enjoy the film, I must say I chuckled at the scene - shot from above - when he walked into the bar and appeared to be eight inches taller than everyone in the place.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Was thinking about this the other day. Would have to be Gerard Butler for me. Would have posted a pic if I knew how to do it, Doh!
Agreed

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the film, being a big fan of the books and rather apprehensive about TC playing the huge imposing figure of Reacher.

But whilst I did enjoy the film, I must say I chuckled at the scene - shot from above - when he walked into the bar and appeared to be eight inches taller than everyone in the place.

What did you think of the ending? Was the part that differed most from the book for me but was still pretty good. Was disappointed some of the more peripheral characters from the book were left out, especially Reacher's love interest from the Army. I also thought it was strange they substituted the first Gulf War for the more recent Iraq conflict, but I guess it made it more current.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here