Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Today's the day...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Soooooo............7 or 7 plus? Is it worth the extra for the better camera, or does the additional size of the plus make it too much of a pain whilst out running?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Soooooo............7 or 7 plus? Is it worth the extra for the better camera, or does the additional size of the plus make it too much of a pain whilst out running?
The 7 plus is probably more appropriate if you're training to be a soldier.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

The camera does look excellent, but I can imagine the extra size would be annoying when running. Perhaps someone with a 6 Plus can give their thoughts? I've never owned anything larger than the iPhone 5 form factor, and personally find both the 6 and 6 Plus sizes too large for me. The SE, however, is excellent, and works perfectly for me (although does lack 3D touch, which looks cool).

Back to the camera, the combination of telephoto and normal lens seems like a really smart decision. Very impressed by that, and by the quality of photos they showed with it. The new, rotational zoom menu looked really good too, much better than pinch and zoom.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Pre-announcement, I'd decided I'd go Plus for my next phone because my 6 now just feels 'normal' sized, the Plus had better cameras on the previous versions (something they have obviously retained), and for the better battery life.

Post-announcement I was still thinking about going this way but I completely forgot today was pre-ordering day, and when I looked all Plus models were unavailable on launch day. This means I now either have to wait or do the launch day Apple store queue thing. I did it once and I vowed I never would again as it was horrific.

Anyone buy one ?
Went for the silver 7plus 256gb direct from Apple, will be here on Friday.

As above - meant to but forgot.

You clearly earn too much money. My 64gb has always been more than big enough so I'll be going for the mid-sized 128gb, probably in black (the matte one not the glossy one).

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I've ordered a matte black 7plus 128Gb but missed out on launch day delivery with an estimated delivery dat of 4th-10th October, all because of a broken down lorry on the way to work meant I was 5 minutes late.

Not too fussed about getting it on Launch day so am happy to look forward to delivery day in a few weeks.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
15002.jpg

I heard each phone came with a free book.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/09/iphone-7-listen-music-charge-adapter-headphones

Apple’s removal of the headphone socket on its latest iPhone 7 has had several knock-on effects, but one thing most people might not realise is that if you’re using wired headphones with it, you can’t charge it at the same time. Unless you buy a £35 adapter. Or a £49 dock.

The scrapping of the long-standing, universal 3.5mm phone connector, commonly known as the headphones jack, has already boosted sales of wireless headphones, which according to Apple is the way forward. It’s also upset a lot of people, whose often high-priced cabled headphones now need an adapter to plug into the Lightning socket of the iPhone 7, should they buy one.

But arguably the biggest problem for office workers around the country will be that the Lightning socket is the sole power source for charging the battery of the iPhone 7. It means for all those who sit at their desks, charge the phone and plug in their headphones to listen to music, Apple’s latest smartphone isn’t going to cut the mustard –you simply can’t do both.

At least, without buying an adapter that is. Apple’s only option for cable aficionados is the iPhone’s £49 Lightning dock, which has a Lightning socket and a 3.5mm headphone socket on the back, but is a bit impractical to carry around.

Accessory-maker Belkin to the rescue then, with it’s new £35 Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar – terrible name, likely an essential buy for many just to use the included headphones and charge. Great, another dongle to lose.

Of course, if you want to listen to your old 3.5mm “legacy” headphones, you’re going to need to use another adapter, which at least Apple ships in the box with the iPhone 7.

One adapter plugged into the phone, another adapter plugged into the original adapter and the headphones plugged into the second adapter that’s plugged into the adapter plugged into the iPhone 7. What could possibly go wrong?

Maybe it’s time to buy some Bluetooth headphones.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
My ears perked up when they said this scheme was launching here finally.

I assume the main target audience are those who take phones on contract from a mobile network.

I've not yet given thought as to if its a good deal for those who buy their handset outright. Thoughts?

I think it depends on what value you normally get when (I assume) you resell your phone. If you keep it in a good state and get a good chunk back then buying outright is probably better, as it's going to be cheaper. Also not going to work if you want to keep the phone at the end of the year and upgrade (giving phone to family etc...). If you can't afford to buy upfront or don't get a good return when reselling phone then it's a better deal. May work out cheaper than contract for those who don't buy outright as well.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
My ears perked up when they said this scheme was launching here finally.

I assume the main target audience are those who take phones on contract from a mobile network.

I've not yet given thought as to if its a good deal for those who buy their handset outright. Thoughts?

My iPhone 6s is with o2 and I have their o2 refresh option where I pay £30 a month for the 128gb phone and after 12 months I get a free upgrade to the iPhone 7. It seemed like a good option at the time as I didn't want to lay down £710 for a phone and as it's 0% interest free I thought why not.

o2 is rubbish where I live in the UK, I commute into Fenchurch Street station and I cannot get 4G data to work, on my train ride I'm lucky if I get about 10 minutes from 45 of connectivity. If this option was available last year I'd have got it, then got a sim only contract as they're usually better value. Seems a good option if you get a new phone each year.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Pre-announcement, I'd decided I'd go Plus for my next phone because my 6 now just feels 'normal' sized, the Plus had better cameras on the previous versions (something they have obviously retained), and for the better battery life.

Post-announcement I was still thinking about going this way but I completely forgot today was pre-ordering day, and when I looked all Plus models were unavailable on launch day. This means I now either have to wait or do the launch day Apple store queue thing. I did it once and I vowed I never would again as it was horrific.

As above - meant to but forgot.

You clearly earn too much money. My 64gb has always been more than big enough so I'll be going for the mid-sized 128gb, probably in black (the matte one not the glossy one).
To be honest, I get a massive chunk of the initial outlay back when I sell my current 6s plus, even Mazuma will give me £450 for it so I expect it to go for more than that on eBay.
I did quite fancy the jet black, but apples disclaimer saying the couldn't guarantee against marking the anodised metal over time put me off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/09/iphone-7-listen-music-charge-adapter-headphones

Apple’s removal of the headphone socket on its latest iPhone 7 has had several knock-on effects, but one thing most people might not realise is that if you’re using wired headphones with it, you can’t charge it at the same time. Unless you buy a £35 adapter. Or a £49 dock.

The scrapping of the long-standing, universal 3.5mm phone connector, commonly known as the headphones jack, has already boosted sales of wireless headphones, which according to Apple is the way forward. It’s also upset a lot of people, whose often high-priced cabled headphones now need an adapter to plug into the Lightning socket of the iPhone 7, should they buy one.

But arguably the biggest problem for office workers around the country will be that the Lightning socket is the sole power source for charging the battery of the iPhone 7. It means for all those who sit at their desks, charge the phone and plug in their headphones to listen to music, Apple’s latest smartphone isn’t going to cut the mustard –you simply can’t do both.

At least, without buying an adapter that is. Apple’s only option for cable aficionados is the iPhone’s £49 Lightning dock, which has a Lightning socket and a 3.5mm headphone socket on the back, but is a bit impractical to carry around.

Accessory-maker Belkin to the rescue then, with it’s new £35 Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar – terrible name, likely an essential buy for many just to use the included headphones and charge. Great, another dongle to lose.

Of course, if you want to listen to your old 3.5mm “legacy” headphones, you’re going to need to use another adapter, which at least Apple ships in the box with the iPhone 7.

One adapter plugged into the phone, another adapter plugged into the original adapter and the headphones plugged into the second adapter that’s plugged into the adapter plugged into the iPhone 7. What could possibly go wrong?

Maybe it’s time to buy some Bluetooth headphones.

seems an awful lot of hassle for a problem that didnt exist, no one bar Apple engineers cared about the 3.5mm socket, its stayed the course because it works very well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Didn't pre-order, sounded like queueing up may be fruitless for the Plus so I'm new-phone-less.

Who did get one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here