Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays side V 04/05 Side

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Was curious so thought I'd take a look at todays side compared with one from a similar time on 04/05 - Given that 04/05 was the last decent season and things have gone downhill from there.

19th of Feb 05 - BHAFC 2 - Sunderland 1
Line up of
Shabaan
Reid
Hinch
Butters
Harding
Hart
Nicolas
Carpenter
Knight
Virgo
McCammon
Subs
Yelldell
Hammond
Cox
Watson
Jones

20th of Feb 08 BHAFC 2 - Cheltenham 1.
Kuipers
Whing
Butters
Elphick
Richards
Bowditch
Thomson
Mayo
Cox
Murray
Forster
Subs
Lynch
Fraser
Robinson
Martot
Hart

Am I alone in thinking that the side we have now is better than the one we had back in 04/05? This at leasts makes me positive for the rest of the season, and if the side is given time to gel we may well have a decent go at pushing ourselves up the table. I know its a pretty pointless thread but at least it might distract us from the Wilkins bashing for 2 or 3 minutes.

Last edited:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Strangely enough we are stronger in certain areas today than we were in 2004-05. Perhaps the difference is down to the manager after all!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Clearly not better otherwise be would we winning a lot more. And it's bollocks how people are claiming McGhee was a mircale worker...if he was, then why did he get us relegated?

It's all down to the players. At the end of the day, we stayed up that season by the skin of our teeth. The next season we had a similar squad I seem to recall but we got relegated.

And besides, NSC as a whole has managed to slag off and criticise more than half this squad in the last month. I dread to think what it was like back in 2005 when the squad was apparently WORSE than it is now.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
so what are you basing the current squad as being better on? - potentially the current squad will become better, but the team of 04-05 had far more experience, it had players who had already gelled and had played together for a while, and it hadn't had the soul ripped out of it as happened under Maghee, Wilkins took over a team that had lost it's togetherness, the working for each other and the willingness to give 100% in a game - something Wilkins has had to work hard to rebuild.
For some to use this as a comparison to attack Wilkins is unfair and unjust.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
There appeared to be a lot going on behind the scenes under McGhee, a lot of discontent amoungst players, mainly about tactics and team selections, CKR for instance wondering why the top scorer, wouldn't even make the bench a game after scoring, several players publically criticising the Manager, and looking to leave. - Hardly an environment to bond the team and to get them to play well together, and for the manager / club. - I was saying Wilkins has had to try top bring the harmony back to the team when he took over and to try to rebuild after the club losing some players. - I may be wrong but it was an impreesion i got at the time.

I think the current squad with the likes of Elphick, Fraser, Lynch, Cox and Robinson amoung others, have massive potential, and they will grow and develop into even better players for this club, and giving time, this team will become a very good team.

The team of 04-05 had some history behind it in terms of promotion to the championship, and the confidence it this can give players, Wilkins had to try to lift the players spirits rebuilding confidence etc following relegation and McGhees sacking, and this hasnt been helped by the sniping on this site towards him or any other player, or the coaching staff, or the board, all of which i believe do a brilliant job, especially with the background problems of building a new ground.

i am not slating either team or there efforts but i think its not on for this to be used potentially by some to say that Wilkins isn't doing a good job or calling for his sacking.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
While I believe that McGhee did an excellent job at keeping us up with a weak team, how can you think the team today is better than 04-05. Knight and Virgo as they were then would rape this division and Shabaan was class, just not match fit. The fact that Hammond and Cox couldn't get in the side speaks volumes. Hinsh , Reid and Carpenter were real CLASS then, Harding was OK. OK McCammon and Nicholas were cack.....

2004-05 2
2007-08 1

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
While I believe that McGhee did an excellent job at keeping us up with a weak team, how can you think the team today is better than 04-05. Knight and Virgo as they were then would rape this division and Shabaan was class, just not match fit. The fact that Hammond and Cox couldn't get in the side speaks volumes. Hinsh , Reid and Carpenter were real CLASS then, Harding was OK. OK McCammon and Nicholas were cack.....

2004-05 2
2007-08 1

The 17 year old Cox?!?!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
i am not slating either team or there efforts but i think its not on for this to be used potentially by some to say that Wilkins isn't doing a good job or calling for his sacking.

Dont get me wrong, I wasn't doing it too call for Wilkins sacking ect. I was encouraged by how good our side currently is to be honest, just needs a bit of time to gel.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Yes, lets not look at all the other changes since that time, it is all about the manager.

f***ing retards.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
04 05 team is much better

Yeh i think it is too...

Where's all this sudden McGhee support come from? We did OK that season despite a typical McGhee slump towards end of season... You may now have probs with Wilkins but for f*** sake don't go singing McGhee's praises - he was shit towards the end of his time and just cos he happens to be doing well in shit scotland dont go praising him and saying how he was a betyter manager than Wilkins FFS!:shootself

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Dont get me wrong, I wasn't doing it too call for Wilkins sacking ect. I was encouraged by how good our side currently is to be honest, just needs a bit of time to gel.

Do you really think that team's better than our 04 - 05 team that stayed up?!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
but for f*** sake don't go singing McGhee's praises - he was shit towards the end of his time and just cos he happens to be doing well in shit scotland dont go praising him

Don't think anyone is denying that...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It just baffles me the ammount of FOLLOWERS on this board who jump ship and get on their high horse. Many completely contradicting themselves from previous posts - ie when McGhee was sacked...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here