Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today I quit smoking for good

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I have finally quit once and for all. After having two failed attempts this year, and before this managing to quit for a whole year, today I finally emptied my Amber Leaf in to the bin.

I have not been feeling good health wise, regardless of the amount of cycling I do. I believe I have type 1 Diabetes so I am going to the doctors this week.

With all this going on smoking is not making me feel any better, so I finally pushed the switch in my brain to quit for once and for all. We all need this trigger.

If I can get over today and tommorow morning I'm on my way to be a non smoker again. I know for a fact tommorow morning, I may feel groggy but give it a week or two I will feel a whole lot better.

As much as I enjoyed smoking I was also getting fed up with stained fingers, stinking clothes, and worrying what this was doing too my body on top of getting in to the situation where I could not go out for long periods of time without my Amber Leaf.

I am however not going to be one of these non-smokers that moan about smokers. This is their choice. However 15 years of smoking for me is too long. I dont want to get in to 50's because this is where your problems start. Since I am only 32 I have a very good chance of getting rid of the smoke from me.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I have finally quit once and for all. After having two failed attempts this year, and before this managing to quit for a whole year, today I finally emptied my Amber Leaf in to the bin.

I have not been feeling good health wise, regardless of the amount of cycling I do. I believe I have type 1 Diabetes so I am going to the doctors this week.

With all this going on smoking is not making me feel any better, so I finally pushed the switch in my brain to quit for once and for all. We all need this trigger.

If I can get over today and tommorow morning I'm on my way to be a non smoker again. I know for a fact tommorow morning, I may feel groggy but give it a week or two I feel a lot better.

As much as I enjoyed smoking I was also getting fed up with stained fingers, stinking clothes, and worrying what this was doing too my body on top of getting in to the situation where I could not go out for long periods of time without my Amber Leaf.

I am however not going to be one of these non-smokers that moan about smokers. This is their choice. However 15 years of smoking for me is too long. I dont want to get in to 50's because this is where your problems start. Since I am only 32 I have a very good chance of getting rid of the smoke from me.

Ok ok don`t get ratty.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost

If I can get over today and tommorow morning I'm on my way to be a non smoker again. I know for a fact tommorow morning, I may feel groggy but give it a week or two I will feel a whole lot better.

I quit 2 years ago after smoking for 15 years, I'm 36. It's bloody hard and I still have 'urges for a fag', cue pun :rolleyes: but if you have family, think of not seeing them again in a few years and you realise what's important in life. Good luck :thumbsup:

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
When I quit for that year, I got urges but I found out they dissapeared after a few seconds and I carried on.

Then I went on holiday and had a cigar. Then 2 days later had another cigar. Then I was having one cigar a day. Then it was 3 a day, then I bought some Amber Leaf and started smoking again.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
good luck mate. im into my fourth day of giving up and was really wanting a ciggy when i woke up this morn but had my wheatabix and i think i'm ok now but i know when i go down the pub this eve and see the mates ive been smoking with for a couple of years i'll be tempted to go outside for one

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Slightly off topic, but how much do you need to someke before becoming addicted?

I'd guess that in my life I've probably smoked somewhere in the region of 40 packets (of 20). Some of which were in quick sucession, eg 10 packets in 2 weeks.
The reason I smoked quite so many was that I'd bought them on holiday to flog but just polished them off myself. I found them quite morish, but as soon as they were gone, they were gone, I didn't buy any more.

Do I have some sort of high tolerance or is that normal?

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood

If you think that you have type I diabetes then you should see a doctor RIGHT NOW as you are at a high risk of hyperglycaemic coma followed by kidney/liver damage and death if left untreated. At your age type II would be much more likely but you would still need treatment immediately to address elevated glucose levels. You can go into Boots or Sainsburys and buy a blood test kite, eg Accucheck, for about £10 if they don't do free screening. If your blood glucose is around 5.2 - 5.8 mmol/l a couple of hours after eating you are probably OK. If it is > 7 then you may have diabetes. If it is < 4.8 then thyroid is more likely.

Good luck with quiting the fags, but having diabetes would be a much more significant and immedeate problem. Get checked out NOW.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I gave up over 3 years ago - yeah it's hard, but I didn't use patches/gum etc, just will power.

I just thought do I really want to:

Cut my life short - life's too short anyway to purposefully try and shorten it.
Waste money - put the money you would have spent away - and then traet yourself to something afetra few months.
Smell like an Asy tray
Be out of breath after walking up two flights of stairs
Inflict a pretty disgusting habit on my family (although I never smoked in the house anyway)

The only time I wanted a fag when I first gave up was when I went in a pub - for you lot giving up now, that temptation has gone.

Since I gave up I have taken up running - cos yeah you do tend to put weight on - but feel so fit compared to a few years ago.

Good Luck - it ain't easy, but it's worth it.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
If you cannot give up completley try cutting down. I was smoking 5 or so Cafe Creme mini cigars every day....out of habit. You buy them, you smoke them.

I've had only 4 cigars in the last 6 or 7 weeks simply because i make a point of not buying them.

Birdy

Dec 4, 2003
Hove
I gave up on Sunday 1st July. Not really anything to do with the ban as I would quite happily sit outside the pub for a cig, but my husband hated it & I felt it was about time to try to quit again.

Really suffering though & I'm on the patches. I find it OK as far as the cravings go (obviously the patches are dealing with the nicotine addiction), but I've been really depressed over the last week & crying at the most stupid things. Really unlike me & my poor hubby is really getting the brunt of it. Resorted to buying a pack of cigars mid-week & have had one every evening since...not quite the success rate I was hoping for, but at least I'm too embarrassed to smoke them in public!

Have been to the pub a few times since D-Day & just envy the smokers sitting in the sunshine with a beer. Have to sit inside just to stop the temptation. Maybe it'll be easier when it's raining & cold....

Best of luck with your attempt!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here