To win Premier League, Chelsea or Man United?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
With any luck the millionaires from London will prevent the scum from taking the title for a FOURTH consecutive year.

Anyone who WANTS to see that outcome is an idiot

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Chelsea got liverpool, if thats a draw or liverpool win, then united will win it.
If not then chelsea.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
dont especially like either team but as i used to support united i hate chelsea more than united, so id like to see united win i guess

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I hate United more than Chelsea therefore I want Chelsea to win it

Although TBH I couldn't really care less

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really is exciting stuff with quite literally any of the two teams who have won it in the past 5 years having a chance to win it again.

:yawn:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It really is exciting stuff with quite literally any of the two teams who have won it in the past 5 years having a chance to win it again.

:yawn:

You say that but 2 weeks ago it was going to be one of the three teams who have won it for the last 14 years. What a league!

Saying that Brazil often win the World cup and I quite like that, Also the Spanish league and Scottish leagues are always won by the same 2 teams.
Lyon have won the French league for the last 4 or so years. Inter the Italian league for about 4 years.

It makes sence in a business setting for the successful ones to get better and the others to lag further behind. So i can cope with Man United winning the League due to their success over the years, whereas Chelsea have an owner who pays for everything and wipes out their debt. Not very good business model and for that I don't want them to win, same with Man City i don't want to see them finish fourth

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You say that but 2 weeks ago it was going to be one of the three teams who have won it for the last 14 years. What a league!

Saying that Brazil often win the World cup and I quite like that, Also the Spanish league and Scottish leagues are always won by the same 2 teams.
Lyon have won the French league for the last 4 or so years. Inter the Italian league for about 4 years.

Lyon didn't win last year, and they're not gonna win it this year.
Four spanish teams have won la liga in the last ten years

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Man Utd, the Chelsea pensioners will be found out

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Lyon didn't win last year, and they're not gonna win it this year.
Four spanish teams have won la liga in the last ten years

The gap at the top (between 6 or 7 sides) is getting smaller. In that sense there should be more and more teams competing for the title in future years, starting with Manchester City and perhaps whoever makes the top 4 this year (Villa, Spurs?)

Compare that with La Liga's..

1 Barcelona 34 27 6 1 83 20 87
2 Real Madrid 34 28 2 4 89 30 86
3 Valencia 34 18 8 8 53 37 62

Now it may only be a two horse race with three games to go with the premier league, but there is no way the divide is half as big as what you're seeing in Spain.
Spain - 25 points between 1st and 3rd.
England - 23 points between 1st and 8th..

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Idoit here, would love to see United win it, a class act, with stunning consistency. Chelsea look like favourites, but I just hope they blow it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another idiot here.

I can't see Chelski throwing it away now though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Chelsea beat Stoke 7-0 against the meanest away defence in the Premier before the game. Wigan at Stamford Bridge on the last day have the worst away defence. It could be 0-0.

Unfortunately odds on bets Chelsea for the Premier and Leeds to get auto promoted, Tranmere relegated must be all odds on for a treble.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The gap at the top (between 6 or 7 sides) is getting smaller. In that sense there should be more and more teams competing for the title in future years, starting with Manchester City and perhaps whoever makes the top 4 this year (Villa, Spurs?)

Compare that with La Liga's..

1 Barcelona 34 27 6 1 83 20 87
2 Real Madrid 34 28 2 4 89 30 86
3 Valencia 34 18 8 8 53 37 62

Now it may only be a two horse race with three games to go with the premier league, but there is no way the divide is half as big as what you're seeing in Spain.
Spain - 25 points between 1st and 3rd.
England - 23 points between 1st and 8th..

It's not getting smaller. People spout that same line every year. They did it when Everton finished fourth. They did it when Spurs nearly finished fourth. They did it this year when Man City were taken over. It will be the same teams competing at the top all the time Chelsea and Man United are run as they are (i.e. having money to strengthen a squad that is already far more complete than the teams below them). The only way anyone will get near them is if they 'do a Man City' and even then they will struggle to win it as Man City have demonstrated this year. And is that really a good thing? Having to spend hundreds of millions on players before you even have a remote chance of winning the league?

As you point out the problem is just as big in Spain - which is why comparing our league to theirs is a bit of a moot point - we should be aiming to better them comfortably. But even they have a better track record of having a more competitive top-flight than us. Your 25 points stat is irrelevant really isn't it? No-one from 3rd-8th is going to challenge for the title. Their battle for fourth place is tight as well, so it's not as though they have that over our league.

If you're going to make a comparison to a foreign league that we should be aiming to be like then compare it to the Bundesliga. They may only have 2 teams left competing for the title but every season for the last few years they have had different teams battling for top-spot and different teams winning the title. As an example of how competitive and open to swings it is, look at Wolfsburg - last years winners, this year they've spent most of their season around mid-table. Look at Schalke - eighth last year, gunning for the championship this year. That would never happen here and hasn't done for a very long time. We have a lot of work to do before we get a competitive league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports