Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

To the Gobsh*te woman slagging off the early leavers

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I haven't had a good moan on here for a while. This is a good opportunity.

People leaving early really really piss me off. Add to that arriving late (can sometimes be excused), leaving their seat before the h/t whistle, and arriving back after the second half has kicked-off.

The game of football lasts 90 minutes plus say 5 minutes added time on average. Then there's 15 minutes half time. So that's 23 home games a season plus say two home cup games = 25 games:
- 25 x 95 minutes = approximately 34 hours a year
- add half time (around 6hrs) and the total becomes 40 hours a year, or 0.45% of your time each year to be doing something you presumably love doing - otherwise why pay to go to the game.

In the scheme of things that is not a lot of time to give up, SO DON'T LEAVE EARLY.

As for people leaving at 40mins to get to the concourse to buy beer and stuff their faces ... UNBELIEVABLE.

Do without a beer for a little less than two hours. It will in fact be good for you. You honestly don't need beer before the game, at half time, and after the game. Your liver will not be thanking you.

This rant is not going to change anyone's behaviour, but, boy, it feels good to have a good moan.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I haven't had a good moan on here for a while. This is a good opportunity.

People leaving early really really piss me off. Add to that arriving late (can sometimes be excused), leaving their seat before the h/t whistle, and arriving back after the second half has kicked-off.

The game of football lasts 90 minutes plus say 5 minutes added time on average. Then there's 15 minutes half time. So that's 23 home games a season plus say two home cup games = 25 games:
- 25 x 95 minutes = approximately 34 hours a year
- add half time (around 6hrs) and the total becomes 40 hours a year, or 0.45% of your time each year to be doing something you presumably love doing - otherwise why pay to go to the game.

In the scheme of things that is not a lot of time to give up, SO DON'T LEAVE EARLY.

As for people leaving at 40mins to get to the concourse to buy beer and stuff their faces ... UNBELIEVABLE.

Do without a beer for a little less than two hours. It will in fact be good for you. You honestly don't need beer before the game, at half time, and after the game. Your liver will not be thanking you.

This rant is not going to change anyone's behaviour, but, boy, it feels good to have a good moan.

Seriously, who cares? The bloke next to me always goes for a half-time beer on 40 mins and leaves on about 89. All the old fellas behind me leave on about 85 minutes. And others in my row, behind me, around me, leave early or might nip to the bar before the first half is over. Does any of this bother me? Not in the slightest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This ^^^^
An early leaver yesterday was edging down the row in front of me just as there was a bit of goalmouth action ( I'm in the south end of the east lower ) , and decided it was perfectly acceptable to stand in front of me and my boys and block our view, to be fair he was apologetic when I pointed out his mistake, but still........

There are two types of early leaver. The ones who just go and leave as quickly as possible, often in a break in play. I have no issue with them at all. However, at the Reading game there was a group of middle aged, middle class looking adults in about row C of the West Lower towards the North end. They stood up on 85 minutes as the game was in full flow and we were attacking. and kissed each other on the cheeks stood up in their seats before wandering off towards the exit at a leisurely pace. They blocked the view for every one behind them for a good minute.

Why do I mention their class (assumed I will admit) and seat location? Because they would never do such a thing at the theatre or a concert and I simply can't believe they've never been to those. And because last season people were being ejected for standing in the North which this, effectively was.

I have no issue with early leavers but do it considerately!!

As for the woman mentioned in the OP, was this in the top of the WSU by any means? If so she's done it before (she sits quite near me) but she also does give it 100% during the game. Just somebody who's passionate and lost it a bit in the moment, similar to me with referees!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Imagine the mayhem if everyone got up and made for the exits together.

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Everyone enjoys a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening differently. For some, it's about the whole day, seeing the team arrive and stadium fill up and seeing every fan leave and slowly wander back, for others it's about being at the pub with ur mates and seeing the game but rushing off to get the next beer and ensure you're first at the bar....each to their own.

For some also it's about being able to go to the football but having to rush back in order to be ready for work or family commitments.

I often work overnight on a Friday or Saturday night and if missing the first ten minutes or last few minutes if the result was looking certain made a big difference in getting more sleep, then I would do that, I certainly wouldn't think...."I could do but what if the people around me whom I don't know don't like me leaving on 82 minutes??"

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Live and let live, who is anyone to tell someone else what to do IF they aren't hugely interfering with them?

My two young Sons and I leave early to avoid the stampede and to get us back to Arundel at a reasonable time; it's our choice. We leave during a break in play and several other times during the match as they are young and need to pee!

I don't like swearing in front of my children so selected a seat in the East Stand, the Respect Stand, but have to accept a little around us due to people's passion. I've had conversations with some of the frequent offenders and that does the job for a few games, but I have to accept they'll be the occasional slip up * (Have you seen the standard of refereeing)

We all need to just accept we're all different and go to football for different reasons, so long as we all enjoy it and other people's actions don't cause serious concern then we should ignore it. This thinking excludes plastic clappers, drums and horns, of course. Not to mention goal celebration music!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Everyone enjoys a Saturday afternoon or Tuesday evening differently. For some, it's about the whole day, seeing the team arrive and stadium fill up and seeing every fan leave and slowly wander back, for others it's about being at the pub with ur mates and seeing the game but rushing off to get the next beer and ensure you're first at the bar....each to their own.

For some also it's about being able to go to the football but having to rush back in order to be ready for work or family commitments.

I often work overnight on a Friday or Saturday night and if missing the first ten minutes or last few minutes if the result was looking certain made a big difference in getting more sleep, then I would do that, I certainly wouldn't think...."I could do but what if the people around me whom I don't know don't like me leaving on 82 minutes??"

Two things.

NO ONE Who leaves the Amex on 85 minutes does so to be the first at the bar. Not one.

Secondly, you yourself qualify 'when the result is beyond doubt' which is significantly different to when we are chasing a game or hanging on and the same :tosser: s still leave in their thousands.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
My two young Sons and I leave early to avoid the stampede and to get us back to Arundel at a reasonable time; it's our choice. We leave during a break in play and several other times during the match as they are young and need to pee!

1) There is no 'stampede'.

2) Arundel isn't very far away.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Two things.

NO ONE Who leaves the Amex on 85 minutes does so to be the first at the bar. Not one.

Secondly, you yourself qualify 'when the result is beyond doubt' which is significantly different to when we are chasing a game or hanging on and the same :tosser: s still leave in their thousands.
You've got to be on a wind up , you don't even go !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

The definition of a stampede changes when you're only seven years old!

I didn't say Arundel was far away I said "reasonable time", why I need to be there at a reasonable time has nothing to do with the distance travelled it's just the balance between evening commitments and the match ending, that's all. The fact that I choose to pay for my season ticket, as I did for ten years at Withdean, and only see 85 mins of the match is my choice, isn't it?

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
For those of old enough to remember the last time we used to have 20K plus crowds leaving early was part of the natural variation.

I never would myself but can't get too excited about anyone who does - providing they don't block my view.

The matchday experience is different for everyone and since they have paid for their seats they are entitled to leave when the heck they want.

Take personal pride if you are the most loyal supporter in the world ever, but let's also encourage every part-time, JCL and new fan to come along too.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

You forgot
3 the psychological damage it does to the posters on here, who can not cope with the fact people leave early. The damage it does to their life's, they just can not cope with the fact that they can not control other people's life's. If you feel the need to control what other people do, then that's the time you need to get professional help.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If the early leavers actually hung around for half an hour post-final whistle, went in the club shop sale, or watched the results on the concourse, had a Bovril etc. they'd find most of the train queues much reduced. So much more relaxing way to watch the Albion than their match day experience must be, especially when you've got 6 minutes injury time to miss as well.

Or if everyone decided to do the same thing, the queues would be a f***king nightmare.

That's the irony here, different people deciding to do things at different times is helpful to the overall transport situation. We should be applauding them out, if they are prepared to selflessly miss 10 minutes of the game so the congestion is better when I get out, who am I to stop them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here