Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To the clown who delayed the train at home at Gatwick last night...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Bring back club chartered trains direct to / from Wembley Stadium station

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Much earlier and the clash with the marathon would have been a problem……..by making it 4.30 the numbers going into/out of London were spread out much more than they might have been.
Maybe, but I'd have appreciated not having to rush away. I know someone who legged it after the game and got on trains with almost empty carriages.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
That was actually the quickest way to and from Wembley to Victoria. Jubilee has too many stops for the first part of the journey so Metropolitan to Baker Street, Jubilee to Green Park and then Victoria line to Victoria was the best way back.

Got to the station for about 20:10 using that route.
Exactly the route I took and as you say far less stops. Managed to actually get a seat on the 8.46 back to Eastbourne and in the door about 10.45.

As people have stated 1 train an hour was ridiculous

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Maybe, but I'd have appreciated not having to rush away. I know someone who legged it after the game and got on trains with almost empty carriages.
This is what I did. I was in a pub in Marylebone about 30mins after Solly's chip shot.

People on the atmosphere thread are wondering why some didn't stay to clap the players off, this thread is why!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Much earlier and the clash with the marathon would have been a problem……..by making it 4.30 the numbers going into/out of London were spread out much more than they might have been.
Spot on and, of course, there were some Brighton fans running the marathon who'd been training for it for months or years but still wanted to see the game.

There are some obvious solutions though, some of which could happen, and some of which won't ever, despite being better.

1) The most obvious - do not have the Semi on the same weekend as the marathon (could happen easily enough). I'm not sure if it was only clashing this season because of the World Cup and therefore final being in June? Seems daft to always clash.
2) Won't happen because of the ongoing Wembley funding but move Semi Finals back to other neutral grounds with the aim to use the biggest ground equidistant between the two participants.
3) Allow 3pm Saturday for one of them. The ban on showing games then is ridiculous. Everyone's streaming these days. Fix the other one for 2pm Sunday (see 1 above) and ensure there are no London Premier League games that day.
4) If European schedule allows play on subsequent Saturdays (will never happen, we may be out of the EU but Europe still dictates our domestic football schedule).

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Exactly the route I took and as you say far less stops. Managed to actually get a seat on the 8.46 back to Eastbourne and in the door about 10.45.

1 Train an hour to Eastbourne on a day like that is silly, but that is the standard base service level on a sunday. Extras services cannot be magicked out of nowhere with a certain amount of drivers and stock available on a Sunday. There were 4 trains an hour down to Brighton from Southern, and 2 an hour from Thameslink, most of the Thameslink ones were half empty.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
1 Train an hour to Eastbourne on a day like that is silly, but that is the standard base service level on a sunday. Extras services cannot be magicked out of nowhere with a certain amount of drivers and stock available on a Sunday. There were 4 trains an hour down to Brighton from Southern, and 2 an hour from Thameslink, most of the Thameslink ones were half empty.
Yep, obviously going to Eastbourne you had to go from Vic but LB was surely better for intermediate Brighton Main Line stations and Brighton itself. Would have allowed the Coastway East folk to have a far less crowded train. We couldn't be arsed to change at Green Park and stayed on to London Bridge where we got a seat on an air conditioned train, despite it being due to leave about two minutes after we sweatily and breathlessly got on it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Getting home was quite easy I found, we drove to Sevenoaks so fast trains every 15 minutes or so. Left once the players had gone in, stopped once down wembley way once in station got on an almost empty Jubliee tube to London Bridge. Home just before 10pm.

Although we were in lower tier and exited right next to the ramp down to wembley way, our neighbours who were up top in the family stand were half an hour behind us getting home.

Getting there however wasn't so easy as every Jubilee train was packed when they came into London Bridge, so in the end we just got the Northern to Moorgate and then the Met to Wembley

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yep, obviously going to Eastbourne you had to go from Vic but LB was surely better for intermediate Brighton Main Line stations and Brighton itself. Would have allowed the Coastway East folk to have a far less crowded train. We couldn't be arsed to change at Green Park and stayed on to London Bridge where we got a seat on an air conditioned train, despite it being due to leave about two minutes after we sweatily and breathlessly got on it.
Its a one off event at the end of the day, there is going to be a large egress at once, if you buy a load of extra trains and drivers just to cater for that one event then you'll have a huge surplus. Every year there are complaints about the Pride service, but there is only one day a year where 300,000 odd people descend on Brighton. No railways system, German, Japanese, even SWISS, would be able to deal with that except maybe the Mecca Metro.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Its a one off event at the end of the day, there is going to be a large egress at once, if you buy a load of extra trains and drivers just to cater for that one event then you'll have a huge surplus. Every year there are complaints about the Pride service, but there is only one day a year where 300,000 odd people descend on Brighton. No railways system, German, Japanese, even SWISS, would be able to deal with that except maybe the Mecca Metro.
Oh I agree. Thinking about it though could the club and TOCs have put out a statement such as "Coastway East will only have one service per hour after the game. We strongly recommend that customers travelling to Brighton and intermediate trains use Thameslink trains from London Bridge wherever possible". Would have spread folk out a bit more?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Oh I agree. Thinking about it though could the club and TOCs have put out a statement such as "Coastway East will only have one service per hour after the game. We strongly recommend that customers travelling to Brighton and intermediate trains use Thameslink trains from London Bridge wherever possible". Would have spread folk out a bit more?
Judging by the fact the club still say every week that trains will not stop at Moulescoomb and London Road post game, I can't see them taking that on board.

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
Thameslink trains were packed though? I’d be surprised if any were half empty. The one I was on, people had to stand all the way back to Brighton. The tube back to London Bridge on Jubilee and Northern were both rammed too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thameslink trains were packed though? I’d be surprised if any were half empty. The one I was on, people had to stand all the way back to Brighton. The tube back to London Bridge on Jubilee and Northern were both rammed too.
Mine wasn't rammed, yours was, I suspect ones between it would have got gradually busier. We left as soon as their kick went in - prior experience of Wembley told me what would be waiting if we hadn't.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
After years of commuting I learned to be more creative - obvious Vic would be more rammed as it's near the marathon finish and that London Bridge would be quieter, particularly late in the day............for Eastbourne etc simply jump on at LB to any large station south (as far as HH or WVF anyway) and change. Golden rule when everything is manic or there are issues, just get moving South !

Getting home was quite easy I found, we drove to Sevenoaks so fast trains every 15 minutes or so. Left once the players had gone in, stopped once down wembley way once in station got on an almost empty Jubliee tube to London Bridge. Home just before 10pm.

Although we were in lower tier and exited right next to the ramp down to wembley way, our neighbours who were up top in the family stand were half an hour behind us getting home.

Getting there however wasn't so easy as every Jubilee train was packed when they came into London Bridge, so in the end we just got the Northern to Moorgate and then the Met to Wembley
The Jubilee at London Bridge was already full of marathon supporters crossing over to Westminster to see the finish. Second half of the tube journey was half empty.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Our group did the same on the way there too.

Train to Victoria, in the pub and then the reverse of the route I said back, in The Green Man for a few massively overpriced beers and then to Wembley. Travel wasn't too bad in all honesty, only problem was having to run for the train home after getting some food as it was the only direct service to Chichester for a couple hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here