Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To see how [Brighton] progress again and jump to another level, is fantastic.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Danny Gabbidon looking at how the fortunes of Albion and Cardiff have diverged in just a few years...

"I was at Brighton on the weekend and to see where they've come from is incredible. The work (CEO and deputy chairman) Paul Barber and (owner and chairman) Tony Bloom have done there to get them to where they are now. I remember playing them in division three when I was with Cardiff City, when they were at the Withdean Stadium, an awful place to go! But you see that long-term plan.​
"I was listening to a podcast Paul Barber did. I think he came in in 2012 and he got rid of Gus Poyet, who was the manager, and I was at Palace at the time and beat them in the play-off final. They didn't get promoted that season.​
"They made a change, brought Chris Hughton in and said 'This is how we are going to get to the Premier League and this is what we do when we are there'. Even before they achieved promotion they had a plan about how to stay in the Premier League as well.​
"Since then they have built a new stadium, the training ground is fantastic, they have got ex-players within the football club as well. To see how they have progressed over the last three or four years, staying in the Premier League and now looking how they progress again and jump to another level, is fantastic.​
"It's all from long-term planning, having the right people in the football club making the right decisions. Even to the point where he was saying that he knew he was going to lose some of their staff after having a little bit of success., but they have already got the next one in place. Even when they've got Graham Potter, they are scouting around at other managers, seeing who is good and who isn't.​
"They had (former technical director) Dan Ashworth, who has just moved to Newcastle United. They already had a plan in place. For every role they have in the club, they have a deputy underneath, so if that person goes, the deputy gets trained and they have the option of promoting them or bringing someone in from the outside. It was fascinating and you can understand why they have done so well over the last few years.​
"I just thought, the contrast between the two teams who started out in division three at the same time is incredible."​

Full piece:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We all like a joke now and again with Barber bottle tops etc isn’t all light hearted?
Nah, there's quite a lot of vitriol from kids who can't go to away matches (because they don't have enough points).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here