Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To bother Paul Barber at the cinema or not last night.....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well I sort of agree with the OP. It wasn't pants, it was artistically watchable but it wasn't great movie, IMO of course. I don't think it deserves the rave reviews it's getting, I got the feeling the whole way through it was a set of cliched vignettes strung together.

An actor bloke I play football with, who just turned down a role as one of The Penguin's main sidekicks in the new batman film, said of 1917 that the plaudits are right for the cinematography, but how it's told is of regular Joe's written by a set of Cambridge snoots, so that character construction and dialogue felt a bit off and disconnected. I sort of go along with that. Stunning to look at for the most part, but how it's strung together seeming a bit boyish.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Adults that pester footballers and Albion staff when they are ‘off duty’ do my canister in.

Saw Dan Burn in Monkey Business with his kids a month or two back and there were even people sniffing round him then.

The absolute worst are blokes in their forties or fifties stopping Albion players young enough to be their kids for selfies they then upload to BHA related Facebook pages. ‘Just bumped into Geatan Bong in Aldi!’ Literally shoot me now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am normally in the ‘leave them alone, they are off duty’ camp. But not PB. I do not dislike the man, I think he does many good thing, but he also lectures from on high without risk of being challenged. He needs to be made aware of grass roots feeling, not neo liberal new fans preferences that sit all too easily with his modern football approach.

I don't think you understand the word "neoliberal".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The correct answer was to whip out your phone and send him an email.

You’d have had a response long before you took your seats to watch the film.

And a response more lengthy and epic than the film itself.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
These are good posts.........

Afteer reading this thread, I guess he'll being going out from now on in disguise.
Just look out for a bloke thats dressed up like Mr Potato..........
CRXpjeiUEAAE8xR.jpg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Stood next to Barber and his wife and I think father-in-law at the queue at the Marina to watch '1917' last night.....(don't bother watching the film if you are thinking about it, it's pants)

Do I ask him about signings? Or leave him alone as he's off duty? In the end thought, "Nah, not the right place, he's off duty."

Am I the only one here who thinks that, or do you lot think he's fair game at anytime to talk Albion matters?

P.S. Paul if you are reading this, dress your age...….you are not 30 anymore :wink:

You made the correct decision.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Definitely shouldn’t bother him when out enjoying time off.
I was disappointed with 1917 though. It was cleverly filmed but I found it preposterous in many places. A bit too ‘Indiana Jones does WW1’ and it didn’t make me feel in a way that Savjng Private Ryan did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Stood next to Barber and his wife and I think father-in-law at the queue at the Marina to watch '1917' last night.....(don't bother watching the film if you are thinking about it, it's pants)

Do I ask him about signings? Or leave him alone as he's off duty? In the end thought, "Nah, not the right place, he's off duty."

Am I the only one here who thinks that, or do you lot think he's fair game at anytime to talk Albion matters?

P.S. Paul if you are reading this, dress your age...….you are not 30 anymore :wink:

Did he take a bottled beverage in?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Did he take a bottled beverage in?

To add I’ve had a fair few celebs / politicians in the cab over the years. Some are as good as gold, others are not what you’d except (the persona vs real life)

Generally I don’t bring up I know who they are or stray into their profession unless they offer an in or we are talking about something topical.

I normally relax this rules for footballers who typically don’t shut up when you start them off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here