Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tip Tappy Football

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
First half we mixed it up a fair bit with a fair few longer/long balls. Then they went 2 up and we had no choice but to play tippy tappy football around the box really as there was simply no space to exploit what with them going 11 behind the ball pretty much. Sometimes there's more to it; they're top of the league with the best defence and attack for for a reason.

State of this board tonight. Anyone would think we're bottom of the league or an entitled fanbase expecting Europe

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Has served Barcelona, Man City ect very well over time. At times we beat there press really well today but we make poor decisions in the final 3rd and tbh there recovery today when we did was impressive. Strength power and athleticism all over. A lot of the lads we have playing are still developing into their own bodies. Sometimes you have to say we were beaten by a far better side that is at the start of its peak years

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Do you think we'll ever return to those halycon days of going to Spurs and Arsenal
and beating both in the space of two weeks?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
OP, you may have a point, but that isn't what cost us today.

Being crap in both boxes is what cost us today. In particular the quality of crossing was very very poor.

In the middle of the park it was a very tight contest

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Arsenal’s defence is exceptional…..that’s the main reason we didn’t score.
Sometimes we just have to accept that we were beaten by a much better team. Not even sure if any of our players would make their bench (Pedro, dunk, JP perhaps)
Arsenal controlled the 2nd half, allowed us to pass unthreateningly then caught us on the break.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Our passing was awful. Even the usually perfect Gross put one out over the side line…Tippy tappy’s only work when the tipper can get the ball to the tapper…which we seemed to struggle at today…

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Doesn’t get you points.
Time to change the approach.
Hold on, I thought we played route one?

My God, I always think I am fully aware at how utterly stupid so many football fans are, but then regularly someone else comes along and shows me that no, I am not aware at all. It’s much worse than I thought.

But come on, let’s hear it. The 2 years we’ve spent perfecting a certain style of play for hours and hours each week, and thousands and thousand of hours in total, that has taken us to beating Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Marseille, Ajax, Roma etc. You now think we should tear it up and try something else?

Has it ever occurred to you why you aren’t very successful in life?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
And is Brentford's also exceptional?

No but they decided to go 11 behind the ball too which makes it extremely hard to find the spaces- was similar on weds with so little space to exploit. We weren't intentionally playing tippy tappy imo - just forced to. To be fair to us brentford have also just drawn against united (after absolutely battering them) and villa, so they're clearly not pretty handy at the moment and tactically decided to play ultra-defensive v us which worked a treat in their quest for a point

I know football forums are partly for venting frustrations etc after a loss but it really feels like after one season in Europe finishing around mid-table is a disaster for some fans. Madness: who knew clubs of our size wouldn't be able to maintain top 6 finishes year-on-year

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No but they decided to go 11 behind the ball too which makes it extremely hard to find the spaces- was similar on weds with so little space to exploit. We weren't intentionally playing tippy tappy imo - just forced to. To be fair to us brentford have also just drawn against united (after absolutely battering them) and villa, so they're clearly not pretty handy at the moment and tactically decided to play ultra-defensive v us which worked a treat in their quest for a point

I know football forums are partly for venting frustrations etc after a loss but it really feels like after one season in Europe finishing around mid-table is a disaster for some fans. Madness: who knew clubs of our size wouldn't be able to maintain top 6 finishes year-on-year
Not disappointed with our season at all.

But the output from the attacking players has massively dropped off from the first half of the season. Partly this is overplaying, partly this is down to individual loss of form, partly it's bad luck with injuries, but partly it's because we've been worked out and RDZ hasn't managed to find an answer to the conundrum of playing against massed defences

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hold on, I thought we played route one?

My God, I always think I am fully aware at how utterly stupid so many football fans are, but then regularly someone else comes along and shows me that no, I am not aware at all. It’s much worse than I thought.

But come on, let’s hear it. The 2 years we’ve spent perfecting a certain style of play for hours and hours each week, and thousands and thousand of hours in total, that has taken us to beating Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Marseille, Ajax, Roma etc. You now think we should tear it up and try something else?

Has it ever occurred to you why you aren’t very successful in life?
You really are a bit of a snide **** aren't you

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You really are a bit of a snide **** aren't you
Yes.

(I was also a bit drunk, and probably overly harsh).

But come on, the post was f***ing ridiculous. Arsenal just completely battered us playing the type of football that the OP said ‘doesn’t get you points’.

My last (overly harsh) line was trying to make the point that in life you don’t just give up and completely change direction when something you have worked at for years wobbles a bit, so why would you in football?

The knee-jerk reaction on here to us daring to lose at home for the first time since August to the team at the top of the Premier League is absolutely embarrassing.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I feel like we haven’t been playing our normal tippy tappy football recently tbh, maybe that’s the problem.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We were beaten by one of the three teams that on almost every occasion are currently miles ahead of the rest of the league. As they should be compared to us, when you look at their turnover, transfer fees and salaries. It’s annoying but not exactly a drama.

I don’t think there’s much wrong with the style. We just haven’t got the players now to implement it as effectively. Some are injured, some look tired, some are good enough but still finding their rhythm after injury, some will be good enough but aren’t the finished article. That said, I think efforts have been made to tighten up defensively a bit which has probably harmed the goal output. Even so, in most games - though not yesterday when their defence was rock solid - we’ve created several chances without taking them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here