Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Timpson’s boss reveals another perk…..do you get any?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My elderly father was charged this last week for a CR2032 lithium replacement, these cost pennies. It took 2 minutes, his first and last visit....

I think they do have a policy of trying to upsell where possible. I went in last week and asked the guy if he could clean my watch. He said, "analogue?" so I said, "no - just my watch."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My elderly father was charged this last week for a CR2032 lithium replacement, these cost pennies. It took 2 minutes, his first and last visit....

If he's been charged £25 for lifetime battery replacement, refusing to return there when he next needs it replaced, seems rather cutting off his nose to spite his face!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Newhaven Locksmiths change watch batteries for £5.

That is a very good shop, I’ve been there for key cutting as it’s nearer home than Timpson.
I very rarely wear a watch because it would get damaged when I’m working, I’ve only got a cheap Casio that I put on at the weekend if I go out, it would be worth paying £5 for a battery there, I wouldn’t spend £25 though ( for a replacement battery in the Casio )

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I very rarely wear a watch because it would get damaged when I’m working, I’ve only got a cheap Rolex Daytona that I put on at the weekend if I go out

I've just run your post through NSC's 'Auto-correct software for posts by made by plumbers' and it amended it to the above ???

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
That is a very good shop, I’ve been there for key cutting as it’s nearer home than Timpson.
I very rarely wear a watch because it would get damaged when I’m working, I’ve only got a cheap Casio that I put on at the weekend if I go out, it would be worth paying £5 for a battery there, I wouldn’t spend £25 though ( for a replacement battery in the Casio )

You can buy a brand new Casio for a tenner...

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2533393

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Off topic (or perhaps back on topic...?) our most unusual employee benefit is a gold coin for every 5 years service. An actual gold coin.*

*not a tax dodge - all goes through payroll.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
My experiences with Timpsons have not been quite so positive as others on here,

Lyons Farm Worthing branch, needed a new front door key cut, guy had 4 attempts at it requiring me to go home and try each time, none of them worked. He gave up but said he wouldn't charge me for the ones he'd f**ked up!

West Hove Sainsburys branch, I asked if they could replace the battery in my cars remote key, "yes mate, no problem, come back in 25 mins". Came back, matey chucks the remote back at me "Sorry mate, couldn't get the small casing screw out, tried everything". So I'm now left looking at a nice shiny rounded screw head, Frosts couldn't remove the screw and wanted nearly £200 to supply a new remote and program it to my car!
I did a thread on this a few years back, Easy 10 sorted me out with a smashing old school shop in Boundary Road Hove, cost me £20

Lyons Farm Worthing again, needed a new battery in my watch, picked it up watch working fine, few days later wondered why it felt a bit uncomfortable on my wrist, found matey had managed to bend one of the metal links in the strap trying to get the back off the watch!

So Mr Timpson might be a very good and ethical employer but I'm afraid I won't be using them again.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

that a bloody big battery for a watch. We use them the kitchen scales ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Is it Timpsons down the Marina? I lost my car keys and asked how much they’d cost to replace, I was shocked to learn it was over £200, so I asked the guy to replace the battery in my wife’s one as that was due and had to keep us going initially. He wouldn’t accept payment for the battery (about a tenner) as he took pity on me.

The next day my keys turned up at The Brighton Centre lost property

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes my company give us perks. Easter egg, free christmas party, £10 xmas voucher, christmas hamper, company fun day at chessington for 4including laid on transport, hospitality tent with free hot and cold soft drinks £5 food voucher each, 10yr, 20yr 30yr and upwards service awards, wedding pressie free fruit fridays.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Before I retired we got the usual Easter and Christmas choccies and at the end of the financial year a 10% bonus based on your salary so a useful £7k or £8k once a year.

Ultimately the best bit was all bank holidays paid and after 10 years service 30 days paid holiday a year. Yes, I did often work 6 days a week but the holidays were a real bonus as was the final salary pension scheme which I'm very grateful for as I know many companies are doing away with these now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

They changed the locks on our doors, as the barrel went on the front door, and the back door lock was playing. Very prompt and reasonable.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I had a boss years ago that said if he wasn't in, I could use his private parking space. The thing is I used to park within 40 yds of it every day anyway.
Where was the perk in that?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, but then I am not paying £300 an hour for labour, even my car is main dealer serviced by experts for less than half that.

You wouldn't be. Labour charges maybe reasonably charged on the basis of £X per hour or part of an hour (same idea as a call out fee for a tradesman, even if the job takes two minutes) - so, a quid for the battery, that makes it £24 an hour. How much an hour would you get out of bed for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here