Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Timing

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
I thought pacey and attacking went hand in hand, but if you meant slow attacking players I will retract my “pacey insert”.

I will ask again though; What attacking players are you talking about?

Also you shouldn't need coaching to put the ball where its needed from free kicks and corners.

I don't think pacy and attacking go hand in hand in the context of the Albion. Leo certainly isn't pacy, in fact I would consider only CMS and Rodriguez to have true pace as a prominent attribute.

Anyway, I was referring to OGs over use of players like Lua Lua, March, and CMS as reactive changes. And the non-utilisation of Hoskins who was declared fit for duty at a time when we desperately needed options. Been clear for a while it's all been a big ask for Ulloa, and an unfit Buckers hasn't been much help.

An example of what l I'm referring too is that March should have started last night IMHO. Someone who can get the opposition on the back foot from time to time. A reliable fearless outlet. Instead we succumbed with little fight or route to stamp any sort of mark on the game. Whilst good attacking players sat benched.

In their absence, and backing up the cautious approach, I would expect coaches to work on a few speciality set pieces. I concede we disagree on that.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
This is how I hope the conversation will go:

Oscar: I'm unhappy here because I cannot get the players I want and need to get this club promoted.

Tony Bloom: We will increase the budget next season

Paul Barber: No, we need to lower the budget further so it looks good on my CV, sorry, I mean because of FFP.

Tony Bloom: Paul, you're fired, get out of my boardroom. We will also allow you to bring in your own players Oscar.

David Burke: ... but that's my job!

Tony Bloom: Yes David, and you are shit at it, you're also fired, get out of my boardroom.

Nathan Jones doesn't even need to be asked, and also leaves.

This actually made me laugh out loud, fantastic!!!!!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Stay or go not overly bothered. Before he moans to Bloom about what he didn't have (funds, transfers, etc) they need to discuss why he didn't make better use of what he did have (cautious use of attacking players, poor set piece repertoire, etc).

Either way, I just hope everything is resolved very quickly.

What a very sensible post Harold. I wholeheartedly agree

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Didn't use the word pacey mate, you slipped that in.

IMHO he has been cautious in his use of attacking players favouring a patient possession game. Against the poorer opposition (on paper) this made for dour affairs (first halves in particular) and points dropped.

Regarding set pieces, he is a paid coach and along with Jones should have ensured a few stock set piece routines were well rehearsed. We have been devoid of ideas in this area and wasted the patient build up play as a result. There has been an evident uncertainty amongst the players and we've looked a tad amateurish at corners and free kicks (IMHO). The coaching staff should share the culpability for that.

we have been shit at set pieces for as long as i can remember - thats not something specific to OG. do you not remember those terrible short corners we did with Poyet that nearly always resulted in absolutely nothing. Before then at Withdrean we could barely get it past the first man for corners.....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't think pacy and attacking go hand in hand in the context of the Albion. Leo certainly isn't pacy, in fact I would consider only CMS and Rodriguez to have true pace as a prominent attribute.

Anyway, I was referring to OGs over use of players like Lua Lua, March, and CMS as reactive changes. And the non-utilisation of Hoskins who was declared fit for duty at a time when we desperately needed options. Been clear for a while it's all been a big ask for Ulloa, and an unfit Buckers hasn't been much help.

An example of what l I'm referring too is that March should have started last night IMHO. Someone who can get the opposition on the back foot from time to time. A reliable fearless outlet. Instead we succumbed with little fight or route to stamp any sort of mark on the game. Whilst good attacking players sat benched.

In their absence, and backing up the cautious approach, I would expect coaches to work on a few speciality set pieces. I concede we disagree on that.

The thing is about the Buckley or March starting dilemma, on Thursday Buckley was our main attacking threat, but we all know he will pull up at any second and have to be subbed.

The choice to was either start Buckley, or leave him out of the game completely, because if he came on from the bench and pulled up when we had used all our three subs, we would end up being down to ten men.

I felt that it made sense to start him, and then sub him when he gets broken or at half time, with March to finish the game.

With coaching set pieces you can only do so much if the players fail to deliver the ball in the right area. If the players cannot do that they need to practice their delivery by themselves.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
we have been shit at set pieces for as long as i can remember - thats not something specific to OG. do you not remember those terrible short corners we did with Poyet that nearly always resulted in absolutely nothing. Before then at Withdrean we could barely get it past the first man for corners.....

Oh I remember alright. I just took him at his word that attack would be the order of the day, and that crafty set piece routines might feature. A bit more nous than those that went before him perhaps.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
The thing is about the Buckley or March starting dilemma, on Thursday Buckley was our main attacking threat, but we all know he will pull up at any second and have to be subbed.

The choice to was either start Buckley, or leave him out of the game completely, because if he came on from the bench and pulled up when we had used all our three subs, we would end up being down to ten men.

I felt that it made sense to start him, and then sub him when he gets broken or at half time, with March to finish the game.

With coaching set pieces you can only do so much if the players fail to deliver the ball in the right area. If the players cannot do that they need to practice their delivery by themselves.

Fair view. I fancied going at them from the off with March. Game of opinions.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Fair view. I fancied going at them from the off with March. Game of opinions.

Yep indeed, I wouldn't have minded March starting btw but I can see why they wanted to use Buckley until he broke. The first 20 mins on Thursday he was great.

It really all went boobs up with having to make a defensive substitution and losing Ward at left back because of it. We could have dropped Ince back to play alongside Dunk but even then they have had no experience playing together in the CB roles. I don't think anything would have really worked by then no matter how the team was shuffled and Derby took advantage of this, and with only two subs left we were up the creek without a paddle.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Yep indeed, I wouldn't have minded March starting btw but I can see why they wanted to use Buckley until he broke. The first 20 mins on Thursday he was great.

It really all went boobs up with having to make a defensive substitution and losing Ward at left back because of it. We could have dropped Ince back to play alongside Dunk but even then they have had no experience playing together in the CB roles. I don't think anything would have really worked by then no matter how the team was shuffled and Derby took advantage of this, and with only two subs left we were up the creek without a paddle.

All fair mate. I just wanted us to throw the kitchen sink at them as we didn't look solid enough to invite a good team like that onto us in another waiting game. Would have been nice to have gone for them and say we had tried to play even if it was the same eventuality. Always next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here