Time to Stop These Absurd Pretendances – Now!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Okay, let's have another go at this. Surely most fans see football essentially as a shared, community experience, built entirely on the number of people actually present. That single figure is absolutely central to the atmosphere created. The number of people who may have paid but decided not to turn up is nothing but a sideshow.

Quote both figures if you want, but the one that matters most at the game – especially in terms of motivating the team and affecting the result – is the size of the crowd.

Disagree.

It's the acoustics of the stadium combined with the number of people prepared to sing/chant that make the atmosphere.

It is not meaningless. It reflects the number of tickets sold for the game. Which is clearly a very important figure in these days of FFP.

If it reflects the number of tickets sold why doesn't the club call it 'tickets sold' then?

Attendance means something different:

▶noun
1 the action or state of attending.
2 the number of people present at a particular occasion.

akipling

Jan 12, 2010
Morecambe
I for one prefer the higher figure as I have a £20 bet with a Leeds supporting mate that our average will be higher than theirs!

I've said this in other threads about this subject but couldn't the club publish the actual attendances in the club programme? They could have two figures: attendance and tickets sold.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Surely if a season ticket is sold then the expectation is that person will attend and it is 'money in the bank'. If the season ticket holder decides not to turn up due to weather etc., then the club cannot be held responsible as they will not have had chance to have resold the ticket.

I appreciate the points that most are making in terms of announcing the true figure of people attending and how with the technology it is easily possible, but I just can't see that it matters that much......

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why does anyone CARE?

All clubs do it, the Albion have done at Withdean and the Goldstone, Palace do it, why is anyone remotely bothered?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why does anyone CARE? why is anyone remotely bothered?
I refer the honourable lady to post #18.

I can't believe it took less than 24 hours after another impressive win, and more importantly a further step forward under Oscar, before the same tired, dull, boring, moans began surfacing.

Oh I had to queue.
Oh my pie was burnt and all they did was replace it.
Oh I had to wait for a train.
There's still no water slide from the WSU.
Oh the counter staff misheard my order.
Oh I paid £14 for Sausage and mash.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Why dont the club do two things, work out for their own records how many should/could turn up.

Then for match days and our actual benefit clock how many tickets go through the turnstiles and give an official match day attendance for people like us at the game (which i thought they already did, but clearly not).

Last edited:

MintonNo.4

Sep 4, 2011
2nill to the Albion, surely the only numbers worth worrying about and definitely the only numbers worth starting a thread about. IMO

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So, supposing we are bottom in April, and the Amex is half full. How is reading out an "official attendance" of 25,000 going to sound then?

It won't be because we have sold 23k season tickets so will always be in or around that number, if it were however pay on the gate you would probably be correct

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Why does anyone CARE?

All clubs do it, the Albion have done at Withdean and the Goldstone, Palace do it, why is anyone remotely bothered?

Because there are some on here for whom the need to get their knickers in a knot about something, anything, no matter how silly is a pathological and deep-seated one which needs to be constantly satisfied.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
This thread is ace. Some people.

Think of it another way.

An author gets a book published, they sell 10000 copies. By the attendence logic sum being argued the author should count how many have read the book not bought it.

How does it work with accountancy if we sell 26k tickets but then announce 25k attendence. Wouldn't that get quite complicated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports