Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to ask the question - Have you lost faith in the manager ?

Have you lost faith in Oscar ?

• Yes

Votes: 52 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 289 84.8%

• Total voters

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Lost the faith ??, bloody hell, we have 24,000 STO's, state of the art stadium, new £30 million training complex, plans for Hotels and Student accommodation, a great owner, running within the rules of FFP, mid table with 8 players out. I think we may need to go back to 1997 v Hereford, when at half time was the only time in my 50 years that I nearly lost the faith. I really think some of the fans need a sanity check, or go and support another team, as I for one don't want you, as we are in the best position we have ever been as a club. Grow up, I can only surmise that the people that have lost the faith have been supporters for 3/4 years.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This. I voted yes because the thread title was originally "do you still have faith in Oscar". At that point the yeses out numbered the nos, then it was pointed out the question with the poll was different to the thread title. If you read through the thread you would pick that up. I suspect it was a deliberate act from ernest.

Jesus wept, that's poor form. I have reported it.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
But last year we had a style, a way of playing. Last year we had players fitted into a system that suited them. Last year we were having a lot of bad luck in terms of last minute equalisers, penalties missed and so on. Last year we kept on going as a team that played one way, that was gelled, had morale, and ended up fourth.

This year?

Did you actually see us last season? Gus Poyet's side served up some utter shite on more than a few occasions. They also played some great football too. When it REALLY mattered in the playoffs the team played as far from 'gelled, with morale and playing one way' as a team could possibly get.

I'm guessing you never went to many away games last season? Dire best describes some of our performances away from home last season. Again, we also had some great performances. Your hero Poyet was not the great manager you keep wanting him to be remembered as. He wasn't crap either to be fair.

So, last minutes equalisers/opposition winning goals was 'bad luck' for Poyet? Nothing to do with lack of tactical nous-simply bad luck? Missed penalties bad luck? How do you explain 2 years' worth of never winning after we went behind? Let me guess: Bad Luck? Good job he's gone to the Black Cats for that much needed change of luck.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
This. I voted yes because the thread title was originally "do you still have faith in Oscar". At that point the yeses out numbered the nos, then it was pointed out the question with the poll was different to the thread title. If you read through the thread you would pick that up. I suspect it was a deliberate act from ernest.

Same here. I voted "yes" to the original thread and all of a sudden I appear to not have any faith in Oscar. I thought it was just me going bonkers but obviously the only one on here who's bonkers is the prize p***t who changed the thread title so that the votes suited their particular agenda.

So, just to set the record straight, I have complete faith in Oscar. So there!

Seagulls56

Oct 20, 2013
I am a season ticket holder and got to most away games and I'm not saying sack Oscar as it will take time to gel, and we will strengthen when we get all our players back.but yes we were dire home and away sometimes under Gus but I knew what we we're try thing to do and what our game plan was with Oscar at the moment I don't have a clue what our game plan is and what we are trying to do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Same here. I voted "yes" to the original thread and all of a sudden I appear to not have any faith in Oscar. I thought it was just me going bonkers but obviously the only one on here who's bonkers is the prize p***t who changed the thread title so that the votes suited their particular agenda.

Actually, the thread title was changed to match the poll question. Ernest started a thread with the title "do you still have faith in Oscar" but put the poll question as "have you lost your faith in Oscar". He was the on who tricked us, the mod who changed the title did so to stop more people being caught out. Though, really, that was too late and the poll was already flawed.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Did you actually see us last season? Gus Poyet's side served up some utter shite on more than a few occasions. They also played some great football too. When it REALLY mattered in the playoffs the team played as far from 'gelled, with morale and playing one way' as a team could possibly get.

I'm guessing you never went to many away games last season? Dire best describes some of our performances away from home last season. Again, we also had some great performances. Your hero Poyet was not the great manager you keep wanting him to be remembered as. He wasn't crap either to be fair.

So, last minutes equalisers/opposition winning goals was 'bad luck' for Poyet? Nothing to do with lack of tactical nous-simply bad luck? Missed penalties bad luck? How do you explain 2 years' worth of never winning after we went behind? Let me guess: Bad Luck? Good job he's gone to the Black Cats for that much needed change of luck.

Agreed. There were an incredible amount of naff performances last year, but people have glossed over them. Given the majority of the players remain the same (with the majority of our best players currently injured), I'm amazed how many people are questioning Oscar and comparing him negatively to Gus and last year's team.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Actually, the thread title was changed to match the poll question. Ernest started a thread with the title "do you still have faith in Oscar" but put the poll question as "have you lost your faith in Oscar". He was the on who tricked us, the mod who changed the title did so to stop more people being caught out. Though, really, that was too late and the poll was already flawed.

83% saying no is still pretty resounding, even more so when you take the above into account..

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have not lost faith in Oscar who is coach and not manager,he has to make do with the players he is given,it was obvious that when we did not obtain back up for injured strikers in January then we were likely drop down the table,which we have,despite this I feel we can hold a mid table position in the league,as long as we win our home games in an entertaining style of play we should be able to average a 20,000 plus attendance.
At least Oscar will not have the pressure of promotion, we can see what problems Palace have and be glad we are not in their place.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Injury to Ulloa is gutting, no-one is denying that. But why is the team so shapeless at present?

Just out of interest, KG, how many games have you been to this season? Do you get an exclusive live stream of all the matches out there in Borneo, a bit like Tony Bloom in Australia?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Quite staggering. How you can criticise a man who took us from League One relegation fodder to our best finish for 30 years is beyond me. Love him or hate him, Poyet is undoubtedly one of the best managers we have ever had. Yes, there were a few bum notes last season (as every team has, every season), but they were relatively few and completely overshadowed by the fact that we saw some of the best football ever seen from a Brighton side. Will we ever play with that much style and flair again?

We finished 4th too - not exactly shabby, especially considering we obviously had a restricted budget. If we'd had a clinical finisher from the start of the season, there's no doubt in my mind we'd be in the Premier League now. The number of games we dominated and totally outclassed the opposition but didn't have an end product... Ulloa was the last piece in the jigsaw. All set up on a plate for Oscar, really. So when the squad's fit, he really can have no excuses.

I'm amazed how many people are questioning Oscar and comparing him negatively to Gus and last year's team.

Perhaps it's because our football was an absolute joy to watch compared to (frankly) some of the dross that has been served up so far this season...?

Pains me to say it, but getting rid of Poyet could be one of the biggest mistakes our club has ever made. Whatever happened between him and Bloom and Barber, was it worth sacking the man when he obviously could have taken us to the 'promised land' they so desperately want us to get to?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Quite staggering. How you can criticise a man who took us from League One relegation fodder to our best finish for 30 years is beyond me. Love him or hate him, Poyet is undoubtedly one of the best managers we have ever had. Yes, there were a few bum notes last season (as every team has, every season), but they were relatively few and completely overshadowed by the fact that we saw some of the best football ever seen from a Brighton side. Will we ever play with that much style and flair again?

We finished 4th too - not exactly shabby, especially considering we obviously had a restricted budget. If we'd had a clinical finisher from the start of the season, there's no doubt in my mind we'd be in the Premier League now. The number of games we dominated and totally outclassed the opposition but didn't have an end product... Ulloa was the last piece in the jigsaw. All set up on a plate for Oscar, really. So when the squad's fit, he really can have no excuses.

Perhaps it's because our football was an absolute joy to watch compared to (frankly) some of the dross that has been served up so far this season...?

Pains me to say it, but getting rid of Poyet could be one of the biggest mistakes our club has ever made. Whatever happened between him and Bloom and Barber, was it worth sacking the man when he obviously could have taken us to the 'promised land' they so desperately want us to get to?
You need to turn down the sensitivity setting on your Gus Goggles.

Poyet had THE perfect opportunity to 'take us to the promised land' last season but he blew it. Did he or did he not phuck up this club's best opportunity to get promoted in decades? Nobody is denying that he had the Albion playing some of the best football the club has seen, he also had us playing some utter shite too. My criticism of him is that despite being unproven as a manager, he was given a fantastic opportunity by Tony Bloom but he put Project Poyet first.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Agreed. There were an incredible amount of naff performances last year, but people have glossed over them. Given the majority of the players remain the same (with the majority of our best players currently injured), I'm amazed how many people are questioning Oscar and comparing him negatively to Gus and last year's team.

You're not alone by any means but anyone coming out and criticising Poyet generally invited a shedload of abuse. Now the same seems true for Oscar.

Not aiming this at you by any means, just that your post triggered my thinking; but it seems to me, on pretty well any matter, unless you have a polarised view then an objective discussion is pretty well impossible

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Poyet had THE perfect opportunity to 'take us to the promised land' last season but he blew it. Did he or did he not phuck up this club's best opportunity to get promoted in decades?

You could equally argue he was the one who created the opportunity in the first place. It was our first defeat in 11 matches, we were probably due a bad one. I also think the players have to take their fair share of criticism for not performing on the night, they just didn't turn up. Having said that, who knows what would have happened if one of those Barnes chances had gone in...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven't lost faith in Oscar, but the feel good factor of the ascent of the club over the last 4 years has definitely waned big time. I think partly due to the inept ending in the play offs second leg, but mainly due to the tangible effects on the field of the reality check in abiding by the FL financial fair play rules.

In a sense the club (like most others) was living a lie with £8m per annum losses to sustain Poyet's spending/player wages sprees, which are now outlawed. An obvious example being we cannot pay the wages demanded by the classy Bridge, so the squad quality has fallen and the chances of competing with clubs such as Forest who are flouting the rules are slim.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Me too. I got stitched up as well.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
...Pains me to say it, but getting rid of Poyet could be one of the biggest mistakes our club has ever made. Whatever happened between him and Bloom and Barber, was it worth sacking the man when he obviously could have taken us to the 'promised land' they so desperately want us to get to?

I'm absolutely sure Gus would be managing Sunderland now whether he'd been sacked or not.

Unless they wouldn't pay the compensation in which case I'd anticipate we'd have a very sulky manager at the club right now.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Might have made sense to have a 'not yet' button. Voted no as way too soon and way too many injuries to judge at this point IMO. That said I do have some reservations on where we are currently, even allowing for the injuries...

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not sure. Poyet didn't have a plan b either, just as Oscar doesn't seem to have, but at least he got plan a working pretty well.

His tactical decisions have left me scratching my head on a few occasions (leaving out key players, playing Bruno at CM, lack of pace in build-up play etc), but we are suffering a pretty horrendous injury crisis. Too early to write him off completely, but he hasn't put his stamp on the club as I had hoped he would just yet.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
The whole management set-up seem a bit out of their depth. We looked shapeless and directionless at the pre-season friendlies and that hasn't really changed all season. Also who is managing the injuries and looking after the medical side of things now, because that's a shambles. These injuries aren't all bad luck... Bridcutt was rushed back too soon, Ulloa was played with injuries, Orlandi and Lualua's injuries were misdiagnosed. Spanish Dave is clearly unfit. What's going on with Kemmy? It's all very amateurish.

Nathan Jones seems to be very influential now... which is another concern. What qualifies him to run a team in the Championship?

I desperately want Oscar to throw the shackles off and get us on a winning run. I hope the worrying signs are more related to Oscar taking duff advise from Jones and Burke out of politeness, and not because he's a bad manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here