Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Time for Parliamentary change ?

What do you think we should do ?

• Build a new Parliament with buttons

Votes: 47 78.3%
  • Pay Billions so we can carry on queuing for the Lobbies

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I'm sorry I don't understand the question

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, why are you saying it's a problem

when the vast majority are already doing it :shrug:

i acknowledge its a possible solution to the initial problem, if there's willingness to make this temporay state permanent.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
i acknowledge its a possible solution to the initial problem, if there's willingness to make this temporay state permanent.

I'm afraid that the only place 'this problem' ever existed was in your mind. Here you said that if we moved parliament you believed this would be a problem

still that problem of the ministries and the thousands there that would need to move too. i suppose we go full radical and make all civil service work from home, or local offices, and remote into virtual Departmental office as the ministers move round the nations, like a travelling circus.

I pointed out that it isn't a problem as it already happens :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Of course there is.

But how can you vote on a proposition unless you have heard both sides of the argument? And look at the hours where there is meaningful business in the Commons! Look at the length of the parliamentary day, the ridiculous amount of holidays they get, the fact that many of them have accommodation on the doorstep so no long commutes every day. And often the Commons doesnt even sit on a Friday.

Maybe if they took less holidays and worked longer hours they could listen to the important debates AND do their constituency work.

Just a thought.

could read the arguements recorded (which is already what most probably do). i dont believe theres as much debate as we'd like to think, more statements of positions for the record. MPs will hold view and rarely change, as noted theres the whip as well. we'd best start there with reform.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I really don't understand this desire to move everything away from our capital city? I do however agree that there should be a lay out fit for purpose which would ideally mean individual seats/lecturns. It would mean PMQs would be less theatre and more substance. It might stop the ridiculous behaviour of many MPs on both sides of the house.

But, it should be in London.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I really don't understand this desire to move everything away from our capital city? I do however agree that there should be a lay out fit for purpose which would ideally mean individual seats/lecturns. It would mean PMQs would be less theatre and more substance. It might stop the ridiculous behaviour of many MPs on both sides of the house.

But, it should be in London.

The UK has a problem with being too dependent upon London - all the political parties acknowledge this.

London has a problem with pollution, congestion, while rents are high. Provincial cities need a boost, and if he are to have HS2 then why not put it to use by having more government buildings in Birmingham / Manchester?

The BBC managed to locate away from BBC Television Centre to Media City in Salford with 3,200 jobs based there, plus the creative supply chain that goes with that.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sorry - late to this thread.

Ever since the costs of re-furbishing Parliament were announced a couple of years ago, I have been dumbfounded that MPs are so attached to the place. As far as I can see, it is not fit for purpose. I would keep it as a museum.

I understand (from an MP's assistant) that some MP's office's are currently so far from the chamber that they can from time-to-time be seen running to make a vote in time. We need one building, that can host all MPs and their offices. Arguably we also need the same for the Lords too.

I doubt there is anywhere in London where a purpose build facility would fit. However I simply cannot understand why so much money is being spent on a system whereby MPs crowd into a hall that is too small, and then have to walk through an arch to vote.

I would move it North, but that is because I think some (not all) MPs need to understand that life exists outside London. It seems to me that all infrastructure spending is concentrated on London... the 'Pacer' trains that call into my local station were meant to be out of service by 2000 - twenty years later they are still running.

Anyway, I digress. Land would be cheaper up in Yorkshire, we're friendly up here and their 'second home' budget would stretch much further!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here