Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tiger Woods

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I never really took to him, he always seemed to be the emotionless face of corporate golf, an advertising opportunity. This could be the end for him now, he has had knee problems for some time and if your back goes too that's probably it for him now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not Tiger, but I've just been watching Sky Sports showing an Aussie, Robert Green I think, get a hole-in-one on a par 4. Must be quite rare, even for a pro. I've done it on a par 3 at Singing Hills, not many par 4s I can reach in 1.

I HATE that par 3 with the green on the island (lake or river, can't remember). But then I guess that's the point.

I was about an inch away from a hole in one on the 4th (I think) at Hill Barn years ago. Tee shot caught a following wind, and as I walked up to the green, the two fellas in front were still there and told me what happened. Had to settle for my first eagle instead :thumbsup:

As for Tiger? He won't quit the sport, but I don't reckon he'll ever come close again.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Turned on SSN last night and was told that the golf starts at 7pm on Sky Sports whatever. The only player they mentioned was Tiger. Are they out of touch or do the masses still actually like him and want to watch him?

He is the main reason I do not watch much golf anymore - I cannot stand the circus surrounding him and the apparent need to see him walking from his car, on the practice range and then every one of his shots on his round, plus the glossing over of the spitting, swearing and club chucking. There are loads of other players better than him now who they should concentrate on.

Perhaps it is just me but I do not see the attraction in him anymore and am amazed that Sky still appear to.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I never really took to him, he always seemed to be the emotionless face of corporate golf, an advertising opportunity. This could be the end for him now, he has had knee problems for some time and if your back goes too that's probably it for him now.

Emotionless....... have you watched him play !

Plenty of things to throw at Tiger, but emotionless on the course is not one of them surely...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Turned on SSN last night and was told that the golf starts at 7pm on Sky Sports whatever. The only player they mentioned was Tiger. Are they out of touch or do the masses still actually like him and want to watch him?

The attendance of certain tournaments will tell you that people still want to watch him. The tournament he played a couple of weeks ago was about 35% up on years he hasn't played.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Emotionless....... have you watched him play !

Plenty of things to throw at Tiger, but emotionless on the course is not one of them surely...

He is marginally more emotional than old judge Dredd himself, David Duval. It's not by much though, Tiger always looks like he is always sucking a lemon.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Tiger Woods finished, ha ha, think I've heard everything now!!

I hear that Phil Taylor bloke is finished at darts too, and as for that old French bloke Drogba....

Woods is now second favourite at 11/1 with Bet 365 btw.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Still got to be the biggest attraction in golf if you just look at viewing figures when he plays, so It's no surprise the attention he gets - In any case it's probably similar to Mcilroy now.

Anyway I don't think it's the end just yet, he won like 6 times in 2013 and hasn't lost any motivation. Most players would have quit after all the surgeries he's had so even if you don't like him you have to admire his determination to carry on playing.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Still got to be the biggest attraction in golf if you just look at viewing figures when he plays, so It's no surprise the attention he gets - In any case it's probably similar to Mcilroy now.

Anyway I don't think it's the end just yet, he won like 6 times in 2013 and hasn't lost any motivation. Most players would have quit after all the surgeries he's had so even if you don't like him you have to admire his determination to carry on playing.

Money is a powerful motivator, it's like Tyson after his glory years, he was forced to keep fighting as he ( and his entourage) had blown all the money, it's all about bums on seats. All the time there are sponsors willing to pay him to turn up he will.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
MUGS continued to smash into him at carpet and a half
never heard that phrase before... presumably means 9/2?

and "double carpet and a half" would be essentially 50/1...?

Edit: GOOGLE has been my friend and apparently "carpet and a half" is actually 7/2 (3/1 + "a half")

- time spent on NSC is not wasted... :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Tiger Woods finished, ha ha, think I've heard everything now!!

I hear that Phil Taylor bloke is finished at darts too, and as for that old French bloke Drogba....

Woods is now second favourite at 11/1 with Bet 365 btw.

I'm surprised,so he is still second favourite for The Farmers Open ? This will require some comeback.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
Money is a powerful motivator, it's like Tyson after his glory years, he was forced to keep fighting as he ( and his entourage) had blown all the money, it's all about bums on seats. All the time there are sponsors willing to pay him to turn up he will.

$1.3 Billion in career earnings already I'm not sure

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Never looks like he's enjoying himself - even when he was the best in the world.

Always come across to me as a sore loser and a not particularly pleasant character.

Of course I don't know him and he may be a lovely guy - I just think there are far far better role models in sport.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
He's making money for me at the moment as he was evens to miss the cut this week.... Like finding money in the street [emoji2][emoji2]

His short game, which was his most powerful weapon, is shot to shit and he pretty much has the chipping yips which will take a hell of a lot of work to get rid of. He used to get away with missing fairways and greens but not any more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here