Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Thunderstorms kicking off.....................

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Been a cracker this evening and no mistake

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Even though it’s pissing in my utility room (stone floor no probs ) I thoroughly enjoyed that…

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Is that a pic by you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is my pic. I took about 150 pics and that was the best one unfortunately its out of focus but it was raining so setting up the camera was a pain and i didn't want it to get too wet . Mainly flash lightning rather than strikes and you have to have the camera in correct direction to pick out the odd ones. Went monsoon for about 5 minutes ....

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
It is my pic. I took about 150 pics and that was the best one unfortunately its out of focus but it was raining so setting up the camera was a pain and i didn't want it to get too wet . Mainly flash lightning rather than strikes and you have to have the camera in correct direction to pick out the odd ones. Went monsoon for about 5 minutes ....

That is a great feat of photography; I’m incredibly impressed. Very good quality picture too - it has a lovely ratio of one side to the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
AF12F610-811A-4FFA-B385-13AAE959F602.jpeg

Lancing had some fun!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Great photography relies on luck as much as skill IMO .

The science behind this is simple

a) use the cameras intervalometer , this is a timer which allows you to take multiple pictures with out you touching the camera (you can buy an external device which does this)
b) if its dark then use manual focus and set lens to infinity , take an image and check for focus.
c) go to manual settings and use 3 seconds and a low ISO. I use 3 secs - could have use longer e.g. 5 . Not sure i would go above that.
d) chose the likely direction of storm and leave the camera pointed in that direction - don't move it to try to catch images
e) press take picture and the camera will then run taking pictures depending how many you set on the intervalometer

It was raining and I was less careful about checking the focus so a bit annoyed by that. It was raining softly then harder and then 'full hose' as the lighting came all around me...no pics

The luck is picking the direction and whether the lightning strike occurs when camera is taking the image or when its in the gap between.

I might have had a bit more success with a wide angle lens as it covers more area in each frame.

Happy to answer any questions

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
All kicking off in central Brighton at the moment, caught completely unawares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here