Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Three into two don't go

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think last season we were up against a strong squad with a poor manager (Middlesbrough) and a decent squad with a good manager (Burnley). Unfortunately, this time we're up against 2 strong squads with 2 very good managers plus Villa who should improve under Bruce, so it's going to be really tough to do better than 3rd. If we keep everyone fit all year, then maybe - but I reckon Newcastle and Norwich have such strength in depth thanks to the unbalanced finances that they'll succeed by riding out injuries and bans far better than anyone else.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Newcastle will be top two. I think we have a chance of getting the other slot, but play-offs are more realistic.

In a strange way, it might actually help to know 4 or 5 games out that play-offs is where we'll finish. Fighting to the very wire for automatic promotion last season took so much out of us – literally with injuries, plus emotionally etc. Meanwhile Sheff Wed and others had eased off the gas in the last few games as they knew the score.

That's not to say I don't want to go up with the Geordies, just if we're going to do play-offs again, let's be ready and focused.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Remember last season, when everyone outside of BHAFC expected us to drop away and everyone on here had a tantrum whenever anyone said about us falling away?

Huddersfield can go second if they win tomorrow and we're talking about a three horse race. You couldn't make it up

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Remember last season, when everyone outside of BHAFC expected us to drop away and everyone on here had a tantrum whenever anyone said about us falling away?

Huddersfield can go second if they win tomorrow and we're talking about a three horse race. You couldn't make it up

I agree..." the complacency of fools destroys them"

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Anyone else feel like we could be going the same way as last season again?

I am, and other fans, seem to be looking for Newcastle and Norwich to lose before Christmas: last year it was not until the turn of the year,

4 pts worse off this season at this stage. That could be put down to two headers (the one from PNE that went in and the one that Duffy missed for Blackburn last season.).

I don't want to play Newcastle in the play-offs.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I thought the same this morning, hopefully we can push on abit or make a better fist of the play offs this year.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Newcastle will get a 100 points.
Norwich similar to us by scraping wins so we are competing against them and cannot lose this month to them. As long as villa don't sneak into the play offs we will win them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yep. Though I think Newcastle and Norwich are better than Middlesbrough and Burnley. I'd be more confident in the playoffs if we didn't play the last ten games of the season at 150% tempo.

This. We were quite literally spent last year. It really is unfair on any team busting a gut to finish in the top two to then have to play a team that have been coasting and conserving their energy for a play off push.

Spinal Wheels

Apr 9, 2012
Newick
The way the table is shaping up, it does look that way.

Which will make the home games against Newcastle and Norwich more decisive than ever, and we will probably need to win both to avoid going in the Villa away game relying on results of others.

I have to agree it's already looking like the home games at the Amex against Newcastle & Norwich are going to be absolutley massive games for us this season if we want to avoid yet again just missing out on an automatic place.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I still believe that top 6 is the best we can realistically hope for. To do better we would need luck with injuries and suspensions (not great so far) and to significantly strengthen in January. The most positive thing is that we now have an alternative to Stephens and Kayal. However I don't think we are strong enough for top two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have no idea where this is coming from, esp after last night and with Hughton already making noises that another striker (to be substituted on 70 mins) might not be forthcoming.

There's no way the Albion are one of the 3 best teams in the division.
If we are, then the Championship is considerably poorer than we think.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Too early for this.

We just need to concentrate on ourselves and get 92 points+.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Yes; at the start of the season I thought that if we finished above Newcastle OR Norwich then we'd go up automatically and that it was always going to be us and those two fighting it out for the two slots.

None of us have had a sustained poor period yet - every team will have a run of say 5/6 games with only one victory as that's the nature of the Championship. We just have to hope that our poor period isn't the poorest of the three!

Unless Villa get on an amazing run I can't really see anyone else from the pack being a huge threat. I do think Villa will be in the Play Offs though and that fills me with dread already :lol:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I am team TooEarlyToSay. On the one hand we are behind where we were at this stage last season (29 points then vs 25 points now). Newcastle are where we were last season, with Norwich almost at the same level.

Personally I think we have a better team at this stage of the season vs last, with the notable exception of Kayal/Stephens not featuring together (and not much individually in Stephens case). Feels to me like we haven't quite got in our groove yet, that there is plenty more to come.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I have no idea where this is coming from, esp after last night and with Hughton already making noises that another striker (to be substituted on 70 mins) might not be forthcoming.

There's no way the Albion are one of the 3 best teams in the division.
If we are, then the Championship is considerably poorer than we think.

We were the third best team last season. Replaced Greer with Duffy, Zamora and Wilson with Murray, added Norwood, have Sidwell, Skalak and Knockhaert for the whole season. Hopefully March will come back and hit the form he was showing before being injured last season (although tough with such a long layoff).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For me, it's all about our games against our top rivals. We need to beat Norwich this month and win the 3 games from Jan 21st - 31st (Newcastle, Massive, 'Udders); that should see us promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here