Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thought the Ref had a good game tonight!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
That was after he went head to head with El Abd though. CAnt remember if the two incidents were related.

I didn't see him go head to head with El-Abd after but that would make sense. Maybe El-Abd was giving him a bit of an earful about his antics?

He was probably the worst I have seen this season, and I have seen Steve Cook ref two of our games this year. He was hopeless...

> He gave a free kick and booked Elliott Bennett for shielding the ball from Harding when the later, in fact, was fouling him as Bennett tried to win us the corner and to book him for that is utter toss pot.
>To follow that up the decision to not even talk to Jahidi, let alone book him for chopping crofts head off was an utter disgrace.
> His general incompetence, not looking at his linesman, giving them a free kick in front of the away dugout because Carole was adjudged to have fouled Harding when it was completely the other way round. Arguably the free kick leading up to their first goal should not have been given. I thought he dived, the replays may suggest otherwise.

The thing that really pissed me off was his pally, pally behavior with the Southampton squad at the end. He pretty much SHAGGED Dean Hammond and Rickie Lambert. He was utter Vomit, much like 90% of all the other refs.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
He was probably the worst I have seen this season, and I have seen Steve Cook ref two of our games this year. He was hopeless...

> He gave a free kick and booked Elliott Bennett for shielding the ball from Harding when the later, in fact, was fouling him as Bennett tried to win us the corner and to book him for that is utter toss pot.
>To follow that up the decision to not even talk to Jahidi, let alone book him for chopping crofts head off was an utter disgrace.
> His general incompetence, not looking at his linesman, giving them a free kick in front of the away dugout because Carole was adjudged to have fouled Harding when it was completely the other way round. Arguably the free kick leading up to their first goal should not have been given. I thought he dived, the replays may suggest otherwise.

The thing that really pissed me off was his pally, pally behavior with the Southampton squad at the end. He pretty much SHAGGED Dean Hammond and Rickie Lambert. He was utter Vomit, much like 90% of all the other refs.

He was inconsistant in his inconsistancy. It was a joke. Just another game tarnished by a twatish refferee. HIm and Gavin Ward are really pushing for acolade of my most hated man in black this season.

Squeakseagull

Feb 25, 2009
When refs are assessed by their peers perhaps its about time it was made open. This will clarify contentious decisions and maybe(?!!) help us understand the actions taken.
I am fed up with Managers being fined for protesting against such utter incompetence and players receiving yellow or red cards resulting from piss poor decisions. I know sometimes referees do get decisions right but thats rarer than hens teeth.

High levels of inconsistency and general incompetence seems to be the only qualifications a ref needs these days. Same for the linos and that other well known waste of space the 4th official/ ball boy!!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

In fairness, I think Bennett was booked for kneeing Harding after the ball went out of play and it could have been worst. Harding may have fouled him but he shouldn't have reacted and that got him booked.

I agree about Jaidi. In fact he gave a lecture to Barnes afterwards and I thought he would then at least book Jaidi but he didn't even speak to him.

The free kick for their first goal was a clear dive and Hammond should then have got a second booking for his celebration in front of the south stand.

Overall, he was awful and the linesman on the south stand side was worst. Couldn't see much of the north stand lino but I did notice him giving a free kick against Carole when he was fouled by the corner flag late in the first half so I assume he was crap too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When refs are assessed by their peers perhaps its about time it was made open. This will clarify contentious decisions and maybe(?!!) help us understand the actions taken.
I am fed up with Managers being fined for protesting against such utter incompetence and players receiving yellow or red cards resulting from piss poor decisions. I know sometimes referees do get decisions right but thats rarer than hens teeth.

High levels of inconsistency and general incompetence seems to be the only qualifications a ref needs these days. Same for the linos and that other well known waste of space the 4th official/ ball boy!!!

To be fair to the fourth official they have no power whatsoever so can do nothing. The fourth official last night must have been embarassed when he was getting Poyet to calm down. He must have seen the lino put his flag up and then put it down so known Poyet was right but still cannot say anything other than calm the manager down.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Are the officials professionals? You'd think with all the money in football the clubs although mostly desperate themselves would rather set funds aside to ensure the standard of the officials was raised to the point they could get basic decisions right. With funds in place they could be trained better & monitored on their performances etc.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To be fair to the fourth official they have no power whatsoever so can do nothing. The fourth official last night must have been embarassed when he was getting Poyet to calm down. He must have seen the lino put his flag up and then put it down so known Poyet was right but still cannot say anything other than calm the manager down.

Yeah, have to sat I felt sorry for the fourth official at that point, talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If it bounced up and hit his arm, bearing in mind no-one was near him, it should have been a penalty. 'Ball-to-hand' or 'no intent' is not a defence against a free-kick or penalty going against you.

But back to those bent officials, even in the Leyton Orient game - some of the most perverse reffing ever - at least one of the officials seemed in control of his faculties. Tonight we had all three being utterly incompetent.

- Bennett got booked because Harding stood up quickly
- Jaidi didn't get booked for trying to take Crofts' head off. All he did was tell the Brighton layers to sod off
- Didn't book Dean Hammond (2nd time) for well, being Dean Hammond
- Spoke to Lambert about some afters, then does nothing when Lambert goes and lamps El-Abd five seconds later

True there was the El-Abd clothes-horsing their fella in the second half, but the bentness was generally one way. :tosser:

From the guide to referees in the Laws of the Game:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with
the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into
consideration:
• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an
infringement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here