Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Webster experiment ends jan 1st !!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I agree. Villa winner and naive Leicester penalty down to him also.

0-0 at Chelsea, still in the game, hosts getting frustrated. Short ball inside the box to Webster, terrible first touch, result...penalty. Game gone.
Its not just 1-2 games, its a whole string of them.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
I think we should recall Ben White, just to **** up Leeds’ promotion bid.

Is it true that Barber was on TalkShite saying that a recall in Jan was possible? Stuff I’d previously read on social media seemed to indicate that it wasn’t.

He'd also be better option at RB than Alzate, who's ability is wasted in that position (and really exposed us against Wolves). It also gives more flexibiity with having another ball-playing CB (and a good defender), which allows added option of playing Webster at RB.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
You sound like a knob because you're stating the bleedin' obvious, whilst presenting it as "insight". I didn't need a 5 paragraph thesis MANSPLAINING the theory behind our tactics. I am fully aware of the difference between Webster and Duffy, and the different aspects they bring to the team.

In my opinion, the ball-playing Webster is a less effective defender than the mobile wall unit that is Duffy. He takes risks that do not need to be taken. We HAVE a ball-playing CB in Dunk, and again, in my opinion, they are a far more effective defensive partnership. Duffy will win it and play it simple to someone who can pick a pass. Webster won't win it, or when he does, he often ends up losing it. I appreciate this is Potters style - he wants all our defenders to be comfortable to dribble out from the back - but I think by splitting D&D he has inevitably weakened us in that area. Sometimes it'll work, but a lot of the time it'll cost us, because Webster is simply not as good at heading or tackling then Duffy is, and I don't think the trade-off (an extra ball-playing CB in the team) is worth it.

I was disappointed with Webster's performance yesterday, but I don't have any particular issue with the way he played when in possession. I just thought on a few occasions he got caught out for pace, as his positioning wasn't right. Sometimes it happens and it is something for our coaching team to work on. Incidentally as per the point of the thread. White was deemed to have had a below par performance this weekend against Huddersfield. I hope he learns from it too. Webster was last season's stand out Championship centre back, playing for Bristol City, where hyperbole does not reach anywhere near Leeds levels. I am really looking forward to White returning, probably next season.

Yesterday was a really tricky fixture, Wolves are a really good attacking side and worked out quite quickly that we were not the quickest side going forward. They defended as a 5-4-1 and particularly in the first half pushed right up and compressed the play, which did require us to spend a lot of time playing in our own area to draw them out and passing around on the half way line collectively scratching our heads. Fortunately Maupay had what I thought was his best game for us to date, supported by some terrific through balls and in the second half they played Coady in particular much deeper.

We don't have a massive injury list right now, but we really are short of pacey options out wide and up front. this makes it easier for sides to sit back and then try and catch us on the counter attack. I think yesterday showed we can work through this, without needing to scapegoat individuals.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Need to give Webster more time he is work in progress, he did have a poor game yesterday though

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don’t agree with scapegoating individuals. I’d say most people here are being very kind, acknowledging Webster has long term potential. However, he had a shocker yesterday and is going to find criticism unavoidable given the defensive ability of the player he’s keeping out of the team. Was there one pass that made a huge difference to our attacking? A lot of them were short passes to Dunk which I think a certain Mr Duffy can just about manage. The ball to the deep midfielder needs to be chosen wisely too - not pinged, like yesterday, at a marked Propper with an instruction to sweep it out wide. Hence, the blind pass straight to a Wolves player. And the storming runs forward? One almost led to a goal for Neves, while diving in on the halfway line did lead to a goal to Jota. Poor again at judging high balls too, getting caught underneath them and either allowing a free header or free run on goal.

Second half, he seemed to stop the runs forward. In which case, may as well play Duffy, who can actually defend. Looks to me like a player who’s staying in the team to justify his price tag, right now.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You sound like a knob because you're stating the bleedin' obvious, whilst presenting it as "insight". I didn't need a 5 paragraph thesis MANSPLAINING the theory behind our tactics. I am fully aware of the difference between Webster and Duffy, and the different aspects they bring to the team.

In my opinion, the ball-playing Webster is a less effective defender than the mobile wall unit that is Duffy. He takes risks that do not need to be taken. We HAVE a ball-playing CB in Dunk, and again, in my opinion, they are a far more effective defensive partnership. Duffy will win it and play it simple to someone who can pick a pass. Webster won't win it, or when he does, he often ends up losing it. I appreciate this is Potters style - he wants all our defenders to be comfortable to dribble out from the back - but I think by splitting D&D he has inevitably weakened us in that area. Sometimes it'll work, but a lot of the time it'll cost us, because Webster is simply not as good at heading or tackling then Duffy is, and I don't think the trade-off (an extra ball-playing CB in the team) is worth it.

If it was that bleeding obvious then you’d understand that replacing Webster with Duffy would have a massive impact on how well the whole team worked. It’s not FIFA where you just pick the player with the best rating and everything works perfectly because Duffy is a 78 so therefore better than Webster who is a 74. Wanting Webster dropped for Duffy is no different from wanting Connolly dropped for Murray; but people seem to overlook how important defenders are in the system we play,

For all this talk of Webster not being very good defensively it’s worth noting that we’re conceding less goals per game this season than last season. If Webster is dropped then it’ll be for Burn once Bernardo is back.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The Webster Duffy debate is a really interesting one.

What I don’t get is the thought process of replacing him with White. It’s a bit different facing the likes of Vardy, Rashford, Mane, Traore, Aguero etc than Championship strikers every week....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Going back to the Norwich game (when Webster was injured early and Duffy came on), I remember being shocked how poor Shane was at playing simple balls out of defence. That’s the problem. I love Duffy, and he’s a great guy to have as back up, but he has some severe limitations in the type of footie we play now. If we can’t play the ball around at the back, invite the press, then beat it, we will rarely make inroads further up the pitch.

And regarding Ben White, he may we’ll be the bees knees, but there is a HUGE difference between the Championship and the Prem. The speed of thought of the average player is chalk and cheese.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
My take on the White situation. Get him back here in January, get him in the 25 and let the Manager decide if he is worth a place. He has obviously made great strides at Leeds, but we owe them nothing. If he is better than what we currently have then so be it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have to admit I like the idea of a back 3 with White Webster and Dunk.

Webster would be happier, and I am pretty sure White plays in a 3 at Leeds. I'm sure he is terrific but its a huge jump from the Championship to the top end of Premier League.

Playing in a flat back 4 the way we do is tough for the 2 centre backs. We expose them way more than we used too.

Duffy would have also been tore to pieces at times yesterday.

Although I am never disappointed to see Duffy on the team sheet.

I like Webster and think his defending will improve.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's 12 games into his Premier League career with a new club.

We've conceded 2 more goals than we had this time last year, having played all but Spurs of the so called top 6 away from home.

His pass completion rate is the same as Dunk, his aerial duels won per game is actually higher at 2.6 compared to Dunk's 1.9.

He can draw players toward him when he has the ball, and comfortable dribbling out into space taking the ball round players creating space for others.

We're 16 Premier League game into a tactical and technical revolution by Potter in our play. I'd say so far things are going remarkably well, and in that Webster has settled in very well. He'll get better, but we have to accept we are more defensively open than the previous 2 seasons, that is the result of pushing so many players forward and taking risks on the ball.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Going back to the Norwich game (when Webster was injured early and Duffy came on), I remember being shocked how poor Shane was at playing simple balls out of defence. That’s the problem. I love Duffy, and he’s a great guy to have as back up, but he has some severe limitations in the type of footie we play now. If we can’t play the ball around at the back, invite the press, then beat it, we will rarely make inroads further up the pitch.

And regarding Ben White, he may we’ll be the bees knees, but there is a HUGE difference between the Championship and the Prem. The speed of thought of the average player is chalk and cheese.

He absolutely shanked at least two balls, when under little or no pressure, into the West Stand. We miss him in the air though - not sure VVD would have had the same freedom of the penalty box to score twice if Duffy had been there.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I have to admit I like the idea of a back 3 with White Webster and Dunk.

Webster would be happier, and I am pretty sure White plays in a 3 at Leeds. I'm sure he is terrific but its a huge jump from the Championship to the top end of Premier League.

Playing in a flat back 4 the way we do is tough for the 2 centre backs. We expose them way more than we used too.

Duffy would have also been tore to pieces at times yesterday.

Although I am never disappointed to see Duffy on the team sheet.

I like Webster and think his defending will improve.

Leeds play 4 at the back, I must admit White looks quality but it’s far too early to be chucking him into our team, let him spend the season at Leeds battling it out at the top of the championship, will do him the world of good.

To me it’s easy for people to say Duffy is a better defender than Webster, when Duffy has played this season he’s looked quite flustered IMO, and sure his defending last season in our park the bus system was good most of the time but we don’t know he can defend in the system we play now where our CBS are often left exposed, Potter sees him everyday in training so I would trust his judgement. Alzate yesterday left Webster totally exposed with his positioning at times, Dunk escapes critique but he lost 2 headers to Jimenez in the first half which nearly led to us conceding as well.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

White may struggle to make the step up. Webster is struggling the make the step up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A few people on various threads have correctly pointed out that Webster's form has dropped off since we went to 2 centre backs. Webster's strength is carrying the ball into midfield and creating overloads, but he just can't risk doing that with only one CB behind him

4 at the back has negated Webster's main strength, it's much easier then to notice his weaknesses

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Duffy to Leeds if they get promoted?

Why Leeds? We don't owe them a defender. If anyone stumps up Shane's value and him and the club agree to the sale then fair enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here