Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This nonsense about being effectively promoted tomorrow because of our superior GD

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The most pleasing thing about winning promotion on Monday afternoon will be that it is the only one of the last six games NOT to be on Sky

Probably not THAT pleasing for the Albion fans around the world, who can't be there, to be honest...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The most pleasing thing about winning promotion on Monday afternoon will be that it is the only one of the last six games NOT to be on Sky
Sky dropped an almighty clanger by having to televise Fulham v Villa at 2:45 that afternoon, as Fulham hadn't had their quota of games.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Is anyone really wetting themselves that it isn't going to happen though? For me, it is when it is mathematically certain and that's when it will really sink in. Doesn't mean I think Huddersfield will overhaul it.

I'll compare it to when you get married. You're waiting for the bride to arrive so there is a little worry. She's there and walking down the aisle (or whatever in the venue you are at). It's looking more then likely but not yet certain. The priest/registrar etc get's to the bit about anyone here know just cause why they shouldn't get married . Silence, so it's even closer. You say your vows but it's not until you get the 'I know pronounce you man and wife' that the deal is done (ok, it might not be official till you sign the registra but you get the gist). Well same with promotion!

No that's relegation surely ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It may be the latent accountant in me but it really hacks me off.

If we are 15 points ahead with Huddersfield with 5 games to go, the assumption is that even if we lose 4 and they win 5 they won't overtake us on goal difference. But they could and therefore it is not promotion, effectively or not.

Well it's 35 goals to make up. Say we lose all four of us 3-0 like at Forest, that's 12 of them. Could be worse at Norwich if they are on fire! 23 goals in the Huddersfield games is only 5-0 in four and 3-0 in another.

Oh okay, yes it isn't going to happen is it. But the phrase does for some reason make my blood boil. :albion2::albion2::albion2:

Boil away squire, cos I suspect you're on your own on this one.

For Huddersfield to overtake us on goal difference, it would have to render their - and our - results as little short of bent.

Oh no he's not alone. I know exactly what he means! I am confident even before tomorrow and whatever it might bring, but I while there is still a mathematical possibility of it happening, however remote, it could still happen. And I can just hear Jeff Stelling on the final day of the Championship Season - "Well who would have thought Huddersfield would do it..... BUT THEY HAVE!"

I, like Giraffe, don't think in the least that it will happen, but.......

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I'm wiith the OP here. I know it sounds unlikely but if the back four contract rickets, the midfield go down with the plague and the forwards all break their ankles in a bizarre three legged race that went wrong, Udders coach finds a vial of super human muscle/brain enhancer left on a bus by a Russian weapons scientist trying to defect and they start racking up cricket scores in the last few games, ITS ALL OVER!!!!!! (Effectively).

:shrug:

LVGull

May 13, 2016

If we are 15 points ahead with Huddersfield with 5 games to go, the assumption is that even if we lose 4 and they win 5 they won't overtake us on goal difference. But they could and therefore it is not promotion, effectively or not.

Well it's 35 goals to make up. Say we lose all four of us 3-0 like at Forest, that's 12 of them. Could be worse at Norwich if they are on fire! 23 goals in the Huddersfield games is only 5-0 in four and 3-0 in another.

Oh okay, yes it isn't going to happen is it. But the phrase does for some reason make my blood boil. :albion2::albion2::albion2:

Have a day off will you. Can you provide a situation when a team has overcome a 35 goal deficit in 6/7 games in the top two divisions in England.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Have a day off will you. Can you provide a situation when a team has overcome a 35 goal deficit in 6/7 games in the top two divisions in England.

I cant but would you mind providing me with a situation where a team called Leicester City win the Premier League?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's like a perpetual Christmas Eve. You can see the present you asked for is there under the tree but you're not allowed to open the bugger.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Just posting my apologies in advance because if Preston win and we win at Wolves I will not be getting a grip or thinking it is nonsense that we are effectively promoted. Instead I will be jumping about with gay abandon unable to contain the knowledge that, barring WW3 or a large asteroid hitting our planet, the job is done. I imagine others at Wolves will be doing just the same.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Probably not THAT pleasing for the Albion fans around the world, who can't be there, to be honest...

Unlikely that our Villa game will be on TV on assumption that its mostly unlikely to be a factor in the play offs, top 2, or Champ race by then.
They show 2 games on the final day and Sheff Weds v Fulham as a play off decider is the one Sky are no doubt hoping for. with perhaps Wigan / Leeds as a relegation/play off decider to make it even better.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Hungover Albion losing 0:6 to Brizzle. Aint gonna happen. But you're right, I'm not celebrating until it is 100% certain with a P.

On the other hand, sod that we're up with or without that P

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And I can just hear Jeff Stelling on the final day of the Championship Season - "Well who would have thought Huddersfield would do it..... BUT THEY HAVE!"
Oh god don't. I can hear him clearly now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You're effectively correct. . . . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bore off, completely different subject all together.

Sorry to intrude into private grief but . . . . what does 'bore off' acually mean? I may have asked this question before. It is grammatical nonsense, and informs syntax like a little nugget of rabbit poo informs a bowl of muesli. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here