Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This is utterly ridiculous

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
How in the world do you know so well what kind of degree of accuracy the writers of the rules intended? ? ? ? ?

The rules were written and are interpreted as they are written--period!!!!

Just because referees in previous years couldn't "see" the play as well as VAR that the writers of the rules intended it that way.

I guess the writers of the laws of association football should have added “with the human eye”, but guess they couldn’t see into the future.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not often I disagree with you, a fellow man of Kent, but on this occasion I think you are wide of the mark.

Whatever the ins and outs of VAR it is undeniable it has taken away the spontaneous outpourings at a goal.

I've always taken a cursory glance at the linesman and checked the ref before going bat shit crazy - now those days are gone. Instead I'll wait for 5 minutes while VAR decide if they can disallow it, before waiting for the VAR decision words on the big screen "GOAL" - not the same is it!

No, I don't think we are in disagreement at all. We are certainly on the same page, I suspect, that VAR can and should be able to correct wrong decisions, but we just disagree on the extent this will make the game 'not what it was' in a bad way. I never said that VAR hasn't taken away the spontaneity. But even [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] must admit that goals have been disallowed before VAR (as you acknowledge), and yet there was 'spontaneity'. I think folk are conveniently forgetting how disappointed they were when a goal was chalked off before VAR. Perhaps the problem is now we know there will always be a VAR check. They don't usually take 5 minutes though. But even so, my response is 'so what'? Enjoy the spontneous moment, then take whatever VAR gives.

I am on the other end of the spectrum in that before VAR there was always a possibility a goal would be chalked off, and it has happened, and I found that a horrible horrible thing, so I simply found myself only ever spontaneously celebrating absolutely nailed on goals (which I still do). I was therefore rarely celebrating any goal until it had deffo been given. That's why I can take the new VAR experience 'standing on me head'.

Anyway each to his own. I commiserate with folk who will be giving up football now that their one bit of enjoyment, the heady rush of an untrammelled goal celebration has been cruelly snatched from them. I know that isn't you, but it does sound like some folk who have posted on NSC over the last year...:thumbsup:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have posted before that IMHO there should be clear daylight between the attacking player and the last defender, for him to be judged offside. I know that is not what the laws currently say ,so change it in order to reflect the spirit and purpose of the offside law.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Take the offside rule away

I keep seeing this, from some posters, and its a ridiculous, brainless idea. Try to think it through. All it would result in is a player, or players, being permanently stationed in the opposition box, jostling with a defender (or the keeper), waiting for a ball to be played in. It would reduce the game to a series of punts into the box for that player to get on the end of. No build-up play, no curved/arced runs to beat the offside trap, just the most basic form of playground football in order to get the ball as far forward as possible, as quickly as possible, bypassing the midfield.

Offside brings shape to a game. It means teams have to play with intelligence, guile, timing and imagination in order to beat the offside trap and get an opportunity on goal. Remove that, and the entire game is reduced to a series of thumps upfield and goalmouth scrambles. Which may bring in a load of scorelines like 16-14, but would become as boring as shit very, VERY quickly.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Parallax errors

Assistant eyes should reduce parallax error but so far it just makes two or three errors instead of one. The disallowed goal against West Ham was daylight robbery.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Oh, what a referee!?

Assistant eyes should reduce parallax error but so far it just makes two or three errors instead of one. The disallowed goal against West Ham was daylight robbery.

Errors by referee now added to by linesman and camera. And worst of all the biased TV pundits.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I keep seeing this, from some posters, and its a ridiculous, brainless idea. Try to think it through. All it would result in is a player, or players, being permanently stationed in the opposition box, jostling with a defender (or the keeper), waiting for a ball to be played in. It would reduce the game to a series of punts into the box for that player to get on the end of. No build-up play, no curved/arced runs to beat the offside trap, just the most basic form of playground football in order to get the ball as far forward as possible, as quickly as possible, bypassing the midfield.

Offside brings shape to a game. It means teams have to play with intelligence, guile, timing and imagination in order to beat the offside trap and get an opportunity on goal. Remove that, and the entire game is reduced to a series of thumps upfield and goalmouth scrambles. Which may bring in a load of scorelines like 16-14, but would become as boring as shit very, VERY quickly.

Presumably the offside rules were introduced to prevent the situation described above. One problem is that offside has become a game within the game. As referred to above, there is now an offside trap and players from both sides seek to implement or beat the offside trap. Surely this was not intended when the rules were written and surely the rule makers didn't intend that being technically offside by a toenail or an armpit would impact the game. It is hard to find the solution but what we should be looking for is a rule which prevents players hanging around upfield but which is not subject to minuscule measurements.

Nov 5, 2019
Would love to see a trial of some games(not Prem) played with no offside rule.Not sure if its been done before.Maybe in women;s football because they dont understand the offside rule ;)
I've heard an argument against doing away with offside being it would stretch the game but surely thats good.How often do we watch games where its all condensed in midfield.Seems ridiculous how a team can construct a great goal with great build up work only for it to be disallowed for offside because a player is 1 inch over.Stupid.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
How in the world do you know so well what kind of degree of accuracy the writers of the rules intended? ? ? ? ?

I wrote " could have never imagined possible" which I stand by

The rules were written and are interpreted as they are written--period!!!!
Refer to my first point. Yes it is possible (hardly plausible) that when the rules were first written down some incredibly (and I use the word in its correct meaning) forward thinking folk who had insight into technologies that would be available in the 2000's, and they thought, 'yep this will prevent someones armpit being in front of anthers knee'. Far more plausible is they wrote the rules so that Refs with current technology IE a pair of organic Photon Receptors would be able to discern if the rules had been broken. The rule was brought in to prevent goal hanging, the current interpretation is more in line with judging Gymnastics where the slightest flaw results in lost points. It is quite likely that this is going to lead to much more timid attacking, with players deliberately holding back to make absolutely certain they are not a millimetre in front. This is not the purpose of the rule.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In this weeks episode of 'try and tell me VAR is good', i would suggest you watch the sheffield utd disallowed goal for offside.

Utter bobbins on every level

Nov 5, 2019

Offside is a disaster and causes so many arguments.Its too difficult to get right and is too important because we are talking about was it a goal or not.
Personally I would like to see some trial games without offside.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Except that assistant referees are now instructed not to flag for offside - that will have to be rescinded first.

It doesn't mean they can't let pay continue a bit before putting their flag up, that is working OK - but then they should just make their call - if its marginal, so be it, we go with them. the howlers get over-ruled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here