Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This Is The Best Albion Side I have Ever Watched . . . & yet????

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
In the near on 40 years that l have been supporting the Albion, Roberto De Zerbi's side is by far and away the best and most exciting team that l have ever watched, and yet . . .

Despite all of our impressive possession stats and magnificent build up play we can still have problems breaking teams down, and converting the many chances that we make. When it comes to defending set pieces too, oh dear oh dear, we certainly have difficulties in that department.

Maybe it seems churlish to moan on about it, bearing in mind what an amazing season we are having, but yesterday in particular, l became so frustrated at our inablity to put the game to bed. The very same thing happened in our home games against Fulham and Aston Villa too, and probably others.

Perhaps watching an RDZ side it will always be thus, bearing in mind his total belief and reliance on attack at all costs, and not easily accepting a draw. It isn't helping my blood pressure though!

Y

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We scored three goals yesterday. Which bit of that equates to "still have problems breaking teams down"?
Yep. They defended in numbers and we still broke them down and create a lot of chances. Could have scored more, should have had another penalty, and still score 3.

Defensive mistakes, good finishing from them, and a bit of poor refereeing cost us the win (refereeing: that should have been a second penalty, and Tony completely dived for the free-kick that got them their third).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When De Zerbi says we can do even better you can see why. There’s even more to come. But no issues with breaking them down yesterday.

Three goals at home normally means you win the game. However, conceding three at home means you don’t deserve to.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Problem yesterday was we defended as badly as we have for a good few seasons. We should've won that 3, 4, 5 to maybe 1. Raya is an outstanding GK and their CBs are excellent and played well. Frank also got a lot of things right.
Initially yesterday I was frustrated because we should've scored more goals, but we did score 3 and had Dunk not had the worst game he has In as long as I can remember it would've been a stroll.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yesterday our defence which has been outstanding all season had an off day an letting in more goals than usual, while at the other end we scored three plus their keeper possibly had his best game of the season it really could have ended 7-3.

What was it they said on MOTD last night every outfield player on the Brighton team had two shots on target and that’s a first in the history of the premiership

From what I can see the team doesn’t suffer any lack in belief regarding the scoring of goals

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When De Zerbi says we can do even better you can see why. There’s even more to come. But no issues with breaking them down yesterday.

Three goals at home normally means you win the game. However, conceding three at home means you don’t deserve to.
Sorry, but the longer the second half went on, the more difficult it got to break them down. Solly was doing his damnest to try and carve an opening, but for long periods it really really wasn't happening. Took some really hard graft and a penalty to salvage a point in the end. Nothing wrong with that of course, Brentford are fully worthy of their league position, same as we are

el punal

In the near on 40 years that l have been supporting the Albion, Roberto De Zerbi's side is by far and away the best and most exciting team that l have ever watched, and yet . . .

Despite all of our impressive possession stats and magnificent build up play we can still have problems breaking teams down, and converting the many chances that we make. When it comes to defending set pieces too, oh dear oh dear, we certainly have difficulties in that department.

Maybe it seems churlish to moan on about it, bearing in mind what an amazing season we are having, but yesterday in particular, l became so frustrated at our inablity to put the game to bed. The very same thing happened in our home games against Fulham and Aston Villa too, and probably others.

Perhaps watching an RDZ side it will always be thus, bearing in mind his total belief and reliance on attack at all costs, and not easily accepting a draw. It isn't helping my blood pressure though!

Y
Since the start of the year we have had scorelines of 4-1, 5-1, 3-0, 2-2, 5-0, 4-0, 3-3 in no particular order, oh, and one defeat of 1-0. Somehow that doesn’t exactly show that we have problems in breaking teams down. So yes, you are being churlish. Just accept that our blood pressures are going to go through the roof and enjoy it because it sure is one hell of an exhilarating ride we’re on.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I think it's all perspective too. If I'd been watching that at home on the TV I'd have probably been annoyed at our slack defending. However, after spending c. £100 to see it live (tickets, train travel from Suffolk, food etc), I was determined to enjoy the game no matter what, and what a game it was. We are sublime. An absolute pleasure to watch. We make the technical, difficult things look easy. With the way we played the first half I didn't want it to end.

However, I can understand minor frustrations if you're a STH. Sometimes there are blessings with supporting the Albion from afar.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We broke them down repeatedly, as we do pretty much everyone we play.

Going back a few games, Fulham didn't "do a job on us", they didn't stop us playing, they just got very lucky that we were profligate with the many chances we created. Created by breaking them down repeatedly.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Yes l think that it does. We scored three but had chances to score many more. Two of the goals that we conceded were preventable too in my opinion.
I agree about the preventable goals. But that is completely unrelated to your point about having issues breaking teams down. We didn't yesterday. You're conflating two entirely different points.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yesterday our defence which has been outstanding all season had an off day an letting in more goals than usual, while at the other end we scored three plus their keeper possibly had his best game of the season it really could have ended 7-3.
10-3 according to a poster on the Brentford forum!
What was it they said on MOTD last night every outfield player on the Brighton team had two shots on target and that’s a first in the history of the premiership
Not quite - we 'only' had 15 shots on target! I think they just said two shots, not shots on taget.
From what I can see the team doesn’t suffer any lack in belief regarding the scoring of goals
Yes ............................. but just the one more would have been nice! :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has everyone forgotten that Brentford won AWAY at City? Why are people beating themselves up about not winning every game we deserve to? We’d be challenging for the title if we had, did anyone really expect that?

Yes, best ever side and I am bloody loving it, win, draw or very very occasionally lose. Yesterday was so entertaining, thrilling and frustrating with a get out of jail card late in the game. What’s not to like…unless you are getting a tad entitled?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here