Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This international break: England v ?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If It helped performance, I'm sure there would be a meeting to consider letting a player ringing a bell for a cheeky hand job because some sports scientists had found out that players play 3% better with less testosterone in their system.

There at studies that suggest you should have sex before sport. I told the wife, so Sunday morning before golf is now a common occurrence in the birdie boy household![emoji14]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
My favourite nomination for gutsy team did it again yesterday - Latvia 0 Faroes Islands 2.

The Faroes are now second in their group - ahead of Portugal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There is just to much international football now.

They should get rid of one of the international breaks before Christmas for a start.

We are told we play to much football and this harms our international side, yet fitting in 6 internationals before Xmas is half the issue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why not have 3. International matches in the first 2 weeks of De cember followed by a break of a week for Christmas this would give a break from the league for all with recovery time from injuries for those not taking part in internationals.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I knew we were playing Malta today and also playing either Slovenia or Slovakia early next week and i don't know on which day or the kick off times for these matches

I would watch them (if about at the time and not busy) but the reason i don't know isn't a lack of support for them but simply i haven't seen adverts for the games as i when i occasionally watch tv, tend to watch different channels rather than BBC / ITV and therefore no longer see the promos for their coverage of the games.

It's a bit like the Albion, i couldn't name the opponents or dates for our fixtures in December but it doesn't mean i don't support the Albion

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'd agree that only Southampton have produced a consistent crop of young players and no-one has come close to hitting Barcelona heights. The players have been there at times as well. I think 8 of the 11 who started Euro 2004 won the Champions league at some point in their career. A bang average Greece team won it.

So, the Investment is there. The players are sometimes there, at least for a trip to the odd semi final or final. The bits that a missing?.

However Southampton were able to bring through the youngsters from their academy and give them time and first team football because they were in the 2nd division and not in the Premier League. They had back to back promotions which meant that these players had been able to play as a side and develop where if he club had been a premier league side all along, they may have never got the chance and these same players may have been forced out by a lack of opportunity and may not have been as good if they had played a lot less first team games by the time they made their Premier League debuts and Southampton may have brought in ready made players instead of giving them the chance as there is so much money at stake and relegation costs a club so much due to the financial gulf between the top 2 divisions

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Hundreds of the top youngsters are grabbed by the big clubs academies and from this, only a handful will go on to play for the first team in the Premier League. This means that there are players who would break through if at a lower level team and gain valuable skills and experience but miss out on this important development stage but don't because they are at these big clubs, they become one, lost in a crowd rather than the big fish in a small pond if at a lower league club. How many players get let go by these bigger academies and disappear from the game but would have made it if originally in a lower league sides youth system? How many players do England lose to this system ?

Other countries have less money to play for in the top flight, they have players moving from their top flight to play in other countries which opens up space for the youngsters to come through and it's something we don't have here.

Too much money at stake and a lack of opportunity as space opens up in the top league in the country for these youngsters to take over = less young English players coming through and less choice for England managers

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Four of us, all football fans, had this discussion at lunch today. Not one of us knew which days England were playing on or if they had one or two fixtures let alone who they were playing or if they were home or away fixtures.

Says a lot for how much interest has waned in our national side.
But how do you explain the sell out at Wembley this evening?.... I can't fathom it after all the Euro crap followed by Big Sam shenanigans.... !!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Other countries have less money to play for in the top flight, they have players moving from their top flight to play in other countries which opens up space for the youngsters to come through and it's something we don't have here.

When we didn't have big money in the top league.. we still didn't export many players abroad, the odd one here and there, but mostly they stayed at home. So it seems to be a mindset.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
5263dc5be691b27240aec57c_736.jpg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
However Southampton were able to bring through the youngsters from their academy and give them time and first team football because they were in the 2nd division and not in the Premier League. They had back to back promotions which meant that these players had been able to play as a side and develop where if he club had been a premier league side all along, they may have never got the chance and these same players may have been forced out by a lack of opportunity and may not have been as good if they had played a lot less first team games by the time they made their Premier League debuts and Southampton may have brought in ready made players instead of giving them the chance as there is so much money at stake and relegation costs a club so much due to the financial gulf between the top 2 divisions

Maybe there is some truth in that but given that Barcelona can nurture youth and even the nauseating class of 92 from Man utd got into their first team, players will get the chance if they are good enough and in the right environment I.e nowhere near managers named Pulis or Jose or at a club owned by a itchy trigger fingered Chinese consortium.

Personal opinion is that if you give a 20 yr 25 grand a week don't be surprised if their motivation goes down and they act like a bell end. I was a right **** at that age without 20 bags of sand burning a hole in my pocket and a load of hangers on trying to spend it for me. This is where I believe club structures are underplayed. Current example being Spurs. How they have tied Kane, Ali and Dier to long contracts on half they could earn elsewhere I don't know.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If you are only interested in following the national side when it suits you i.e. when they are doing well then you aren't really much of a supporter are you.

I'm 49, please tell us when that moment occurred in my lifetime?

In all honesty, the bit that might kill England for me isn't the performances on the pitch no matter how bad they get - You can't change your nationality unless you are one of those people who invents an Irish relative when they start doing well. It's the next World Cups in Russia and Qatar. I'd rather put my cock in a blender than attend either of them.

This!

I wish I cared more but I cannot manufacture fake enthusiasm for a tournment which has been ruined by FIFA.

And this!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hundreds of the top youngsters are grabbed by the big clubs academies and from this, only a handful will go on to play for the first team in the Premier League. This means that there are players who would break through if at a lower level team and gain valuable skills and experience but miss out on this important development stage but don't because they are at these big clubs, they become one, lost in a crowd rather than the big fish in a small pond if at a lower league club. How many players get let go by these bigger academies and disappear from the game but would have made it if originally in a lower league sides youth system? How many players do England lose to this system ?

Too much money at stake and a lack of opportunity as space opens up in the top league in the country for these youngsters to take over = less young English players coming through and less choice for England managers

You rarely find English players moving the other way. The vast majority of players that come here can speak English or learn to do so very quickly. Players that go abroad don't have that skill, or want to learn.
Of course, there are exceptions but it's not common.

If English players played in foreign teams, more often, then they'd learn the different systems and be more adaptable.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Maybe there is some truth in that but given that Barcelona can nurture youth

Barcelona have a B team and had a C team in lower leagues where they can give their academy youngsters first team games and allow them to develop in meaningful matches rather then the youngsters only having one team to try to get into

Reserve teams in Spain play in the same league system as the senior team, rather than in a reserve team league. They must play at least one level below their main side, and thus Barcelona B are ineligible for promotion to La Liga and cannot play in the Copa del Rey.

Unlike the English League, youth teams in Spain play in the same football pyramid as their senior team rather than a separate league. However youth and reserve teams cannot play in the same division as their senior teams.

FC Barcelona C last played in the fourth division. They were ineligible for promotion to the third level, as FC Barcelona B were playing in that category. Club president Joan Laporta chose not inscribe the team in Primera Catalana for 2007–08, after the B team dropped to the fourth level.

Notable players for the C team include: Marc Bernaus, Lionel Messi, Franck Songo'o, Mikel Arteta, Sergio Busquets, Sergio García, Jordi Gómez, Toni Jiménez, Javi Moreno, Fernando Navarro, Carles Puyol, Pepe Reina, Francisco Rufete, Pedro Rodríguez, Roberto Trashorras, Joan Verdú And Víctor Valdés

and even the nauseating class of 92 from Man utd got into their first team, players will get the chance if they are good enough and in the right environment I.e nowhere near managers named Pulis or Jose or at a club owned by a itchy trigger fingered Chinese consortium.

Personal opinion is that if you give a 20 yr 25 grand a week don't be surprised if their motivation goes down and they act like a bell end. I was a right **** at that age without 20 bags of sand burning a hole in my pocket and a load of hangers on trying to spend it for me. This is where I believe club structures are underplayed. Current example being Spurs. How they have tied Kane, Ali and Dier to long contracts on half they could earn elsewhere I don't know.

RE: The class of '92 - the money i the PL was far less than it is now - Sky deal for 1992-97 was for a total of £191m over the whole deal or £38.2 a season (showing 60 games a year and 300 in total over their whole deal at a cost of £0.64m per game)

Premier League TV cost of rights 2016-19 is £5.136bn, or £1.7133bn a season (showing 168 games live at an average cost of £10.19m per game)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31379128

Harry Kane only got his chance at Spurs due to a major injury crisis and as they had no one else available so had to throw him in. If they had more experienced players available, then i doubt he would have played and become the star he has. The same could be said of Rashford at Man Utd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here