Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THIRTEEN foreign languages on the reverse side of a letter from the NHS!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I can picture you both now. Holiday in Costa del Sol, sitting on a dirty lawnchair outside "'Jim's Cafe'. "Facking lovely full English breakfast, none of this foreign muck. What the f*ck is pie-ay-lar anyway?"

Being on holiday somewhere and not knowing the language is fairly acceptable. Living in a country and making no effort to learn the language is just totally unacceptable and taxpayers' money should not be used to assist the lazy feckers.

Personally I pretty much only go on holiday to countries where English (or a version of it) is the native language as I can't be bothered to deal with foreign languages when I'm on my hols.

BlackDove

Oct 10, 2016
Being on holiday somewhere and not knowing the language is fairly acceptable. Living in a country and making no effort to learn the language is just totally unacceptable and taxpayers' money should not be used to assist the lazy feckers.

Personally I pretty much only go on holiday to countries where English (or a version of it) is the native language as I can't be bothered to deal with foreign languages when I'm on my hols.

You ever tried to learn a new language? How about when you're an older person who perhaps doesn't have a lot of contact with native speakers. Especially if you live in an area where native speakers shout abuse at you.

Now I have lived abroad and tried to learn to speak the language with limited success. I had no chance of learning to read the language, not while I was spending most of my time working and contributing to their economy. I agree that people should try and make the effort but we should also be more understanding of how difficult it is, especially when it comes to the written word about potentially difficult medical terms.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You ever tried to learn a new language? How about when you're an older person who perhaps doesn't have a lot of contact with native speakers. Especially if you live in an area where native speakers shout abuse at you.

Now I have lived abroad and tried to learn to speak the language with limited success. I had no chance of learning to read the language, not while I was spending most of my time working and contributing to their economy. I agree that people should try and make the effort but we should also be more understanding of how difficult it is, especially when it comes to the written word about potentially difficult medical terms.

Learned two at school (in fact two O Levels!) but never used them.

Jan 30, 2008
The reality of life is that if you choose to remove multillingual translations from stuff like this then you will automatically spend MILLIONS more through inefficiencies such as missed/unproductive appointments, a reduced quality of care and crucially a greater dependency on A&E.

Just ****ing think for once.
:dunce:
regards
DR

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
Pretty sure most countries will english speaker in their hospitals. No need to worry, the English language is staying strong!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Then why have we let them in ? Why ? When did this country become a fvcking charity ?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Prejudice - immigrants don't pay tax.
Fantasy - Providing letters with translations are a) a massive drain on the NHS budget, b) Only aimed at people that can't or won't speak English.
I didn't say immigrants don't pay tax, I questioned whether immigrants who don't speak english do, I also question whether immigrants who need translation services are making an effort.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Actually I think it is terrible when people don't learn the language if they are going to live in another country, because when you learn the language it is so much easier to get things done, and so much easier if you need to tell a medical professional about your problems, just like in this country. We shouldn't be spending money on translation end of.

By the way my mum is Italian, she doesn't expect translations in Italian, and she is the first one to say it is a complete waste of money. My wife also has a degree in Modern Foreign Languages, so your stereotypical image of me is wrong, it's actually quite funny.

There is also nothing wrong with a good old English fry up either and a nice cuppa in the morning when you are abroad, because sometimes a baguette with salami or cheese just doesn't cut in the morning.

Apparently you are guilty of prejudice, wacism, and xenophobic drivel . .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Yes, I do see your point - a bit of both would not go amiss. But if you make it too easy for some folk not to learn the lingo, then it is highly likely that they will not make the required effort. Was your situation quite the same? perhaps a fixed contract for a limited period of time, and if you knew that were not there for a long period, then this would inevitably and understandably affect one's willingness. But if folk come here and intend to make Britain their permanent home, then it behoves them over time, and allowing for the difficulties which you mention in your first para, to learn the language. IF you really want to, then I am sure that it is possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here