Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third Test England v South Africa, The Oval, July 27-31

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
South Africa 156-8 (51.3 overs) Bavuma 44* Morkel 16*

That puts the follow-on discussion to bed... now to get on with taking these two wickets.

Not going to happen soon. Especially the way Broad is bowling. Spinner needed

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
SA 175 all out

Toby Roland-Jones 16.4-4-FIVE-57 :clap2:

Elgar, Kuhn, Amla, de Kock and Bavuma... 5 of the top 6 :bowdown:

England lead by 178

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Now up to our batsmen to put on 250+ today which they are quite capable of. Subject to the weather there should be a result in this game with a team taking the lead in the series.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Off for rain. 44 partnership for the new boys Jennings 34* and Westley 28* :clap2:

England 74-1(21.2 overs), leading by 252

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Probably going to pleut the rest of day as well.
Let's hope we can have some traditional stoic batting, and get a draw out of this.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Inspection at 17.30 but think it is still raining at the Oval, good job there are two days to get the job finished...

EDIT: Not bothering with the 17.30 Inspection and we are done for the day.

252 ahead, get up to 375-400 lead before Tea tomorrow and then put them in?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We could live to regret not getting them out a bit quicker and enforcing the follow on - those last twenty odd runs they scored could be a match changer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We could live to regret not getting them out a bit quicker and enforcing the follow on - those last twenty odd runs they scored could be a match changer.

Don't we have extended time on the next two days ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Let's hope we can have some traditional stoic batting, and get a draw out of this.

I fully understand that you are taking the p..s but a draw is the least that we should expect from this position. The big question is what target do we set them so as to allow ourselves enough time to bowl them out but put the game out of their reach.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don't we have extended time on the next two days ?

Yes, but with rain, and possible interruptions, batting gets harder. If it was nice and sunny, with a pitch doing f all, batting SA out of the game would be a strategy - but if we struggle to make runs and start losing wickets easily it gives them an 'in'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Against all my principals I would go for 1 day batting until lunch time tomorrow (4th day) and then go for the win as we should have a sufficient lead to not lose.

Thats it for today no more play.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Against all my principals I would go for 1 day batting until lunch time tomorrow (4th day) and then go for the win as we should have a sufficient lead to not lose.

You would declare with a lead of 350 and 5 sessions to play with the weather set fair?

Some would call that brave, others would be less kind.

larus

You would declare with a lead of 350 and 5 sessions to play with the weather set fair?

Some would call that brave, others would be less kind.

I would expect a steady accumulation of runs and a declaration about 30 mins before tea. This should be ample time to get a lead of close to 450 (assuming the rate it 4 to 4.5 per over). 4 sessions on a pitch which still appears to be doing something and where some degree of cloud is forecast over the 2 days should be enough. This does of course assume that we don't somehow capitulate in the morning.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I would expect a steady accumulation of runs and a declaration about 30 mins before tea. This should be ample time to get a lead of close to 450 (assuming the rate it 4 to 4.5 per over). 4 sessions on a pitch which still appears to be doing something and where some degree of cloud is forecast over the 2 days should be enough. This does of course assume that we don't somehow capitulate in the morning.
That is much closer to the mark!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Bit of a gamble (remember SA lost 7 wickets for f-all, and whilst 'one day' batting is fine, there wouldn't be a one-day field), and as you indicate contrary to just about everything you've ever posted on test match cricket :)

I reckon assuming weather is OK we'll bat much of tomorrow, aiming for 100+ runs in each of the first two sessions to be 400+ ahead before declaring and giving them a sticky hour or two in the evening's extended session.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Enjoying the Best of Bumble

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here