[Cricket] Third test: England v India at Southampton, Jul 27-31

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Breaking news: Jimmy not guilty of breaching code of conduct.

Thank goodness for that, common sense prevails.

I think the Indians have a lot to answer for though, a clear attempt to get Jimmy banned.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Thank goodness for that, common sense prevails.

I think the Indians have a lot to answer for though, a clear attempt to get Jimmy banned.

I'm really torn on this, because I do think the England team are capable of crossing the line, and when you hear some of the stuff Anderson said about threatening to knock his teeth out thats not right. England certainly didn't think so when Clarke wanted to break Andersons arm last year. But on the other flip of the coin Anderson calling him an F***ing P**K and F***ing C**t hardly seems the end of the world, I think everybodys been called those things at some point in their life and most saturday cricketers would tell you they get called something on a cricket pitch most weekends. For a bit of swearing this whole thing seems really seems over the top, the threats of violence aren't very nice but probably should have been put down as handbags, it's not like anyone got punched. Ultimately it shouldn't have gone this far, someone from both sides probably just needed a chat with them to say they were crossing the line.

Stumpy Tim

England certainly didn't think so when Clarke wanted to break Andersons arm last year.

Erm. England didn't complain, and even played it down. It was picked up by the Stump Mic & the Australians were fined. England & Australia both see it as part of the game, while the Indians don't. That's the fundamental cultural difference between the games three power-houses.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm really torn on this, because I do think the England team are capable of crossing the line, and when you hear some of the stuff Anderson said about threatening to knock his teeth out thats not right. England certainly didn't think so when Clarke wanted to break Andersons arm last year. But on the other flip of the coin Anderson calling him an F***ing P**K and F***ing C**t hardly seems the end of the world, I think everybodys been called those things at some point in their life and most saturday cricketers would tell you they get called something on a cricket pitch most weekends. For a bit of swearing this whole thing seems really seems over the top, the threats of violence aren't very nice but probably should have been put down as handbags, it's not like anyone got punched. Ultimately it shouldn't have gone this far, someone from both sides probably just needed a chat with them to say they were crossing the line.

Maybe the wife should read about taking things like this too far but I am too scared to show her.........

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Erm. England didn't complain, and even played it down. It was picked up by the Stump Mic & the Australians were fined. England & Australia both see it as part of the game, while the Indians don't. That's the fundamental cultural difference between the games three power-houses.

England didn't play it down. Cook was in the press saying they'd crossed a line.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
England didn't play it down. Cook was in the press saying they'd crossed a line.

Actually now I think about it might have been the comments about Trott that they said had crossed the line, but even still same principle.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Actually now I think about it might have been the comments about Trott that they said had crossed the line, but even still same principle.

Not really, Cook would never have mentioned until the media got hold of it. He was then asked a direct question if they had crossed the line, and he intimidated that maybe they had. That is very different to Cook coming out revealing to the press they'd crossed the line which is what you are suggesting.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Not really, Cook would never have mentioned until the media got hold of it. He was then asked a direct question if they had crossed the line, and he intimidated that maybe they had. That is very different to Cook coming out revealing to the press they'd crossed the line which is what you are suggesting.

The point I was making was not that Cook did the same thing as Dhoni, which appears to be the confusion. The point I was making is that regardless of how it came out England were unhappy about the Australian sledging, and there were suggestions that Australia had crossed the line, yet Anderson seems to have free reign and when he does it's just aggressive banter or within the game.

On a side note Cook being asked a question by the press and him going tothe press are exactly the same thing. He's an interntaional cricket captain, whether he goes to them or they come to him is splitting hairs. The difference is he said he didn't like some things but didn't suggest that anyone get charged.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
On another note, I read in the paper this morning about the calendar for next year.

In 2015, England are scheduled to play SEVETEEN Tests, and THIRTY ODI's. Absolutely ridiculous. How can the top players possibly be expected to perform at their best, if they play so many games. Its a joke.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Was going to say that. The comments about Trott did cross the line to be fair, but I remember seeing Anderson playing the broken arm comments down

To be honest I thought the comments about Trott weren't that bad. Like Michael Vaughan said after Trott's quick return to cricket, he made a mockery out of guys like Trescothick who were genuinely struggling with mental health issues. Nobody criticised him at the time because he said it was a mental health issue. Then afterwards said he was burnout. They're two very different things.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
On another note, I read in the paper this morning about the calendar for next year.

In 2015, England are scheduled to play SEVETEEN Tests, and THIRTY ODI's. Absolutely ridiculous. How can the top players possibly be expected to perform at their best, if they play so many games. Its a joke.

That's actually a little bit inaccurate. The tour to South Africa starts December 2015, with a 4 test series, and 5 ODI's. It's not scheduled yet, but the tour is pencilled for Dec through to Feb 2016. In SA they have often played the T20's first, then the ODI's, then the tests. It could be that once scheduled most of the ODI's and all the tests will actually be in 2016.

It's the world cup next year, so that's why there are so many ODI's

Even so, it is still an incredible amount of cricket.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
That's actually a little bit inaccurate. The tour to South Africa starts December 2015, with a 4 test series, and 5 ODI's. It's not scheduled yet, but the tour is pencilled for Dec through to Feb 2016. In SA they have often played the T20's first, then the ODI's, then the tests. It could be that once scheduled most of the ODI's and all the tests will actually be in 2016.

It's the world cup next year, so that's why there are so many ODI's

Even so, it is still an incredible amount of cricket.

As a fan I love the fact there's lots of cricket, it's the only reason I have sky, but you can't deny that there is too much for the top players to contend with. It's not like the football season, where top players might flight out to europe midweek and bee home the next day. They spend months on end on the road away from their families. It is too much to expect them to perform at their peak continuously.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a fan I love the fact there's lots of cricket, it's the only reason I have sky, but you can't deny that there is too much for the top players to contend with. It's not like the football season, where top players might flight out to europe midweek and bee home the next day. They spend months on end on the road away from their families. It is too much to expect them to perform at their peak continuously.

There is a lot more cricket, but effectively it is 3 different England squads for Tests, ODI's and T20's. The concern comes for the players who bridge all 3 formats like Broad and Jimmy who just aren't necessarily getting the rest they need and carry knocks throughout the year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports